Sow and Dipity
Sow and Dipity
  • Canada

Heirloom Pumpkins, Gourds and Squashes

I think just about everything you can imagine has been done to a pumpkin in the name of decor. Some are fabulous, other's...meh.
Heirloom varieties are gorgeous all on their own. Some are freaky looking and covered with warts, others already possess beautiful colored mosaic patterned skins.
As far as this gardener is concerned... the best way to decorate pumpkins is to decorate WITH them. Here's some pics of my favorites this year.
Warty pumpkins are fabulous! No need to freak these up anymore.
I'm in love with gourds this year, even planted in them, see: http://www.hometalk.com/2357871/gourds-as-fall-planters
This is one of my treasured finds this year, it's greenish blue skin is super smooth and it has these great raised brown warts.
Honestly... how could you improve on this. Mother Nature is the best pumpkin decorator EVER :)
These heirloom squashes were found at a local nursery, look at the fab colors and textures!
Everybody loves these mini white pumpkins, perfect all on their own
See this sage green pumpkin in a beautiful fall tablescape here: http://www.hometalk.com/2400883/rustic-vintage-tablescape

Sow and Dipity

• Harriette Brice

Does anyone know what this is? It started out looking like a light green/dark green peanut, then one end grew more than the other end. Now dark green with a few light green spots. It is probably 10-15 pounds and probably 18 inches long and at least 5-6 inches in diameter. It is presently growing in a wire planter hanger on my lattice on the porch. I have wash cloths to keep it from scraping into the skin. I keep moving it around so it will not grow into the wire hanger. It is now getting groves in the skin, but not deep so far.

• Sow and Dipity

@Harriette Brice That most definitely is a zucchini... a little mishapped lol, but the leaves look about right. Squashes cross with other squashes quite easily... so you may get something that's hard to identify. Eats the same though! I had a few seeds that traveled with compost to other area's of my garden... got some new varieties I KNOW I never had last year, lol. Harvest that thing soon and make yourself some yummy chocolate zucchini loaves ;)

• Harriette Brice

I don't know about chocolate zucchini but I can go along with zucchini bread or pies from them. I actually measure it today. 22 inches long and circumference of the large end 30.5. My guessing was not very good. Will see how much more it grows, still growing daily. Did not measure small end. Will weigh when I pick it, guessing 10-15 pounds at present.