Would you put curtains over french doors?

+72
I have the french doors in my living room. The living room is separated by a large fireplace. It goes out into a sunroom.
q would you put curtians over french doors i have them in myliving room, doors, window treatments, That s the living room with the French doors Would you put window treaments over and what kind
That's the living room with the French doors. Would you put window treaments over and what kind?
  • Carolanne Carolanne on Nov 02, 2016
    Yes, I would co-ordinate with the wall color so that the fireplace is the focal point. Shades or blinds.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 02, 2016
    I like the natural light with nothing on my windows. A matter of preference.
  • Rai2755762 Rai2755762 on Nov 02, 2016
    Beautiful as is!
  • William William on Nov 02, 2016
    My opinion! Curtains on french doors is kind of tacky. They look good with no covering, allow natural light in, and a great architectural detail. If privacy was an issue (yours are not), I would cover the glass panes with a translucent contact paper. Love the transoms above the doors.
  • Black Hills Rosie Black Hills Rosie on Nov 02, 2016
    My French doors are direct to outdoors deck and so much hot sun came through. I finally hung sheers to an extra wide rod with rings so that I can pull them back. The rod extends past the outer edges of the doors so that the sheers only frame the doors then. I really like that yours open to a sun room.
  • Mari Ro Mari Ro on Nov 02, 2016
    I have bamboo blinds over my french doors.
  • Estelle Combs Estelle Combs on Nov 03, 2016
    I might "stain glass" or frost the panes to let in light but provide privacy too. Both can be achieved with a painting technique.
  • Tina Tina on Nov 03, 2016
    I had curtains on my French Doors and took them down. It looks much nicer without.
  • Ann Ann on Nov 03, 2016
    My french doors go directly outside and privacy is not an issue but I put sheer curtains up using magnetic curtain rods for a change of decor. I can take them down anytime.
  • Don2409630 Don2409630 on Nov 03, 2016
    No unless the privacy is needed. It lets the outside come in! The room looks as if it continues outside.
  • Brenda Brenda on Nov 03, 2016
    If you do drapes just do door and not transom
  • Sdd1195258 Sdd1195258 on Nov 03, 2016
    Definitely not!
  • Prugal Prugal on Nov 03, 2016
    French doors are decorative by themselves, if it s not a privacy issue show them off!!!
  • Sandy Hopper Webster Sandy Hopper Webster on Nov 03, 2016
    Absolutely not. Blinds or roman shades above maybe if you need privacy
  • Rob4895957 Rob4895957 on Nov 03, 2016
    No.
  • Mary Mary on Nov 03, 2016
    Will add sheer curtains from ceiling to floor to add a touch of warm to the room
  • Deb Baleston Deb Baleston on Nov 03, 2016
    I also have french doors in my livingroom that leads to the deck on the southside of my house. Sun beats in like a mad gorilla. I didn't want the LR to be dark so I used a cornstarch paste to paint the glass panels and "painted" on some of my favorite lace. LOVE this technique and has made a difference in LR temp as well as adding privacy. Check out for full directions: https://annabelvita.com/2013/04/18/lace-windo... Have fun with it!
  • Lu Ann Sieber Lu Ann Sieber on Nov 03, 2016
    I have done the stained glass frosting (and designs) on my french doors. turned out beautiful and lets the light in, but not as glaring. You can make it as elaborate or as simple as you want......lots of choices!!
  • Lillian Whitworth Lillian Whitworth on Nov 03, 2016
    Yes I would. I have a French door separating sunroom and kitchen. The glare is sometimes to much.
  • Carole Bisby Carole Bisby on Nov 03, 2016
    I would add blinds to them. They have the paper ones like an accordion and you can pull them up all the way when you want or what ever length you want for the time of day!!
  • Kathleen Kathleen on Nov 03, 2016
    As Mary has stated, sheers on the side, does add a touch of warmth to the room and a touch of elegance.
  • Sophia,M.,McConnery Sophia,M.,McConnery on Nov 03, 2016
    Depending on the curtains thickens,that would be the issue.Are you trying to reduce heat from the doors or is it just for some privacy?
  • B J  Alexis B J Alexis on Nov 03, 2016
    Agree with Sophia, depends on why--if to keep out cold or heat, drapes or even tightly woven sheers, if just for privacy I would have something like bamboo shades installed, in a light color, but only over the doors.
  • Polly Fuller Polly Fuller on Nov 03, 2016
    i had the same arrangement in my house in Georgia. It's beautiful just as it is with all the wonderful light coming into the room. if you need privacy, you can put poles on brackets over the doors and have curtains with rings that you can slide over to cover in the evening. i would put them close to the wall not to compromise the windows
  • Kim Fair Kim Fair on Nov 03, 2016
    I think regular curtains would block out the light--which you need and cover up the great element of the transom and doors-- yet there seems to 've something missing here. Perhaps interesting new door knobs-- or paint the ones you have. Also-- I think it would look great and add some uniqueness if you etched the glass in the transom. That way you keep the light but make it your place. Good luck. It's a nice room.
  • Dale Diane Hedgecough Dale Diane Hedgecough on Nov 03, 2016
    if you do not need drapes for warmth or privacy your decorating does not need them
  • Char Char on Nov 03, 2016
    if you need privacy, use frosted contact paper or spray. you could do some of the windowlets and leave others without. it gives it a classy look. i didn't like curtains on mine but if i had swing arms curtain rods i would have liked that much better. but they are pricey for those rods
  • Tricia Jackson Jones Tricia Jackson Jones on Nov 03, 2016
    My mother used sheers with a pocket rod at the top and bottom to keep the sheer from getting caught in the doors. I suppose you could also put drapes to either side of the doors and just close them when needed. Is it because of the glare on the TV? Not really sure because the picture is dark, but it looks like the TV might be above the fireplace. Could you move the TV?
  • Dawn Dawn on Nov 03, 2016
    I would put up curtain rods and use a sheer curtain from top of door to the floor. It lets in light but you have the privacy from the covering.
  • Maria Maria on Nov 03, 2016
    Paint the doors a bright color. You could use this color as accent on your fireplace trim. Sheers in a neutral color secured with thin rods at top and bottom of doors. I have a door-height narrow window at our front door; and used a 72" high window sheer secured in this same way. It stays put when the door is opened, lets in light, but gives privacy.
  • Cherol Cherol on Nov 03, 2016
    You could do a pocket curtain on each door. You could also use curtains installed with a decorative rod or mini-blinds.
  • Vickie Jacobs Burley Vickie Jacobs Burley on Nov 03, 2016
    I use sheer curtains with pocket rods at the top and bottom of my French doors. The sheers still let in the light, but provides some privacy. They don't prevent the sun's glare on the television, though.
  • Baby girl Baby girl on Nov 03, 2016
    Roman shades look great on these doors-I have them on mine!
  • Cfg13631738 Cfg13631738 on Nov 03, 2016
    I love them as they are
  • IFortuna IFortuna on Nov 03, 2016
    I love them as they are but you could add sheers along the outer moldings of the doors to soften the edges. : )
  • Marlene Marlene on Nov 03, 2016
    Yes...perhaps lacey ones...if that is your style. It gives private with an open look.
  • Pea Pea on Nov 03, 2016
    Hi, the other option is the sticky plastic used to be called Mactak in my day. You can purchase it at Home Depot it comes in opaque clear colour in varied patterns, or if you want to use just the frosted pattern in strips, in varying widths it would give you privacy in the rooms, yet light would shine through, it is modern and it can be removed at any time.
  • Arlene Hill Arlene Hill on Nov 03, 2016
    Not unless you feel you need the privatsy
  • Brenda Coleman Brenda Coleman on Nov 03, 2016
    when you put curtains on French doors what you need are the small round curtain rods at the top and bottom of each door. Then you gather your curtain up on the rods. This way when you open up the doors your curtain is secure on the door not swinging loose which can cause it to get caught in the doors. The curtain must be attached to both the top and bottom of each door to look right.
  • Dcarpenter Dcarpenter on Nov 03, 2016
    I just put panels over my sliding glass doors and love the look and convenience. They might work nicely over french doors too.
  • Marj Marj on Nov 03, 2016
    I think sheers are pretty on French Doors.
  • Beth Hayes Beth Hayes on Nov 04, 2016
    I also have french doors, but mine exit from the morning room or dinette onto a deck. I placed curtains with easy on/off tie backs. This provides privacy at night but can be opened for full light during the day. My curtains are hung on large ring's so I can push them easily out of the way. I've had them this way for 10 years and I love it.
  • Eli12371340 Eli12371340 on Nov 04, 2016
    never!!
  • Fluffette Fluffette on Nov 04, 2016
    It depends. I have them myself but mine have a beautiful view of our back pasture. If the view were of another room i would consider elegant lace or sheers.
  • Vickilee Vickilee on Nov 04, 2016
    I have very lightweight Roman Shades in white. You can keep them half way up, closed or open. They look great in my living room.