Asked on Nov 2, 2016

Would you put curtains over french doors?

Mary BogerConnieSharon Marie Doughty
+72

I have the french doors in my living room. The living room is separated by a large fireplace. It goes out into a sunroom.
That's the living room with the French doors. Would you put window treaments over and what kind?
  • Carolanne
    Carolanne

Yes, I would co-ordinate with the wall color so that the fireplace is the focal point. Shades or blinds.

Janet Pizaro

I like the natural light with nothing on my windows. A matter of preference.

• Rai2755762
    Rai2755762

Beautiful as is!

William

My opinion! Curtains on french doors is kind of tacky. They look good with no covering, allow natural light in, and a great architectural detail. If privacy was an issue (yours are not), I would cover the glass panes with a translucent contact paper. Love the transoms above the doors.

• Black Hills Rosie
    Black Hills Rosie

My French doors are direct to outdoors deck and so much hot sun came through. I finally hung sheers to an extra wide rod with rings so that I can pull them back. The rod extends past the outer edges of the doors so that the sheers only frame the doors then. I really like that yours open to a sun room.

• Mari Ro
    Mari Ro

I have bamboo blinds over my french doors.

• Estelle Combs
    Estelle Combs

I might "stain glass" or frost the panes to let in light but provide privacy too. Both can be achieved with a painting technique.

• Tina
    Tina

I had curtains on my French Doors and took them down. It looks much nicer without.

• Ann
    Ann

My french doors go directly outside and privacy is not an issue but I put sheer curtains up using magnetic curtain rods for a change of decor. I can take them down anytime.

• Don2409630
    Don2409630

No unless the privacy is needed. It lets the outside come in! The room looks as if it continues outside.

• Brenda
    Brenda

If you do drapes just do door and not transom

• Sdd1195258
    Sdd1195258

Definitely not!

• Prugal
    Prugal

French doors are decorative by themselves, if it s not a privacy issue show them off!!!

• Sandy Hopper Webster
    Sandy Hopper Webster

Absolutely not. Blinds or roman shades above maybe if you need privacy

• Rob4895957
    Rob4895957

No.

• Mary
    Mary

Will add sheer curtains from ceiling to floor to add a touch of warm to the room

• Deb Baleston
    Deb Baleston

I also have french doors in my livingroom that leads to the deck on the southside of my house. Sun beats in like a mad gorilla. I didn't want the LR to be dark so I used a cornstarch paste to paint the glass panels and "painted" on some of my favorite lace. LOVE this technique and has made a difference in LR temp as well as adding privacy. Check out for full directions: https://annabelvita.com/2013/04/18/lace-windo... Have fun with it!

• Lu Ann Sieber
    Lu Ann Sieber

I have done the stained glass frosting (and designs) on my french doors. turned out beautiful and lets the light in, but not as glaring. You can make it as elaborate or as simple as you want......lots of choices!!

• Lillian Whitworth
    Lillian Whitworth

Yes I would. I have a French door separating sunroom and kitchen. The glare is sometimes to much.

• Carole Bisby
    Carole Bisby

I would add blinds to them. They have the paper ones like an accordion and you can pull them up all the way when you want or what ever length you want for the time of day!!

• Kathleen
    Kathleen

As Mary has stated, sheers on the side, does add a touch of warmth to the room and a touch of elegance.

• Sophia,M.,McConnery
    Sophia,M.,McConnery

Depending on the curtains thickens,that would be the issue.Are you trying to reduce heat from the doors or is it just for some privacy?

• B J  Alexis
    B J Alexis

Agree with Sophia, depends on why--if to keep out cold or heat, drapes or even tightly woven sheers, if just for privacy I would have something like bamboo shades installed, in a light color, but only over the doors.

• Polly Fuller
    Polly Fuller

i had the same arrangement in my house in Georgia. It's beautiful just as it is with all the wonderful light coming into the room. if you need privacy, you can put poles on brackets over the doors and have curtains with rings that you can slide over to cover in the evening. i would put them close to the wall not to compromise the windows

• Kim Fair
    Kim Fair

I think regular curtains would block out the light--which you need and cover up the great element of the transom and doors-- yet there seems to 've something missing here. Perhaps interesting new door knobs-- or paint the ones you have. Also-- I think it would look great and add some uniqueness if you etched the glass in the transom. That way you keep the light but make it your place. Good luck. It's a nice room.

• Dale Diane Hedgecough
    Dale Diane Hedgecough

if you do not need drapes for warmth or privacy your decorating does not need them

• Char
    Char

if you need privacy, use frosted contact paper or spray. you could do some of the windowlets and leave others without. it gives it a classy look. i didn't like curtains on mine but if i had swing arms curtain rods i would have liked that much better. but they are pricey for those rods

• Tricia Jackson Jones
    Tricia Jackson Jones

My mother used sheers with a pocket rod at the top and bottom to keep the sheer from getting caught in the doors. I suppose you could also put drapes to either side of the doors and just close them when needed. Is it because of the glare on the TV? Not really sure because the picture is dark, but it looks like the TV might be above the fireplace. Could you move the TV?

• Dawn
    Dawn

I would put up curtain rods and use a sheer curtain from top of door to the floor. It lets in light but you have the privacy from the covering.

• Maria
    Maria

Paint the doors a bright color. You could use this color as accent on your fireplace trim. Sheers in a neutral color secured with thin rods at top and bottom of doors. I have a door-height narrow window at our front door; and used a 72" high window sheer secured in this same way. It stays put when the door is opened, lets in light, but gives privacy.

• Cherol
    Cherol

You could do a pocket curtain on each door. You could also use curtains installed with a decorative rod or mini-blinds.

• Vickie Jacobs Burley
    Vickie Jacobs Burley

I use sheer curtains with pocket rods at the top and bottom of my French doors. The sheers still let in the light, but provides some privacy. They don't prevent the sun's glare on the television, though.

• Baby girl
    Baby girl

Roman shades look great on these doors-I have them on mine!

• Cfg13631738
    Cfg13631738

I love them as they are

• IFortuna
    IFortuna

I love them as they are but you could add sheers along the outer moldings of the doors to soften the edges. : )

• Marlene
    Marlene

Yes...perhaps lacey ones...if that is your style. It gives private with an open look.

• Pea
    Pea

Hi, the other option is the sticky plastic used to be called Mactak in my day. You can purchase it at Home Depot it comes in opaque clear colour in varied patterns, or if you want to use just the frosted pattern in strips, in varying widths it would give you privacy in the rooms, yet light would shine through, it is modern and it can be removed at any time.

• Arlene Hill
    Arlene Hill

Not unless you feel you need the privatsy

• Brenda Coleman
    Brenda Coleman

when you put curtains on French doors what you need are the small round curtain rods at the top and bottom of each door. Then you gather your curtain up on the rods. This way when you open up the doors your curtain is secure on the door not swinging loose which can cause it to get caught in the doors. The curtain must be attached to both the top and bottom of each door to look right.

• Dcarpenter
    Dcarpenter

I just put panels over my sliding glass doors and love the look and convenience. They might work nicely over french doors too.

• Marj
    Marj

I think sheers are pretty on French Doors.

• Beth Hayes
    Beth Hayes

I also have french doors, but mine exit from the morning room or dinette onto a deck. I placed curtains with easy on/off tie backs. This provides privacy at night but can be opened for full light during the day. My curtains are hung on large ring's so I can push them easily out of the way. I've had them this way for 10 years and I love it.

• Eli12371340
    Eli12371340

never!!

• Fluffette
    Fluffette

It depends. I have them myself but mine have a beautiful view of our back pasture. If the view were of another room i would consider elegant lace or sheers.

• Vickilee
    Vickilee

I have very lightweight Roman Shades in white. You can keep them half way up, closed or open. They look great in my living room.

• Beth Simon Goyert
    Beth Simon Goyert

No, but I suggest either sheet or lace curtains that fits for the French doors

• Sandra
    Sandra

I don't know how old this post is, but I would never put curtains on those doors. We bought French doors with blinds inside, and we seldom use them. We keep them completely pulled to the top. Why miss,the view?

• Victoria
    Victoria

Depends on what the view is, and how much light control/privacy you need. I would go with sheers or a lace panel.

• Kathy
    Kathy

I would use pleated blinds, either in the color of the room (s), or plain cream or white or even a sheer lace. You can raise/lower them at will for light and view control. Or, consider sheer panels that are gathered at top and bottom, like those you often see on sidelights at entry doors.

• Jane Butler
    Jane Butler

I would never put anything up either

• Donna Mann
      Donna Mann

I agree Jane. too beautiful the way it is. Besides, it would cut down the natural light immensely.
  • Jackie Byrd
    Jackie Byrd

Because of your transom windows, I would not hang draperies. If there is a privacy issue, then I would use something like a sheer curtains on a rod pocket.

• Diane Babb
    Diane Babb

lace panels would add great looks and allow you to still see thru

• Mary
    Mary

would put the curtain rod up to the crown and about a foot past e doors. You will have to find or make extra long curtains. In the cooler months you can open the doors and close the curtains getting fresh air and keeping privacy. when the doors are closed and the curtains open you have full light

• Joanie
    Joanie

If you have a lot of property and are secluded I would not hide them with curtains. Leave the light in and the wide OPEN outside. It is beautiful the way it is.
  • Mary
    Mary

I meant to say a foot past either side but when they are closed they cover they cover the doors when open the doors can be opened with the curtains behind them

• Retta Robinson
    Retta Robinson

Use nothing; let in whatever light you can. Privacy shouldn't be an issue since the doors open onto a sunroom.
  • Sondra
    Sondra

I would if I wanted to. Depends on what you motive is. It is decor, or, insulating for bad weather? If decor is your answer, these windows couldn't be more beautiful surrounded w/14k gold. If you need insulation, I like Maryloosgriffin's idea about being able to open them past the door opening so the doors would open fully w/the drapes behind them.

Either way, have fun experiment. You'll find what works for you. Good luck.
  • BabyBoomerSC
    BabyBoomerSC

If you're looking for privacy, I'd hang a rod with grommet panels. You can easily open/close them or move them all to one side.
  • Nadine
    Nadine

Your doors are beautiful as is and a long curtain rod would take away from the beauty and the wonderful moldings. If you want privacy, consider adding window film. You can find a variety of window films on Amazon and on Ebay. If you really want curtains and are not concerned about privacy, then hang stationary panels on each side of the doors using command hooks or a small flash sash rod.
    • Claude
      Claude

Ditto. Good idea but you can also hang a wire rod from the ceiling (IKEA) and clip rings to a fabric panel to keep your room warmer during winter.
  • Grace Gleason
    Grace Gleason

I certainly WOULD cover them up. I don't know about you, but when it's cold out and the windows are uncovered at night, I FREEZE. A long, thin-but-sturdy rod just under the transom, and drapes on rings that you can pull out of the way during the day so you can see all the way to China if you want to. Make the rod long enough to pull them to one side or the other. All of the glass here gets covered - at night.
  • Eroque022810
    Eroque022810

I wouldn't cover them since they lead into an other room and that room appears large so unless it's absolutely necessary enjoy them. I would love to have something so beautiful in my home. You never stated why you needed them covered? If you don't like them send them to me,HAHAHA ! Is it due to warm up the room because seasonal room allows a draft? I think that would be something you should indicate so that we can offer more opinion.
  • Joanie
    Joanie

I would never cover or put curtains on French doors.....they let in beautiful outdoors and light and are beautiful, just the way they are.
  • Betty Fromal
    Betty Fromal

Oh no please don't cover your French doors, they are beautiful. I agree with another comment, if privacy isn't an issue, leave them open. They are beautiful, I love the windows above the door. Thank you for sharing.
  • Irene Gronewald
    Irene Gronewald

BEAUTIFUL.....as far as privacy..can a person see from sun room through theses doors? i would leave them as is..room dividers that are in line with your decorating theme...opened up at evening ...closed and off to side during day...non invasive...and no commitment...sound like a plan? or a relationship...ha ha
  • Robby Treichel
    Robby Treichel

I love the doors also. However, if you really want curtains, you can get small spring-type rods that attach directly to the doors, both top and bottom. The curtains would have rod pockets at both ends so they are fitted and would not move or be in the way when opening and closing the doors. During the day they can be cinched in the middle so you can still see out and get light in, But it would definitely diminish the view. Sheers or lace though might be nice.
  • Meburke
    Meburke

Traditionally these French door & windows @sides of doors are treated with a small rod @ top & bottom with a white sheer curtain,no heavy drapery. Creates privacy,yet light comes thru..good luck!
  • Sharon Marie Doughty
    Sharon Marie Doughty

Definitely not , this is perfect the way it is , such a beautiful view , only cover french doors if you are wanting privitcy,like a bedroom !
  • Connie
    Connie

They are beautiful as is, clean and uncluttered. Curtains would crowd the fireplace.
  • Mary Boger
    Mary Boger

No!! But if you decided some type of drape was needed maybe use the half rods that swing back toward the wall, popular in the 40s
    I think. Or maybe a decorative rod over the door frame with a
    fabric sleeve bunched on it like on chandelier chains.
    I think they're gorgeous exactly as they are.