Homespun Fabric Christmas Ornament

$10

I’m so excited to show you how to make your own DIY homespun fabric Christmas ornament. We’re going to go over 4 different kinds today. You can make one homespun fabric Christmas ornament or, better yet, make them all!
I am not a seamstress… I don’t even own a sewing machine. So I don’t wander down the aisles of the fabric section very often, but when I do… it’s almost always for homespun fabric. It’s a weave fabric and gets its name because it is similar to the style of fabric that women used to spin at home… hence the name homespun. Homespun fabric is bound to have some small imperfections and nubs woven into the fabric. Each thread is a different color and it’s typically a plaid pattern. I love using homespun fabric for Christmas decorations and ornaments. I even incorporate homespun fabric into my wrapping sometimes (think fabric ribbon and bows)! The rustic colors of the fabric (usually found with hunter and olive green, burgundy, and tan) lend themselves well to primitive Christmas decorations.
First up we have the homespun fabric strip ball Christmas ornament. Supplies for homespun fabric Christmas ornament (fabric strip ball ornament): - Homespun fabric - Foam ball (I use 3” ones) - Glue (I love 3-in-1 Craft Glue. Hot glue would work too!) - Jute twine - Mini metal star *optional (I used 1”) - Stamped paper tag *optional
Step One: Cut fabric into strips For this homespun fabric Christmas ornament, you’ll want to cut your homespun fabric into strips about 1 inch wide and approximately 12 inches long or long enough to wrap around your ball with about 3 inches on each side at the top. I love the Tim Holtz Tonic Scissors for all my crafting needs. I like to use 3 different patterns. For this one I used Small Check Red/Green Blue, Red,Green,Blue Plaid and Micro Check all from Joann’s. You’ll need about 5-6 fabric strips per ornament.
Step Two: Glue on your fabric strips I spread some 3-in-1 glue on the fabric strip and wrap around the foam ball, bunching your fabric ends at the top. You can also use another type of crafting glue or hot glue.
Continue attaching your fabric strips until the entire foam ball is covered.
Step Three: Make jute twine hanger To make the hanger, I make a circle of jute about 6 inches tall. Next I take another piece of jute twine about 14-18 inches long. This will be your bow, so the longer the twine, the larger the bow. You can always cut off extra string. Run this longer piece through the smaller circle and then tie around the fabric bunches at the top of your ornament. You can adjust the smaller circle so the knot in the back of the ornament and hidden. The tie it tightly and finish off with a bow.
Step Four: Glue on rustic metal star (optional) This part is option, but I love the extra rustic charm it adds to the homespun fabric Christmas ornament. These stars can be a little hard to find, but I get mine on Amazon. I like the 1 inch size stars for the ornaments. I’ve tried larger ones and I found the 1 inch size is a little easier to glue on. Use a dab of glue and hold on the center of the jute bow for about 20-30 seconds.
Step Five: Attach a stamped Christmas tag I like the extra touch of Christmas that the stamped tags add. I just use a Christmas stamp with a fun holiday saying on a kraft paper tag and tie on one of the ends of the bow. Lastly, you can tie knots in the end of the jute so it doesn’t unravel!
Hop on over to the blog post to see the detailed tutorials for the other three ornaments!

Chelsea @ Making Manzanita