Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Giant Bouncy Ball Ornaments

$30

Who's ready for Christmas???? I know I am! It's time to pack away the Halloween stuff and start gearing up for the most wonderful time of the year! Though I'm sad to say goodbye soon to my favorite time of year (fall), it isn't such a disappointment because I know I can start making and putting out DIY Christmas decor. Wait 'til you see these jolly giant ornaments! I've seen giant ornaments you can hang on your porch but these have a little twist to them.

giant bouncy ball ornaments, christmas decorations, seasonal holiday decor

SUPPLIES:

• black paint (I used ultra cover premium latex paint I had on hand.)
  • black glitter
  • sponge brush
  • 3 deli style containers
  • metallic gold spray paint
  • metallic silver spray paint
  • 18 gauge wire
  • wire cutters
  • needle nose pliers
  • craft sticks (or popsicle sticks)
  • caulking (I ended up not using what is pictured here...the stuff I used is further down in the tutorial.) Not pictured: -painter's tape -super glue -box cutter (or X-Acto knife) -fishing string And of course don't forget....

...bouncy balls! I snagged three of these for $2.88 a piece at Walmart. The receipt didn't say what size they were but Rob estimated them to be 2'.

STEP 1: Mark off Santa's Belt

The first thing I did for this project was use my painter's tape to mark off Santa's belt. It's always a little confusing using tape on a round surface but I tried to step back a little as I applied the tape to ensure that the width of the belt was going to be somewhat symmetrical.

STEP 2: Paint Santa's Belt and add Glitter

Next, I used a sponge brush to paint in between the tape marks. Try not to go over the first coat too many times or it will just start looking streaky--apply a thick (but not gloppy), even coat let it dry. Then apply a second coat...

...WHILE THE PAINT IS STILL WET (very important!), sprinkle some glitter on the paint, all the way around the belt. This part of the step is obviously optional--I know some people don't want glitter everywhere but I figured since it would be hanging outside, what's the harm? The glitter should give it a little shimmer.

STEP 3: Spray Paint Craft Sticks and Deli Containers

Next, I laid out my craft sticks and sprayed both sides of them with metallic gold spray paint. You may notice some shorter sticks--I had originally thought I'd add a little extra stick to the inside of the belt buckle but ultimately decided to just keep it simple with a square buckle.

While my craft sticks were drying, I sprayed my deli containers with metallic silver spray. I only sprayed the outside.

STEP 4: Assemble Belt Buckles

Next, I used hot glue to assemble my belt buckles... Side note...if anyone has a better idea than hot glue, feel free to advise! I wasn't sure if gorilla glue or wood glue would work better, or if it really mattered. The hot glue seems to be ok thus far.

After my belt buckles were assembled, I used super glue (again, advise if there's something better to use for outdoors when adhering wood to plastic!) to attach them to the bouncy balls.

STEP 5: Make Ornament Topper/Hanger

After I allowed my belt buckles to dry, I took my deli containers and cut a small slit on either side of them with a box cutter...

...then, I fed a piece of wire (I cut my wire pieces about 9-12") through the slits. You'll want to feed in one end of the wire in...

...then, using a pair of needle nose pliers, I rolled the wire back onto itself. Do the same thing for the other side of the deli container.

STEP 6: Attach Ornament Topper/Hangers

To attach my ornament hangers, I applied caulking to the rim of my deli containers, then I stuck them on the top of the bouncy balls. I applied a little pressure, while at the same time running my finger along where the deli container and ball met so as to wipe off the excess. Let dry overnight.

Who would have ever thought this was once a kid's bouncy ball?!

Though the wind was not cooperating with me while I took photos, I'm pretty pleased as punch at how cute these Santa belt ornaments came out! If anyone has any tips on how to keep them facing straight, I'm all ears! :)

• Pat Nichols

Will these balls withstand the below zero cold weather without deflating?

• Richelle

I wonder if you put a few coats of Mod Podge on ball, then a coat or two after finished if it would preserve it for colder weather....just a thought. They make an outdoor project formula.

• Lani

I tried a project similar to this. I used spray paint, but the paint reacted to the plastic ball and never really dried/cured - it remained sticky. I ended up scraping the project.

Will using latex brush-on paint prevent this from happening?

Thanks.

• Mj

Thats what she used🎃 good luck!

• Alison Bulick Gilroy

Are you guys the same couple who won Survivor and went in to be on tge Amazing Race? Had to ask! Driving me bonkers!

• Michele Duncan

That is so cute!

• Debbie H

I did this project last year and one morning I went outside and all my balls were deflated of course I live in Ohio and it was like 10° that morning.