Giant Bouncy Ball Ornaments

$30

Who's ready for Christmas???? I know I am! It's time to pack away the Halloween stuff and start gearing up for the most wonderful time of the year! Though I'm sad to say goodbye soon to my favorite time of year (fall), it isn't such a disappointment because I know I can start making and putting out DIY Christmas decor. Wait 'til you see these jolly giant ornaments! I've seen giant ornaments you can hang on your porch but these have a little twist to them.

SUPPLIES:

• black paint (I used ultra cover premium latex paint I had on hand.)
  • black glitter
  • sponge brush
  • 3 deli style containers
  • metallic gold spray paint
  • metallic silver spray paint
  • 18 gauge wire
  • wire cutters
  • needle nose pliers
  • craft sticks (or popsicle sticks)
  • caulking (I ended up not using what is pictured here...the stuff I used is further down in the tutorial.) Not pictured: -painter's tape -super glue -box cutter (or X-Acto knife) -fishing string And of course don't forget....

...bouncy balls! I snagged three of these for $2.88 a piece at Walmart. The receipt didn't say what size they were but Rob estimated them to be 2'.

STEP 1: Mark off Santa's Belt

The first thing I did for this project was use my painter's tape to mark off Santa's belt. It's always a little confusing using tape on a round surface but I tried to step back a little as I applied the tape to ensure that the width of the belt was going to be somewhat symmetrical.

STEP 2: Paint Santa's Belt and add Glitter

Next, I used a sponge brush to paint in between the tape marks. Try not to go over the first coat too many times or it will just start looking streaky--apply a thick (but not gloppy), even coat let it dry. Then apply a second coat...

...WHILE THE PAINT IS STILL WET (very important!), sprinkle some glitter on the paint, all the way around the belt. This part of the step is obviously optional--I know some people don't want glitter everywhere but I figured since it would be hanging outside, what's the harm? The glitter should give it a little shimmer.

STEP 3: Spray Paint Craft Sticks and Deli Containers

Next, I laid out my craft sticks and sprayed both sides of them with metallic gold spray paint. You may notice some shorter sticks--I had originally thought I'd add a little extra stick to the inside of the belt buckle but ultimately decided to just keep it simple with a square buckle.

While my craft sticks were drying, I sprayed my deli containers with metallic silver spray. I only sprayed the outside.

STEP 4: Assemble Belt Buckles

Next, I used hot glue to assemble my belt buckles... Side note...if anyone has a better idea than hot glue, feel free to advise! I wasn't sure if gorilla glue or wood glue would work better, or if it really mattered. The hot glue seems to be ok thus far.

After my belt buckles were assembled, I used super glue (again, advise if there's something better to use for outdoors when adhering wood to plastic!) to attach them to the bouncy balls.

STEP 5: Make Ornament Topper/Hanger

After I allowed my belt buckles to dry, I took my deli containers and cut a small slit on either side of them with a box cutter...

...then, I fed a piece of wire (I cut my wire pieces about 9-12") through the slits. You'll want to feed in one end of the wire in...

...then, using a pair of needle nose pliers, I rolled the wire back onto itself. Do the same thing for the other side of the deli container.

STEP 6: Attach Ornament Topper/Hangers

To attach my ornament hangers, I applied caulking to the rim of my deli containers, then I stuck them on the top of the bouncy balls. I applied a little pressure, while at the same time running my finger along where the deli container and ball met so as to wipe off the excess. Let dry overnight.

Who would have ever thought this was once a kid's bouncy ball?!

Though the wind was not cooperating with me while I took photos, I'm pretty pleased as punch at how cute these Santa belt ornaments came out! If anyone has any tips on how to keep them facing straight, I'm all ears! :)

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month

• Gary Wagner
    Gary Wagner

Fantastic idea! Suggestion to halt spinning...Could you attach a thin wire to the back of the ornament (clear wide tape) and secure to the siding on your house?

• Sherry
    Sherry

Very cute,really good job.This is a question for Betty, I tried E 6000 glue on a table on porch did not hold,maybe I didn't let it dry long enough before I turned the table right side up?

• Melissa
    Melissa

Wouldn't the paint crack if you deflate the balls?

• Melissa
      Melissa

Thank you. I guess I was thinking inflatable beach balls! Nevermind. :)

• Betty
    Betty

So cute and well done. As to the glue question, I don’t know how hot glue holds up in the cold but I do know that it melts in hot weather (and your project falls apart). I suggest E-6000. It works on just about everything and I can say unequivocally that it holds up , summer and winter, through rain, sun, snow, high winds, strong storms and even a tornado. I know this because I use it for all decor on my mom’s grave.

• Mcgypsy9
    Mcgypsy9

I’ve been wanting to do outside ornaments with balls myself. I don’t see why you couldn’t deflate them with a tire pump like you use on a bike and re inflate them at holiday time.

you can also buy the kind that you blow up by mouth (like the floats are made with) and deflate them afterwards.

‘NICELY DONE BY THE WAY!