DIY Stepping Stone With Secret Key Hider

After getting locked out of my house once, I vowed NEVER AGAIN! So I combined two trendy DIYs- stepping stones and mosaics- and added a secret key hider underneath.
Click HERE for the full tutorial...including my secret trick for a fool proof stepping stone!
diy stepping stone with secret key hider, concrete masonry, crafts, home decor, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
Creating your own decorative stepping stones is as simple as it gets, starting with an old cake pan from your kitchen or the thrift store.
To make it pretty, I created a mosaic design on clear, adhesive plastic, placed it in the bottom of my cake pan, and began to fill the pan with mixed up quik-crete.
Check out my blog for my secret trick for a perfect mosaic design AND a fool-proof stepping stone.
After the mixed concrete was in the pan, I stuck a child-proof pill bottle upside-down in the wet concrete.
I let it sit for 36 hours before easily removing it from the pan. And just like that, I have a secret place for my house key! And it looks awfully pretty in my yard, too.
And before you ask- don't worry! I'm not actually using THIS exact stone for my house/yard, now that I put it online. I made several different stones- some as gifts and one for us. :)
Sadie Seasongoods

• Jean Floerke

What do you do when you have 4 feet of snow on top of it??? I like your idea, but it will not work in Wisconson!

• Kelly

That's when you get real creative with the windchimes

• K.r32279146

I,m sure I need to get "get my brain together" ( uncalled for ). U put the sticky side up to hold the stones and then pull off, right ?

• Jan Thompson

I love this idea. How do you keep it from sticking to the pan?????

• Jch34205710

You can use plastic wrap like Saran or Cling Free or you can oil the pan using a spray oil like is used for cooking. Pan, or others. Just make sure it is covered completely. Actually, using a paper towl and greasing the plan with Crisco works just fine. You want it covered well, but not real runny.