DIY Stepping Stone With Secret Key Hider

3.16M Views
After getting locked out of my house once, I vowed NEVER AGAIN! So I combined two trendy DIYs- stepping stones and mosaics- and added a secret key hider underneath.
Click HERE for the full tutorial...including my secret trick for a fool proof stepping stone!
Difficulty: Easy
  • diy stepping stone with secret key hider, concrete masonry, crafts, home decor, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
Creating your own decorative stepping stones is as simple as it gets, starting with an old cake pan from your kitchen or the thrift store.
To make it pretty, I created a mosaic design on clear, adhesive plastic, placed it in the bottom of my cake pan, and began to fill the pan with mixed up quik-crete.
Check out my blog for my secret trick for a perfect mosaic design AND a fool-proof stepping stone.
After the mixed concrete was in the pan, I stuck a child-proof pill bottle upside-down in the wet concrete.
I let it sit for 36 hours before easily removing it from the pan. And just like that, I have a secret place for my house key! And it looks awfully pretty in my yard, too.
And before you ask- don't worry! I'm not actually using THIS exact stone for my house/yard, now that I put it online. I made several different stones- some as gifts and one for us. :)

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of June 18, 2018 11:21 AM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Sadie Seasongoods