DIY Stepping Stone With Secret Key Hider

After getting locked out of my house once, I vowed NEVER AGAIN! So I combined two trendy DIYs- stepping stones and mosaics- and added a secret key hider underneath.
Click HERE for the full tutorial...including my secret trick for a fool proof stepping stone!
Creating your own decorative stepping stones is as simple as it gets, starting with an old cake pan from your kitchen or the thrift store.
To make it pretty, I created a mosaic design on clear, adhesive plastic, placed it in the bottom of my cake pan, and began to fill the pan with mixed up quik-crete.
Check out my blog for my secret trick for a perfect mosaic design AND a fool-proof stepping stone.
After the mixed concrete was in the pan, I stuck a child-proof pill bottle upside-down in the wet concrete.
I let it sit for 36 hours before easily removing it from the pan. And just like that, I have a secret place for my house key! And it looks awfully pretty in my yard, too.
And before you ask- don't worry! I'm not actually using THIS exact stone for my house/yard, now that I put it online. I made several different stones- some as gifts and one for us. :)
Sadie Seasongoods

• Janice Lloyd

LOVE THIS WILL DO THIS WEEK-END

• Barbara Lyons

What do you do in winter when stone is frozen in the ground?

• Dpbeee2

Nice job! I want to try this soon. Do these homemade stones really hold up without crumbling through rain and freezing weather? I live in Virginia’s Tidewater area. Our winters are not severe, its wet here. Little snow, and we get our share of rain.

• John

Great idea. I coated the key/s with WD40 as here in FL everything rusts within 5 minutes. A rusted key may not open the lockset or, worse, deliver rust into the internal part of the lock. Just remember to wipe the key clean before using it to open the door or lock. Lubricants like WD40 attract & hold dirt. You don't want that inside your lockset.

• Marilyn

I’m doing this, wonderful idea thanks