DIY Stepping Stone With Secret Key Hider

After getting locked out of my house once, I vowed NEVER AGAIN! So I combined two trendy DIYs- stepping stones and mosaics- and added a secret key hider underneath.
Click HERE for the full tutorial...including my secret trick for a fool proof stepping stone!
Creating your own decorative stepping stones is as simple as it gets, starting with an old cake pan from your kitchen or the thrift store.
To make it pretty, I created a mosaic design on clear, adhesive plastic, placed it in the bottom of my cake pan, and began to fill the pan with mixed up quik-crete.
Check out my blog for my secret trick for a perfect mosaic design AND a fool-proof stepping stone.
After the mixed concrete was in the pan, I stuck a child-proof pill bottle upside-down in the wet concrete.
I let it sit for 36 hours before easily removing it from the pan. And just like that, I have a secret place for my house key! And it looks awfully pretty in my yard, too.
And before you ask- don't worry! I'm not actually using THIS exact stone for my house/yard, now that I put it online. I made several different stones- some as gifts and one for us. :)

Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Memorial Day Crafts
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Sadie Seasongoods

• Barbara Lyons

What do you do in winter when stone is frozen in the ground?

• Gemma Lynn Minihan

Just make the hole for the bottle a little wider or wrap it in tin foil so it slides out easily

• Dpbeee2

Nice job! I want to try this soon. Do these homemade stones really hold up without crumbling through rain and freezing weather? I live in Virginia’s Tidewater area. Our winters are not severe, its wet here. Little snow, and we get our share of rain.

• Beverly

Do you coat the whole piece once done with a sealing spray or something ?