How do you tell the value in old china dishes?

+104
I have an 80 year old set of Noritake china dishes that were my Mother's. Since we're downsize I am thinking of selling them but am not sure who to trust. I've looked on Replacements.com but I think I need an antique dealer?
q how do you tell the value in old china dishes , home decor
  • William William on Nov 03, 2016
    I sell a lot of items on Ebay! I do extensive research on everything I sell. I start with a Google search and check out specific sites. Then I check out Google Photos and see if I can find the exact item or similar, click on the photos and go to the sites. Finally I check what other sellers are selling the item or similar on Ebay. I have used Replacements.com, but don't rely on their prices. They are a reseller and will low ball you if you are selling. I had a brown English transferware plate they had offered to purchase at $19, I sold it on Ebay for $87. My experience, Etsy prices are way out there. I also have bookmarked websites that offer free appraisals that neither buy nor sell items making them impartial and more credible. If you will be selling a lot of different items, like an estate sale, then I would suggest an appraiser. You need to realize an appraiser will charge for the appraisal and sometimes the appraisal can be more than the item is worth. If you have any question, just reply to my answer. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    • See 7 previous
    • Mardell Hickson Mardell Hickson on Aug 13, 2019

I have a lot of antique dishes I would like to sell. Including full sets of colonial couples, blue willow from Japan and occupied Japan. Plus a lot of milk glass pieces. 8 am in Helena, MT. Any ßuggestions?

• Anne Fitzpatrick Anne Fitzpatrick on Nov 03, 2016
      Thank you Tracy. I see that Replacements is the first site Noritake reccomends. Since I want to sell the whole set I don't know if they would help but I'll look further into it. I love these dishes and hate to part with them but am moving into a much smaller apartment. Thanks for your quick and helpful reply!
  • Lin8483367 Lin8483367 on Nov 03, 2016
    Sometimes after research you can list on Craigs list & sell quickly & then u don't have to worry about shipping it & breakage for ebay . If not just be sure you pack well & insulate before shipping & be sure to charge extra for shipping that much weight !
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Nov 03, 2016
    Your best bet is Craig's list or a consignment shop. Do not hope for much, no matter how pretty. old china does not sell well anymore, unless extremely rare antique quality. List cost is noted often by replacment costs but no one gets that in resale. Bottom line is someone has to want it who does not have it. And in this economy who wants old china? Our age already inherited enough of it, and mileniums want new. May make for a better value as a wedding gift.
  • William William on Nov 03, 2016
    I don't like Craigslist. I and people I know had bad experiences and seems like a sketchy site for sketchy people. My opinion.
  • Marlo Jacobs Marlo Jacobs on Nov 03, 2016
    Well I didn't have an answer to this question, I was curious about what options are available for China appraisals. My husband is going to be transitioned his into a memory care unit for dementia care and she has numerous sets of china, glassware etc...I told him that a lot of pieces may be quite valuable and should be appraised but properly inventoried and stored and only sold if their value would help cover any of care costs. I agree with thought holding onto them if possible to hand down to another relative who can appreciate their beauty along with the value. We have four children 22-28yrs and they would actually appreciate receiving various items. A great wedding gift for the oldest grandson & his future wife once they are married next year, our other son & both daughter also expressed interest in certain parts of her collection. Thank you hometalkers , your wisdom and advice on this question has certainly helped me. Anne I hope you can find a solution to resolve your dilemma of selling or passing them to other family members. Maybe you can ask a trusted family member to possible store the set for you for a while (1-2yrs possibly) to allow yourself time to get settled in your new space and maybe you'll find room or a another family member might decide to take them. I have my grandmothers set of Noritake China for almost 27yrs and managed to keep the set intact through multiple moves over the years. Sometimes it just stayed boxed up and stored and other times we enjoyed starting our family holiday meal traditions using Grandma's China. Currently it is boxed & stored until we can settle into a new place.
    • See 2 previous
    • Marlo Jacobs Marlo Jacobs on Nov 04, 2016
      Anne it sounds like a great idea to keep some place settings & store the remainder at your nieces. I'm sure in time the entire set will find a new home with a loved one who can fully appreciate such a beautiful set on China!
  • Jeng  Alamares Jeng Alamares on Nov 04, 2016
    i remeber my mom had a set of those. it was her wedding present. those gold lined dishes cant be found any more so i guess for me its precious. how about passing it on to a brother or sister
  • Barbara Barbara on Nov 04, 2016
    I've never sold on ebay but I think there is a way to set a reserve price for your item.
  • Barbara Barbara on Nov 04, 2016
    replacements.com used to buy dishes like you have. They don't do that any longer. That should tell you something about the market for used dishes, no matter the make and pattern unless perhaps 400 years old. I have my mother's set as well - used maybe once a year. People don't live like that anymore I guess.
  • Christine Gasser Christine Gasser on Nov 04, 2016
    I found my china on eBay, I sent a picture to replacements to replacements.com and they told me the name of the pattern. I googled the name and have bought a few additional pieces from replacements. Once you have to name the pattern, you can find out how rare it is with additional research. Mine was pretty rare since the storage building holding the new pattern was bombed and only a few were sold before the war -they never made it again, so I buy what I need when I see it. I bought the whole set on eBay for $250 but to replace each piece, it would cost me over $2,000.
  • Janet Borden Janet Borden on Nov 04, 2016
    I would search ebay for completed sales prices first. If you decide to list on ebay, include in your listing, clear pictures, a list of all pieces included in the set, measurements of each size piece. I am an antique dealer and have seen prices for most antiques plummet in price in recent years. If you do try to sell these, I don't think you will be able to get much for these, even if they are in perfect shape. The reason for this is simply, yound people nowadays just don't want china that you use a few times a year. They want china you can use everyday. And they want dishes you can use in a microwave. Lastly, if you are emotionally attached to these dishes and have a personal history with them, keep them, if not donate them, so that someone else can enjoy them.
    • See 1 previous
      I would not trust that person. Look for auctioneers in your area. Ask them if they can recommend an appraiser. Some auctioneers might even have a time setcup to do appraisals themselves. You can consign items with an auctioneer. When it sells you get some of the money and the auctioneer gets their cut. That could be anywhere between 20 to 50% of the sale price. Appraisers will charge you for their services too. Good luck.
  • Deb Deb on Nov 04, 2016
    If dishes have a date and company name embossed on the back or bottom of them, this will help. Collectors look for dated items.
    • See 1 previous
    • Anne Fitzpatrick Anne Fitzpatrick on Nov 04, 2016
      There's a code number along with Noritake Lanare imprinted on the bottom. I've never notice dates on any dishes either.
  • P.a7260485 P.a7260485 on Nov 04, 2016
    Good morning. Why would u want to sell your mother china? I have Blue Willow with 14k gold around the plates and use them for hoildays. I won't sell them. Just google it..
    • See 1 previous
    • StefanieB StefanieB on Nov 04, 2016
      It's really nobody's business why you want to sell your own property. :) Ignore the naysayers.
  • Porland1624 Porland1624 on Nov 04, 2016
    By the seal in the back of the plate put this in your computer and do reserch
  • P.m7945585 P.m7945585 on Nov 04, 2016
    I googled the pattern number or information on the back of the plate on google images. It took a bit to find it but I did. The site it came from was an antique dealer in Canada. She was very helpful giving me all kinds of information on the dishes as well as the history of the set
  • Terri Farina Terri Farina on Nov 04, 2016
    Contact Room to Spare on Transit Road (near Millersport Highway), Amherst, NY. They also sell stuff for you on ebay and amazon. The plates and bowls are not worth much since the market is flooded with china because of the same reason you are looking to get rid of. The parts that have any money value are the serving parts (gravy boat, butter dish, platter)These are the parts that people want to complete the sets they have. Or better yet scrap your walmart dishes and use the china for your every day dishes. At least you get to look at realy nice plates on a daily basis.
  • LFM LFM on Nov 04, 2016
    Replacements LTD online sells china and crystal. You should be able to get a sense of the value of your set there.
  • Karen McKnight McDonald Karen McKnight McDonald on Nov 04, 2016
    I don't know if you would be interested in this, but if you're going to end up donating them or getting very little from them, you might like this. My aunt (late 70's with limited space) kept one or two plates and/or bowls from each set to keep. When we eat at her house, she might use one for a dessert plate or have fruit on one. She has a small bowl in her bathroom to hold her watch and rings at night. That way she has the memories but not the whole set. Maybe your kids would even like a couple of pieces to use like that? I would love to have a couple of my mom's china but definitely not the whole set.
  • Sue Braun Sue Braun on Nov 04, 2016
    Replacements Ltd in NC has almost every pattern of china there is. Look them up online and see what each piece is worth and then add it up.
    • See 2 previous
    • Sue Braun Sue Braun on Nov 04, 2016
      StefanieB-I do agree that they are expensive. My bone china that is 5 generations old could not be found anywhere else and I did have to replace a few pieces. Ebay also has some old patterns, but they do tend to bring the price down.
  • Kim Salmi Kim Salmi on Nov 04, 2016
    The only tip I can relay is to look whether or not they say made in NIPPON or Japan on them ...Nippon is the really old term for Japanese made dishware( and many other items ) ..used long before they started actually labeling items Japan ...Nippon would be of more interest to collectors since its rarer to find ...they are very beautiful ...I hope they find a good home ...or as one person suggested ..just use them as your every day dishes and enjoy them yourself ..: )
  • Stephanie corley Stephanie corley on Nov 04, 2016
    I always check Ebay to determine a range of prices. They are lovely! I would sell them at an antique shop on consignment before sending them to a second hand or thrift shop. If the shop will put it in an area that will display well and customer are expecting to pay a little more.
  • Sue Kiene Sue Kiene on Nov 04, 2016
    I like what the person who said use it as your every day dishes said. That and using it in place of other things like a coin dish, something in the bathroom. Sadly fine china etc is not considered a big thing today. I have my mothers and I am really glad that my dad gave it to me.
  • Pamela Wilson Pamela Wilson on Nov 04, 2016
    I have a 96 piece Noritake Wheat pattern trimmed in gold made in Japan appromiate 54 or 55 The offer I received was minute
  • Cheri johnson Cheri johnson on Nov 04, 2016
    Go to Replacements Unlimited. You'll at least find replacement value.
    • StefanieB StefanieB on Nov 04, 2016
      Replacement value of one of my mother's dinner plates is $35. Replacements Ltd offered me $3 per plate, then I'd have to pay to ship it to them. Nope.
  • Lyn Buerger Lyn Buerger on Nov 04, 2016
    Pretend you are trying to buy this same set. If you can find them you will get a good idea at the retail value of your item. Know that when you sell you can expect less than 1/2 of that amount. Then you will know if you want to let them go or keep. EBay is a good place to so some pricing. I often check eBay when I am thinking about bidding on an item I want to buy for resale. Just because I think it is beautiful does not mean it has any resale value.
  • Lol12681170 Lol12681170 on Nov 04, 2016
    What about Haviland over 100yrs old? I have around 10 place settings plus all the serving pieces! White with gold trim. And what about sterling silver silverware?