DIY Geometric Decor Shapes

Would you believe me if I told you that I made these geometric decor shapes from drinking straws? You don’t have to believe me because I am going to show you!! :)
This is a fun and relativity easy project, so you can make your own, too!
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
This was such a fun little project and now I am left with some stunning decor. I saw these succulent holders on Pinterest the other day and I wanted to make something similar.
image source: Lia Griffith
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
The only problem I was facing was the copper piping. It can be a little on the pricey side, so I racked my brain to think of an alternative, and that is when I remembered that I had an over whelming amount of drinking straws. You see, this summer, I made a whole bunch of these pencil holders for teacher’s gifts.
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
They are actually drinking straw holders, but I replaced the straws with pencils. Super cute, right?
I hung onto the drinking straws because I knew that I would be able to DIY them into something and today was the day I put them to good use!
I have also been looking for a project to use this new paint that I got — Americana Decor Metallics in Copper by DecoArt. This paint is great to transform ordinary stuff into a beautiful copper and unless you actually touch the drinking straws you would never know that they are not copper piping. This paint is bang on!
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
To do this project, I used my drinking straws and some crafting wire.
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
I whipped out my paint brush and started painting as many straws as I could.
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
I had to do two coats of the paint on the straws. Once the paint was dried, I cut off the ends of the straw that weren’t painted. I didn’t paint all the way down to the end just so I could have something to hang onto while I was painting.
Then it was time to start building some shapes. This process was a little bit of trial and error.
I started by sliding the wire through the a single straw.
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
Then, I bent the wire up. I felt that I didn’t have enough wire on the left side so I twisted on another piece of wire.
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
It would be a lot easier if I had wire that was on a spool, but I make what I have work.
I slide two more straws on the wire and then formed them into a triangle
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
I kept adding more wire and more straw and then started connecting them.
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
There really is no rhyme or reason to how I did this. I just started connecting them.
The wire started getting a little flimsy, so I secured the areas where the three straws meet up with a bit of hot glue.
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
You have to be really careful when you are doing this cause the glue is hot and can melt the plastic and the wire. What I did, was I added a dab of the hot glue and immediately blew on it to cool it down. This seemed to work quite well.
I made two different shapes — a large one and a smaller one.
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
I set them up on my bookcase. I thought that they looked pretty good here, but I wanted to play around with them a little bit more.
I put the smaller one inside of the larger one and added a candle.
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
What do you think? Which way do you like better? Let me know!
Either way, I love my new “copper pipe” geometric shapes!
diy geometric decor shapes, home decor
Share this project if you love it! Or pin it for later!!
See the full tutorial over on my blog!

Holly Grace

• Jo Ann Casey

Will the paint adhere to the glue?

• Kelly Roxanne Logsdon

Can you imagine how cool your idea could be using black flat paint, and gold or silver glitter hot glue on the corners? You have started a new art.

• M. K. M.

Kelly, like a small version of Tinker Toys? You’ll have to google that-they’re an old toy😊

• Kelly Roxanne Logsdon