Mary Insana
Mary Insana
  • Pittsburgh, PA

My latest trash to treasure .....to be

Last night was trash night and as usual I have my eyes wide open. My neighbor has this wonderful old crate out. I decided it was time to take the dog for a walk and pick that baby up. Here are some pictures. The wooden dividers come so I washed them with a light soap and vinegar. I took the box itself and put it in the sink and washed it inside and out with the same solution. The are all sitting out on the deck to dry. I am thinking of sanding splinters off,diluting white paint with water and do a very light wipe here and there on the outside then sand with fine sandpaper and do a French transfer.
The old wood is really vintage and primitive which I like.

My idea is to use it with the dividers in on my dining room table with battery operated pillar candles and glasses with fresh flowers or silk flowers.
I'll post pictures when I figure this while transfer thing out
my fabulous find, repurposing upcycling
my fabulous find, repurposing upcycling
I would like to add some kind of handle since it look like there were handled. I was thinking a strip if leather tacked in with decorative nail heads or just plain nails to keep with the vintage primitive look.

• Mary Insana

@Terri Austill hehehe I found him first . I did wash it inside and out and left it outside in what little sun we get in October here in Pittsburgh. I'm leaving on vacation to an undisclosed tropical location Monday. I will probably start working on him (it's definitely a scruffy, yet handsome bad boy!) when I return November 3. Unless the house is a complete bomb when I return, leaving a husband and a teenage girl.....you never know what I'll return to.

• Terri Austill

You found a real keeper there! Enjoy!