Peel & Stick Kitchen Tile Install

Steph’s kitchen has been in need of a backsplash since she moved into her house three years ago. During the refresh of her newly purchased house, we chose a stone tile but soon returned our sample as our energy and enthusiasm for tacking a tile project waned. It just seemed too daunting to deal with adhesive, grout, and cutting tile with a wet saw.
As a participant at the blogging conference, Haven, we were sent a sample box of Aspect Peel & Stick Tile along with 20 square feet of tile free. At the conference we were able to handle and try the tile in a session. It's one thing to try a product in a sample situation, but quite another in a real life scenario.
The beauty of Aspect’s Peel & Stick tile (with the exception of the glass version) is that it can be cut with simple tools. No complicated wet saws to deal with! The stone tile, which we chose, is exceptionally user friendly. Cuts can be made with tin snips or chisel and hammer.
Watch Video
First we did a dry run of the tile placement.
Preparing the wall: We used a heat gun to soften the old caulk.
Then we used a caulk removal tool to have a smooth, flat base for the tile.
We cleaned the wall and countertop edge with mineral spirits. Next we needed to prime the wall so we used Frog tape to protect the edges and vertical stopping points. We used Kilz Primer as the tile instructions suggested. Once dried, we removed the Frog tape.
Once the surface was prepped and dried, we moved on to fitting our tile. To cut around the outlets, we used the plate as a guide, marking just within the plate to be sure the plate completely covered the tile.
The vertical cuts were easy to make with tin snips.
Horizontal cuts were made with a rubber mallet and chisel.
The backing was very easy to remove.
We did a light fit to make sure the placement was right and then pushed firm to get a strong hold.
To finish the edges, we used a scrap piece of molding and cut it to size on the miter saw. We primed, painted and put it into place using finishing nails.
Before (when Steph first moved into her house)
After! For more details please visit our website in the link below.

23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Mother Daughter Projects

• Eliza

Thinking about to have s since will not have to paint entire kitchen. I could use something very art deco ... But where do I find that ???

• Debbie Ella

Click the "See More" button next to the item in the materials list above.

• Linda Schwartz Myers

Can this idea be used to cover old, outdated formica back splash?

• Sherry Miller

I do not like the tile in my kitchen, would this work if I applied it over the existing tile ?

• Angel

If you want ceramics tile I took cheap paneling and turned it over cut to fit back splash area because ( don’t want to glue tiles to drywall and backer board is expensive and most don’t know how to hang it )then I glued the tiles on and grouted Thank you great project

• Gail Dyslin

I am inspired! I moved into my home 13 years ago and have always detested my orange kitchen. The remodelers did a terrible job with the floor (no sub floor on old original 100 y/o wood floor) so I got new linoleum for it, cannot afford new counter tops or black splash at t his point. wow I cannot wait to try this!!