Best way to kill bush/tree after being cut down?

+148
Just moved into a new home. There was a huge thorny bush dragon devouring the mailbox. I slayed the dragon but it is trying to rise up again. How can I make sure it's not simple dead but "really most sincerely dead" [Wizard of Oz quote]? I've cut the stump closer to the ground but there are sprouts come out. grrr
q best way to kill bush tree after being cut down , gardening, landscape
  • Clory Clory on Nov 04, 2016
    I've got a similar problem with a stump. I've researched it and am going to try Epsom Salt.
  • Rosie Walsh Rosie Walsh on Nov 04, 2016
    I've done this in several steps. As soon as the cut has been done, paint a coat of Roundup, a fairly strong solution, heavier than the standard 3 oz/gal. Soon after, I drill a bunch of holes in the stump and pour dirt into the holes and cover the stump. When little shoots come up near the base, I again apply Roundup to each shoot, freshly pruned. I have a bottle of the mix and apply with one drop directly on the fresh cut. This has proven highly effective. Repeat as needed. I took out several overgrown loropetalums and had regrowth from the roots that remained. This really works and is safe. I know Roundup has a bad rep to some, but this is a tiny amount.
  • If you do not wish to use the Roundup method, use vinegar - lots of it. If there is any stump left, drill holes in it. Pour straight vinegar in there. It will take a bit of time, but it will work. Now as with rhe roundup, it will be sometime before you can replant in that area. So I would decorate with rocks, potted plants, and google "mailbox decoration" and you will get a zillion this to do. Hope this gives you another option! Good luck!
  • Katy Bowss Katy Bowss on Nov 04, 2016
    I have done something similar to Rosie. I drill holes in the stump, then fill with salt. Sea salt, table salt, something along those lines. The salt helps to dry up any moisture. You may have to repeat a few times, but it doe work. Learned this from my dad when I was young. Worked then and still works now. Good luck.
  • Berniece Cronquist Berniece Cronquist on Nov 04, 2016
    I cut a tree down and then drilled holes down into the top of the stump. I poured Round up into the holes. Yup, it died. Then I used the top of the stump for flowers.
  • Gina Gina on Nov 04, 2016
    Stump grinder! rent at home depo 50$ go deep,removing entire rootball.add concentrate round-up rootkiller.(stumpgrinding should do),can use rootkiller for100% death of bush.
  • Ruth Ruth on Nov 04, 2016
    Cut the stump as close to the ground as possible. Then take a tin can large enough to completely cover the stump, and nail it on with large-headed nails (so no sunlight gets to the stump surface). May take a corn can, may take a large coffee can. It should stop any shoots, without poison or expensive machinery rental.
  • Lynn Paterson Lynn Paterson on Nov 04, 2016
    But what when there are a whole grove of small trees , like 1" to 5" ? The big original tree was removed, these are all suckers. Cottonwoods to be exact, they grow like crazy and are blocking the view of the lake :-(
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 04, 2016
    If all possible do not use roundup...all studies are showing serious effects...
  • Taf Taf on Nov 04, 2016
    Have you considered leaving the tree and moving the mailbox? just a thought...
  • Raul DeMoura Raul DeMoura on Nov 04, 2016
    If you can't get a "stump grinder" to remove the stumps, & if you have a chainsaw, you can cut a few grooves across the stump. If it's a bigger stump, cut a "tic tac toe" in it. That worked for the FOSTER HOLLY I removed by my kitchen door!
  • James Ingersoll James Ingersoll on Nov 04, 2016
    STEP 1. Take a 5' solid steel crowbar with the point on one end and make several (5-6) holes in the ground next to the tree stump. STEP 2. drop a stick of dynamite in each hole with the fuse sticking out of the hole. STEP 3. Twist all the fuses together sot it's about 2-3 feet long. STEP 4. Put some dirt in on top of the dynamite so they're in there real tight. STEP 5. Tell all yer neighbors to go have some lunch. (safety first) STEP 6. Light the fuse and then run like hell. When yer either 100 yards away or jest outta breath, fall on the ground and don't move tis the blast goes off. STEP 7. After the blast, go back and fill in the huge hole with some dirt or rocks, or sumpthing ya don't want. CAUTION: if the blast don't go off, stay away and call the fire department to come and flood the stump site with water for 2-3 days. After that, yer on yer own. Thanks partner. Good Luck.
  • Dana Dana on Nov 05, 2016
    Funny James Ingersoll. Not everyone has a stick of explosives, plus kids could get hurt while he I see running for his life, a car or bike could come by. I agree with cutting crisscrossing patterns in the stump, Or dig out the roots and chop them off at the bottom of the hole. Still James's idea was funny, I pictured road runner and the atmos logo
    • Dana Dana on Nov 09, 2016
      May be a joke, but you must remember not everyone would take it as one, some may even think your serious. Please think before you post.
  • Daniel Daniel on Nov 05, 2016
    Drill some holes in the remaining trunk and fill them with diesel. Doing this you are going to kill the roots,
  • JustMe JustMe on Nov 05, 2016
    You can try one of the chemical stump killers sold at HD, garden centers or farm and ranch stores.
  • Fee Miriam Rosenfeltz Fee Miriam Rosenfeltz on Nov 05, 2016
    I have an organic, non chemical method I use that works well for my garden. First cut the remaining stump off lower to the ground, leaving only about 4 inch high stump. Cover this with thick black plastic bags (I use the postage bags I receive goods in) and put a heavy upturned flower pot over it to wedge it all in place. So long as you have shut out all light it will die off over a couple of years. This method uses no nasty chemicals that can leach into the soil. I've used this on several different trees. If you don't like the look of it then a few pits of flowers grouped around it will disguise it. Hope this helps.
    That should read 'pots of flowers' not 'pits'! Oops!
  • Lori Verni-Fogarsi Lori Verni-Fogarsi on Nov 05, 2016
    I had some trees cut but not the stumps ground and our tree guy said to pour a mound of rock salt on it (like you use for snow/ice).
  • Suzi Suzi on Nov 05, 2016
    Drill a couple of holes in the stump or simply drive a thick nail into it. Pull nail out. Pour rock salt on the stump. The stump will start to crumble. You can put more salt as weather will wash away. Eventually you can literally push the dead stump away with your hands and throw away.
    • Wee13104616 Wee13104616 on Nov 05, 2016
      I would say the same thing . I did it with holly and it worked . . I pour salt on the weeds my drive . Cheap and does the job If it doesn't rain make sure to wet the salt
  • Sti2242965 Sti2242965 on Nov 05, 2016
    I cut a largish tree down low at a relatives, I let it grow again but have shaped it into a small bush and just keep trimming it the same shape, I suppose if you wanted to do that it may take a while to fill out below the level of the mailbox
    • Jackie Byrd Jackie Byrd on Nov 05, 2016
      That might have been a good idea if this bush/tree wasn't a dragon. It was full of thorns! I had to snip at a branch multiple times to clear one out of the way. Then repeat over and over to clear an area large enough so that I could get near the trunk. Finally I was able to take my hand saw and slay that dragon. I never want it or any of its family near my property again. AUGH
  • MadameRã MadameRã on Nov 05, 2016
    How about trying a paste with aromatherapy.. Mandarin,Orange,lime & clove(depending on size of the base cut, use4-6 drops of each, mix into a small bowl of baking soda & just enough distilled water to create a paste).. Once that is organized then spread thickly over the top, also spread it around any area of the plant thats left(like icing a cake),& a bit just around the base onto the ground, though make sure it doesn't touch other plants you like. *This ought to only be absorbed mainly by the offencive plant & won't hurt the soil by spreading @ all, just the area thats wanted. This method ought to be tried every few weeks for a few months & it will rot the root system. At the time you notice this then it becomes easier to get enough of it removed by axe & shovel; sometimes parts turns to jelly thus becoming very easy to remove... watching it fall to pieces(& chopped out in bits)then its just is a matter of time:)
    • See 3 previous
    • MadameRã MadameRã on Oct 08, 2019

^ The question I answered is all true; we kept an eye on doing the entire procedure and there was never a complaint, only a happy being~ that’s what matters though Mother Earth to myself is first, thus is why to have anything done well one must remember that there remains a length of work ~ which I call this simply being of quality.

After stating this, one thing that No-one knows is how matters” will work in their living environment. The entire globe with plants/animals/and the weather are being affected daily at a statistical rate that’s hard to keep up with, even for the best.

I do hold hope that you can figure out what you would like to try; as trying always is the only way of knowing and improving on ‘anything ‘ just about.

kind regards

• Mike Schreiber Mike Schreiber on Nov 05, 2016
    Pack the stump with rock salt
  • Hei12625205 Hei12625205 on Nov 05, 2016
    copper nails
  • Elaine Kater Elaine Kater on Nov 05, 2016
    muriatic acid
  • Dee Brock Dee Brock on Nov 05, 2016
    spray the cut with grass killer. the stump soaks up the killer. i killed a 5' diameter stump this way. just keep spraying it. you can also spray the raw cut with spray paint.
  • RBJ RBJ on Nov 05, 2016
    Sugar water
  • Pba9347059 Pba9347059 on Nov 05, 2016
    copper sulfate
  • Sve4509253 Sve4509253 on Nov 05, 2016
    Drill a hole and fill it with Roundup
  • Farmer Susie Farmer Susie on Nov 05, 2016
    Drill several holes and fill with any kind of root killer
  • Daniel Daniel on Nov 05, 2016
    Ordinary Truck Diesel. It is a poison.. careful with the other plants
  • Jw Johnson Jw Johnson on Nov 05, 2016
    Diesel fuel daily till you see it dying.