Making a Pallet Barn

Pallets are very versatile when it comes to building. We built a 10' x 10' barn for our goats using pallets for framing and local rough sawn lumber for the siding.
This is our 10'x10' goats barn. We framed it almost entirely out of recycled wooden pallets.
The corner posts are treated 4x4s. They are anchored to the ground and help to support the 2nd story of pallets.
The 2 stories of pallets are secured using the corner posts and recycled wood from around our homestead.
The roof and siding wood is from a local saw mill.

Sarah Toney

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

I'm thinking my husband's getting a new man cave and he don't even know he's collecting pallets for his new room that he's gonna be building... well truth be told, it's really where I'm gonna move him into so I can sleep without the interruption of the earthquakes and tremors that he calls snoring but I haven't slept like in 8 years so what's another week while we prepare his new "habitat for my sanity" !! Thanks for the crazy genius idea!! Who would have thought I could do this all by meself or better yet, have him build his own "snore-shack" I'll even through in the camper toilet, a mini fridge and the dog! Cool job guys!

• Lifestyles Homes

I appreciate your sense of humor. But if you’re serious about making an occupiable space for humans, pallet wood has a myriad of challenges.

There’s many reasons why there’s Building Codes, all of which are to protect one’s safety and to endure quality construction Methodologies.

Buildings for humans must comply with the Codes, even in the Counties, and pallet-Construction doesn’t come close, sorry.

Citations & mandatory demolition of non-permitted construction are within the legal boundaries of one’s local jurisdictional agencies.

If you’d like to build “a legal Accessory Structure”, then I can point you to some resources.

• MaryJoy

Great information about building codes. I want to build my own shed, I will have to look into whether I could use pallets or not. Thanks