One More Roadside Rescue

As most of you know, roadside rescues are my favourite projects. Driving down the road one day, I spotted this dresser being discarded. Hubby was golfing so if I wanted it I had to act on my own. A lovely neighbourhood lady stopped to help me get it into the back of my car, thank goodness or I may not have been successful.
Brought it home to the garage and noticed some of the damage and started planning how to fix it, wood filler was not likely an option :)
My daughter wanted a dresser with the bottom portion repurposed for her cat's bed, so it began.
It was a fun and easy project. I didn't take a pic of the fence boards that were used for the floor of this cat den - will try to do that soon.
Almost forgot to do before pics. This is what I started with.
As you can see there was significant damage to the veneer at the bottom - went about 3 inches up the sides.
Top of the dresser was in good shape and was ok to sand down and apply a stain.
View of the top during the sanding process.
Finished product. Pic turned out dark - cloudy day, will try to get to daughter's to take a better pic.
Better pic of the finish. I used minwax red sedona stain with several coats of polyurethane.
Side view of the molding added to cover the damaged area. Chose a molding that blended with the curves on the front.
Another pic of the molding.
Another pic of the molding.

• Pat24257352

Can you please send me some more pictures of the finished product? I absolutely LOVE it!!!
  • Pat24257352

I forgot to send you my email address to send the pictures to. It's patricks7inc@aol.com
  • Pat24257352

Also is that a black stain you used or black paint? If so what brand?
  • Trina Davis Strong

How did you fill the missing veneer? I would fill with wood filler after sanding but wondered if that's what you did?

• Gail Salminen

That is actually what I did, since I used a solid paint on that part it didn't show in the finish.

• Carey

I am just amazed that the things you guys find on the roadside!!! Everything that I have found on the roadside was so Shattered that it was completely unrepairable! Still watching though!
    • Gail Salminen

It helps to troll on a garbage day for the area, sometimes they put the good stuff out the day before. Try other areas on their garbage day.

• Michelle

Still waiting to see finished dresser!!