Decorating a Cheap Garland for Christmas

$10
1 Day

Turn a cheap looking garland into a not so cheap looking garland with chalk powder, paint, and pinecones. The best time to buy Christmas decorations over here in Japan is right after Christmas and I found a bunch of lengths of garland for about a buck a piece. Yes!

DIY Garland Upcycle

Garland

Tools and Materials

• Garland
  • White paint
  • Pine cones
  • Hot glue
  • White chalk
  • Christmas lights
  • Faux snow (I have provided a recipe if you can't find this in your area)

Wrap the Lights Around the Garland

Wrap the Lights Around the Garland

I wrapped on the lights first and then spot painted the garland.

Add Snow to Your Decorations

Add Snow

I couldn't find reasonably priced snow sprays, paints, or powders anywhere in Japan, so I experimented with making my own. For my first batch of snow, I took 12 paper towels, made them damp, squeezed as much water as possible out of them and then threw them in the blender. (I have a blender only used for crafts) When they dried out in a bowl, I mixed in some white paint and rolled some pinecones in the mix. For my second batch of snow, I blended white chalk in my blender and mixed the chalk powder in with white paint. I used this mix on the garland. Painting the garland was messier than I anticipated. The garland was a springboard for the chalk powder paint. I had to paint gently, because the garland flung the paint in the air.

Add Decor

Add Decor

I hot glued on the pinecones and then painted the garland again.

DIY Christmas Garland

I really like how it turned out. I like the painted look of the garland and how the texture on the pinecones is different. I added ornaments, but ended up taking them off. I like the simple look of this. When packing and unpacking, little flakes come off, but they're really easy to clean up.

DIY Christmas Light Decor
DIY Christmas Decor
Decorated Christmas Garland

I used fairy lights and not as much paint on this mega long garland. I add the lights to the garland when its in place and take the lights off when its time to pack it away.

Christmas Garland Decor
Christmas Garland and Ribbon
DIY Christmas Lights Garland Decor

Isn't it beautiful? Let me know in the comments below how you spruce up dollar store decor!

How to Store Supplies

How to Store Supplies

I use "shrink mini wrap" to pack my garland...and everything else. Its a stretchy plastic film on a handheld dispenser that you can wrap around anything. This stuff helps me save so much space!

EDIT:

The plastic shrink wrap film I use is made from low-density polyethylene (LDPE) and it is easily recycled. I recycle everything!

Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/