Cathy B
Cathy B
  • Gainesville, GA

Interior Stairs Makeover

After seeing so many stair makeovers, I finally took the plunge and pulled the 20+ year old carpet off of mine. I painted the stairs, added some additional trim along the sides and beadboard wallpaper on the risers. I love the way they turned out!
Finished steps.
Finished steps.
Old dirty carpet.
Old dirty carpet.
Sanded and filled staple and nail holes.
Prime, caulk and new trim.
Prime, caulk and new trim.
Four coats of porch and floor paint, three coats of polyurethane on stair treads.  Adding beadboard wallpaper on risers. Then painted risers and trim.  Added an additional piece of trim between riser and tread.
Four coats of porch and floor paint, three coats of polyurethane on stair treads. Adding beadboard wallpaper on risers. Then painted risers and trim. Added an additional piece of trim between riser and tread.
Done!  Not an extremely difficult project, but it was time consuming.  Still, so worth it.
Done! Not an extremely difficult project, but it was time consuming. Still, so worth it.

• Cul10895001

What colour did you use on the stair threads
  • Kilgara10

After taking off carpet were you face with ply wood, or did you have a nicer wood to work with such as an old oak? Trying to see your pictures but unsure. I am pretty sure I will find ply wood as I live in a condo that has been covered with a few colors of carpet.

• Kilgara10

Did you find ply wood under the carpet? or do you have a nicer wood to work with?

• Lady Dropsalot

Those old carpeted stairs look exactly like mine. I really, REALLY want to do mine! Thank you for sharing...

• Pam Robinson

I may have to try this, I didn't know you could buy beadboard wallpaper. Lovely job you did!!