Marcela Pena
Marcela Pena
  • Argentina

An Unusual Table

I bought this table at an auction. It didn´t look very inviting, but the fact that it had three levels sounded interesting. Then, when I had it home, I found it surprising!
an unusual table, painted furniture
As usual, I sanded the whole piece to bare wood because I didn´t want to cover it with paint this time. However, I wanted to add some design to it to make it interesting.
an unusual table, painted furniture
An old post in Hometalk made me familiar with the use of wood stain to "paint" on wood, and that is what I wanted to do. I drew some flowers on one of the levels
an unusual table, painted furniture
and started staining where shadows would be.
an unusual table, painted furniture
I found a problem here, because the wood was too dark and I couldn´t give the idea of lights in my painting. I used a colour wax then, white wax, and used it as paint for the lights.
an unusual table, painted furniture
I drew different number of flowers on each level, and used a few touches of green and turquoise in the stems.
an unusual table, painted furniture
Completed with the same colours for the central bar, foot, or whatever you call it in English! Help!
an unusual table, painted furniture
And here is my table ready! As I said, I found it surprising in some way when I had it home. First, because two of its levels are rotating, so it is excellent to serve!
an unusual table, painted furniture
And then, because all llevels can be folded, which makes it very practical when not in use.
an unusual table, painted furniture
Marcela Pena

• Joann

Did you check first to see if this had value with original stain? Some of these tables are worth a fortune-especially the ones that fold-and if you paint them they're worth next to nothing. Refinishing original stain is sometimes acceptable but most times all you need do is clean up original finish to retain value

• Susanroy36

THIS is a gorgeous table. Very brave and ingenious design. I love it, and I would buy it from you!! ( - :

• Tlfrazier97

I love this transformation. Can you tell me what color of green did you use on the remainder of the table and did you then use a dark wax?

• Marcela Pena

I didn´t use dark wax. I used a white one for the lights in the flowers. On the remainder of the table I used a combination of waxes: light green, turquoise and lima. But I am in Argentina, here I can buy these colored waxes called wax patina. I don{t know if you have this product in USA

• Deborah Lana Benson Cox

I have same table but mine has a scroll edging around each shelf . It's called a Butlers table. They use to use them to serve desserts and such for afternoon tea time..mine doesnt fold though..That's cool.Love what you did with it..

• Marcela Pena

Really? That is great! I hadn´t seem any other before! You are lucky!

• Susie

This is one of the most beautiful pieces of furniture I've ever seen! Kudos to you!