Learn to Do a German Smear

$250

Always wanted a brick wall in your home ? If you're like me and have always wanted one, but are not so keen on the price for real brick veneer, take a look at how plain, faux brick panels become aged and antiqued to create a focal point for any room. Learn to do a German Smear at Recaptured Charm.
The German Smear Technique The German Smear Technique aged this faux brick panel to just the right antique look for my bedroom.
See how easy it is to take these faux brick panels, hide the seams and create something spectacular for any room. These panels are a great starting point, but the seams drive me crazy.
Even though you can't see the seams in this picture, they really stand out in person. The panels are affordable and a great start to getting the look I want. With the dark furniture I wanted to lighten them up, but not get a painted look.
With Drywall Compound you can create a look that is sought after in many homes, apartments and lofts. Smear on the compound and take some off with a putty knife or scraper. Apply the compound lightly on some areas, and a tad heavier in other areas. Scraping some right down to the brick gives it that authentic brick look.
In the end you'll have a rustic and antiqued wall. This is all part of a bedroom makeover that will be revealed soon on Recaptured Charm
Bedroom makeover complete. To see more pictures of the completed wall and bedroom update, see here http://www.recapturedcharm.com/2016/11/master-bedroom-makeover.html

• Faux Brick Panels
  • Drywall Compound
Recaptured Charm

• Mcgypsy9

So how do the seems look with the mud over them?

• Denise

Did you put a sealer on top of the drywall compound?

• Kim Arnold

After whitewashing brick fireplace we have some drip marks how can I cover them or correct them

• Recaptured Charm

Not sure what you used to whitewash, but you should be able to carefully sand off the drip marks and then touch up with paint

• Carrie

So just to clarify, i can use drywall compound on an interior brick fireplace? Do i need to seal it? Or put a top coat on it?

• Robin Wilson

What can I use on the exterior to get the same look?

• Recaptured Charm

What you need to look for is a mortar smear. Your local Home Depot or Lowes can give you information on the mortar you will need for outdoors.