Learn to Do a German Smear

$250

Always wanted a brick wall in your home ? If you're like me and have always wanted one, but are not so keen on the price for real brick veneer, take a look at how plain, faux brick panels become aged and antiqued to create a focal point for any room. Learn to do a German Smear at Recaptured Charm.
The German Smear Technique The German Smear Technique aged this faux brick panel to just the right antique look for my bedroom.
See how easy it is to take these faux brick panels, hide the seams and create something spectacular for any room. These panels are a great starting point, but the seams drive me crazy.
Even though you can't see the seams in this picture, they really stand out in person. The panels are affordable and a great start to getting the look I want. With the dark furniture I wanted to lighten them up, but not get a painted look.
With Drywall Compound you can create a look that is sought after in many homes, apartments and lofts. Smear on the compound and take some off with a putty knife or scraper. Apply the compound lightly on some areas, and a tad heavier in other areas. Scraping some right down to the brick gives it that authentic brick look.
In the end you'll have a rustic and antiqued wall. This is all part of a bedroom makeover that will be revealed soon on Recaptured Charm
Bedroom makeover complete. To see more pictures of the completed wall and bedroom update, see here http://www.recapturedcharm.com/2016/11/master-bedroom-makeover.html

• Faux Brick Panels
  • Drywall Compound

Recaptured Charm

• Vicki Adams

Will this work well on my travertine backsplash?

• Recaptured Charm

No it wouldn't. If you wanted to do a German Smear with another material, then it might, but definitely do not use drywall compound. This material once dried, cannot be washed.

• Kim

Can German Schmeer be done on exterior brick? And what products would I need?

• Recaptured Charm

The technique can be done on exterior brick, but certainly not with drywall compound used in this post. You would need to do a GERMAN MORTAR SMEAR. If you visit your local Home Depot, or Lowes, tell them what you want to do and they will give you the proper mortar to do this. Also I would google German Mortar Smear for some handy tips on how to work with that medium on exterior brick.

• Oce48421638

What do you seal this with?

• Carrie

So just to clarify, i can use drywall compound on an interior brick fireplace? Do i need to seal it? Or put a top coat on it?

• Robin Wilson

What can I use on the exterior to get the same look?

• Recaptured Charm

What you need to look for is a mortar smear. Your local Home Depot or Lowes can give you information on the mortar you will need for outdoors.