Learn to Do a German Smear

$250

Always wanted a brick wall in your home ? If you're like me and have always wanted one, but are not so keen on the price for real brick veneer, take a look at how plain, faux brick panels become aged and antiqued to create a focal point for any room. Learn to do a German Smear at Recaptured Charm.
learn to do a german smear, painting
The German Smear Technique The German Smear Technique aged this faux brick panel to just the right antique look for my bedroom.
learn to do a german smear, painting
See how easy it is to take these faux brick panels, hide the seams and create something spectacular for any room. These panels are a great starting point, but the seams drive me crazy.
learn to do a german smear, painting
Even though you can't see the seams in this picture, they really stand out in person. The panels are affordable and a great start to getting the look I want. With the dark furniture I wanted to lighten them up, but not get a painted look.
learn to do a german smear, painting
With Drywall Compound you can create a look that is sought after in many homes, apartments and lofts. Smear on the compound and take some off with a putty knife or scraper. Apply the compound lightly on some areas, and a tad heavier in other areas. Scraping some right down to the brick gives it that authentic brick look.
learn to do a german smear, painting
In the end you'll have a rustic and antiqued wall. This is all part of a bedroom makeover that will be revealed soon on Recaptured Charm
learn to do a german smear
Bedroom makeover complete. To see more pictures of the completed wall and bedroom update, see here http://www.recapturedcharm.com/2016/11/master-bedroom-makeover.html

• Faux Brick Panels
  • Drywall Compound
Recaptured Charm

• I am inspired.what can you use to seal the paint effect . I don't want it to rub off later

• Recaptured Charm

I actually don't recommend sealing the wall. I'm not sure if this wall is in a high traffic area of your house, but the compound doesn't easily rub off. You definitely can't 'paint' a sealer on, it would be disastrous. You could spray a sealer on if you like but that would be expensive. Just as you would treat a real brick wall, you would treat this faux brick wall. Authentic brick walls don't need any sealing or cleaning. This is the same. If you really want to seal the wall, use a spray but be careful how wet you allow the compound to get.

• Jennifer Fields

So can you use sheet rock mud to smear your fireplace inside if it’s real brick

• Vicki Adams

Will this work well on my travertine backsplash?

• Recaptured Charm

No it wouldn't. If you wanted to do a German Smear with another material, then it might, but definitely do not use drywall compound. This material once dried, cannot be washed.