Should I keep it?

+97
My dining room buffet is ugly. I would like to paint it, but I am afraid the paint will not stick. Please, I need an inspiration before Thanksgiving.
q should i keep it , painted furniture, painting
  • Elaine Musker Elaine Musker on Nov 07, 2016
    Masonry paint will stick to anything . And you can colour it as you wish by adding a little of some dark emulsion in the colour you want. Like icing-sugar, you only need a little of a tester pot. Otherwise, consider using wallpaper on it.
  • Amy P. Amy P. on Nov 07, 2016
    If you give it a very, very light sanding, just to add something rough for the paint to stick to, it can certainly be painted. I'd love to see it when you complete it.
  • Shereen Shantz Shereen Shantz on Nov 07, 2016
    Put a tablecloths . Dress it up with some bows.
  • Weezie Weezie on Nov 07, 2016
    send it straight to my house! i love it just like it is!
  • Sjr Sjr on Nov 07, 2016
    Chalk paint will work
  • Mos12289710 Mos12289710 on Nov 07, 2016
    Looks great as is - matter of taste.
  • William William on Nov 07, 2016
    Lightly sand to remove the shine and roughen the surface for paint. Prime with KILZ, BIN, or Zinsser primer then paint.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 07, 2016
    The piece is not ugly just a little outdated.What style is the rest of your furniture?
  • Patricia Young Patricia Young on Nov 07, 2016
    Not ugly! I have the matching table and china and would love to have the buffet.
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Nov 07, 2016
    I can see Lucy and Ethel serving coctails or turkey off this buffet. Do not change it, Clean and polish. Buy a nice silver cocktail shaker set and tray a couple tall candle sticks and go mid-century Hollywood. Wear a nice print apron when serving from it!
  • Conniehatfield3 Conniehatfield3 on Nov 07, 2016
    Personally, I love it but, if you hate it, besides painting it, you could stencil it or sew a cover for it & change it our seasonally ! Make a pattern & go from there or a couple of table runners could jazz it up for each season & upstage the table altogether! Best of Luck!
  • Citygirl Citygirl on Nov 07, 2016
    I don't find it ugly at all, but maybe it just doesn't tie in with the rest of your furniture? You can certainly apply KILZ & paint away, but that would kill the character (and value) of the piece. Sometimes a simple hardware update changes the whole look. Look around at your other furniture...what color & style is the hardware? The wood is beautiful, and appears to be in excellent condition. I would hate to see it ruined with paint. I had an odd piece in my dining room. Same color wood, similar style, but just didn't fit in. I spent less than $20 to change out the pulls to match the other pieces, and now I wouldn't think of getting rid of it! Fits in perfectly.
  • Allor Allor on Nov 08, 2016
    PLEASE don't destroy its beauty with paint.If you must attack it, just try to refinish it with Unicorn Spit stains for a new look.
  • Beverly Beverly on Nov 08, 2016
    You will need a bonding primer to paint this piece. Zinsser Bulls Eye 123. It's a water based primer, so easy clean up and very low odor. I have used this product on many of my cabinets. No sanding. This is not a blocking primer so if you are painting this piece a light color, it may take more than 2 coats of paint after you primer it.
  • Robbie Rob Robbie Rob on Nov 08, 2016
    I would change the knobs with more expensive looking ones that's all you need.
  • Wanda Wanda on Nov 08, 2016
    I have the same piece but it's china buffet . I love it. As Robbie recommend I would change the knobs for silver one.
  • Brenda Dasti Brenda Dasti on Nov 08, 2016
    It's a beautiful piece of furniture.
  • Patricia Ann Patricia Ann on Nov 08, 2016
    I TOO say it is truly elegant, beautiful. IF you really want to upgrade/update, find some new knobs, and MAYBE paint those two upright channels on each side ( a dark color, to blend in...Ican't tell what they're made of....
  • Bonita Laking Bonita Laking on Nov 08, 2016
    There is paint for everything these days. decide on what look you want. you can go antique look sand the edges,for distressed look.or simply paint for whoe new look.changing the knobs will giv it a whole new look too.decide on the colour you want.buy sample and check it out.dont be afraid to try something new.Paint is an awesome way to go.Chalk paint will give it antique look.research online for befor and after it will help you decide. Happy Thanksgiving.....
  • Jeanette Pikul Jeanette Pikul on Nov 08, 2016
    Beautiful ! Polish it up & add glass knobs.......that's all!
  • Cindi Cindi on Nov 08, 2016
    What a beauty ! Have you thought about adding small legs to it ? I think it would give it a new look, also changing up the knobs.
  • Virginia Virginia on Nov 08, 2016
    I have to agree. I looked at your picture and had to come right to the comment section. The piece is beautiful. A real classic. And at least in the picture, it looks like it has wonderful grain and patina.
  • B J  Alexis B J Alexis on Nov 08, 2016
    I agree, its a lovely piece and apparently in very good condition. Try replacing the knobs first, you may change your mind on painting.
  • Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Nov 08, 2016
    I would keep it. IT'S to close to the holiday to start a project for paint to cure. IN the future I would add a fine line of pain't in the metallic color of knows to highlight the lines of this cabinet but that's all. IT'S a beauty.
  • Judy Prier Burgess Judy Prier Burgess on Nov 08, 2016
    I like Farm House paint - I paints on all surfaces. I could imagine this in "Creamy Linen". I can imagine those ball feet underneath too. This paint dries quickly and you could complete the job in one day. I'm pretty sure it would need 3 coats of paint. Good luck!
  • Bklyn Cowgirl Bklyn Cowgirl on Nov 08, 2016
    If you really don't like it, can I have it??? I agree with the others, it's beautiful.
  • Pattie Pattie on Nov 08, 2016
    I would remove the doors, assuming there are shelves inside. Put a pretty wallpaper in behind the shelves for color. For the outside, after Thanksgiving, I would lightly sand the exterior then use a water wash paint to lighten it up in a coordinating color to match the wallpaper and room decor. Update the knobs. Good luck!
  • Ray Phillips Ray Phillips on Nov 08, 2016
    It is beautiful, all I would is trim the top edge and the base with a gold trim paint and change the knobs, I would never paint some thing beautiful
  • Cj Jones Cj Jones on Nov 08, 2016
    I would put a kilt paint down and them use a chalk off white paint. It might take several coats but it dries fast and then put a polyurethane sealer on. Change the knobs and you will have an outstanding piece.
  • Susan Bellwood Susan Bellwood on Nov 08, 2016
    Not ugly, very retro. I would leave it the way it is, it's beautiful.
  • Patty Patty on Nov 08, 2016
    I wouldn't change a thing it is a beautiful piece. I love painted pieces only when they are in bad shape and that is the best way to restore them or if they really are not a good piece to begin with, but yours is beautiful.
  • Karanne Karanne on Nov 08, 2016
    This has an art deco feel that is absolutely stunning but when we own something that doesn't suit our current 'style', we have to release it to a new life, look or owner. (this is a lesson for myself)
  • CeCe813 CeCe813 on Nov 08, 2016
    I have painted a couple of pieces with chalk paint, and love the way they now fit into my home. My old home had smaller, separate rooms with differing styles; my current home is more open and I hated that nothing seemed to match suddenly. If you use a light colored chalk paint on a dark piece, you will need a minimum of two coats, possibly three. I used the Amy Howard paint from Ace Hardware and have used white ivory and black, all with good results. The benefit is you don't have to buy something new (I couldn't really afford to be replacing many bookcases, a fireplace surround, etc.), and you can make it fit anywhere. I have not had any problem with the chalk paint sticking to shiny surface either - it's a miracle ;)
  • Melissapace Melissapace on Nov 08, 2016
    I love purple , just ship it to me. LOL
  • Kmc7517963 Kmc7517963 on Nov 08, 2016
    Perhaps you can sell it. Then use the cash to get something you like. It is too nice to paint.
  • Vicki Vicki on Nov 08, 2016
    Do you know who manufactured this buffet? It looks beautiful. What it needs is stunning hardware. Take a look at Lisa Jarvis Designs.
  • Arlene Maresca Arlene Maresca on Nov 08, 2016
    If you think its ugly, sell it
  • Lola Griffin Lola Griffin on Nov 08, 2016
    It's beautiful
  • Carolyn Davis Carolyn Davis on Nov 08, 2016
    a beautiful antique, sell it please don't paint it
  • Barb Barb on Nov 08, 2016
    If you are determined to paint it, dive in. First clean the surface thoroughly. Then lightly sand. Wipe down again. Now put on bonding primer. Wait 24 hrs. before painting. Please use a good quality paint. I have used this method many times. You may also finish up with some clear poly. Hope this helps.
  • Patricia Ann Patricia Ann on Nov 09, 2016
    So many of us appreciate the lines o the buffet itself. AND truly admire the "music" of the wood. ( I refinish furniture and that's how I feel about the grains of certain woods, they harmonize, come to a crescendo, etc. etc.). If you still truly don't like/appreciate the buffet OR just cannot stand the style, PLEASE sell/give it to someone that will. Otherwise, keep it and love it dearly....
  • Carmen Carmen on Nov 09, 2016
    Don't paint it. You'll ruin it. If you really have no use for it sell it on Craigslist. That's how I've gotten rid of things and made some money. Beats garage sales!
  • Cathy Cathy on Nov 09, 2016
    I kind of agree with you---not my taste at all---too modern looking. Do something with it or get something you really like before the Holidays---an early Christmas present to yourself.
  • 861650 861650 on Nov 09, 2016
    Any time you rush to do a project, you will certainly be disappointed. May I suggest you check out this website, pinterest and google, "how to refurbish adining room buffet." You will find hundreds of ideas. However, since Thanksgiving is just around the corner, you could use or make a table runner or one with a skirt attached. It does not have to be ruffled or pleated.
  • Leslie Mavis Oniki Leslie Mavis Oniki on Nov 09, 2016
    I had an heirloom hope chest with the same problem. Didn't paint it for years, just because... but it was always in a closet. I looked for similar pieces on Pinterest, painted it with chalk paint and now I actually use it!! I say - do your research and then go for it!!
  • Dj Dj on Nov 09, 2016
    Is that Art Deco? It's gorgeous, but way dark. Can you sand it down and put a lighter finish on it?