DIY: Make a Mini Potting Shed

$10

When you don't have enough space for a proper potting shed then this mini version might be just right for you. It was really easy to make and it's just big enough to hold all those small garden tools.
What is it with small garden tools? Whenever I look for them they're MIA. It's probably my own fault, I have this really bad habit of just leaving them somewhere when my mind changes gears. We've even found them in the fridge on one or two occasions. Yup, gardening is thirsty work. We wanted our mini potting shed to be just big enough to store all our little gardening tools and these metal signs fit the bill perfectly. They're 31 cm (12 1/8") wide and 15 cm (6") tall and we used them to create the sides of the potting shed.
We used some pallet bits to make a door and the top and bottom of the potting shed. The pallet bits were sealed with a weather-resistant stain to protect the wood from soil and water damage. Once the stain was dry we nailed the metal signs onto the sides of the base and top and attached the door with a piano hinge.
I couldn't find any handles (they're probably also in a fridge somewhere) so we used an old stripped valve and copper saddles instead. To age the saddles Hubby used his blow torch to add a lovely old patina that matched the valve nicely.
To hang the potting shed we simply attached two picture mounting plates to the back.
She's just big enough to for all our little gardening bits and when the door flips open we can use her as a potting bench too.
I love to hear what you think about the mini potting shed/bench. Are you lucky enough to have space for a big one?
If you want to see the full tutorial on how we made her, please come say hi on the blog. We love our HomeTalk visitors.

Michelle Leslie

• Krafty Mrs.K

Love the project but what really speaks to me is the bit about your mind shifting gears and your gardening gear ending up in the fridge. That is so like me. I am realizing I may need the ADHD meds more than my teen son. Creative brains are just wired differently. Who else would have thought to use metal signs for this mini potting bench?

• Patty

This is brilliant!

• Patty

You are so talented and inspiring! I love your connection to nature and nod to humor. Would you be my mentor? I need someone like you in my life!

• Michelle Leslie

Wow Patty, that must be one of the most beautiful things someone has ever said to me, hugs, kisses and love