Mordy
Mordy
  • Lakewood, NJ

Slanted Closet Ceiling Solved!

I used Modular Closets to design a pallet wall walk in closet with slanted ceilings
slanted closet ceiling solved , closet, wall decor
My latest DIY project tackles two things I'm passionate about: pallet walls & slanted ceilings. Since our office is a converted house, my CEO's office (read: master bedroom) has a nice empty walk-in closet = perfect project location. After removing the old wire shelving and window moldings, I marked off my studs to assure the securest possible anchor.
The Before Pic
The Before Pic
As chance would have it, I secured myself a bunch of free pallets- Here they are in my backyard.
I started by using a Sawzill, or reciprocating saw, to saw into the nails holding the cross boards to the main frame. Took a while to find the right blade, and I ended up switching over to a standard handsaw. This allowed me to saw the boards along the edge of the frame. The pieces ended up being smaller, but I found this method to be the easiest of all.
After sanding down my pallet boards & setting up my 2.5" Nail Compressor, I began nailing the boards onto my closet wall at staggered intervals. I left a space where I knew the center Drawer Unit I'd planned to go under the window would be, figuring the drawer fronts would block the back wall.
After finishing the lower half, it was time to tackle the slanted angles of the roof. Proud of this: I used a board held to the angle of the slant to mark my trim line on the pallet board that would be cut to fit the angle. Nice DIY tactic, if I do say so myself ::)
Oddly satisfying, fitting in the last few angular pieces:)
The finished wall, before closet install
I planned out my Modular Closet to stand at 78" from the floor at the highest tower, calculating a 6" filler base I'd create using our matching filler strips. The base came out approximately 16" from the base to account for the 14" depth of the Modular Closet components & around 2" of pallet wall. I opted to just keep the Shelf Towers without adding closet Drawers to them. Mounting the Shelf Towers (without their included floor supports) & smaller Shelf Unit left me some space in between to construct my own hanging area from a Rod & Shelf. I wanted the staggered descending heights of the units to flow with the roof's slant.
Next morning, I went to Lowes & bought some discount cacti & a planter under the window. Fashioning a box from some leftover pallet boards was a cinch.
Finished! Still need to put the remaining Drawer pulls & finish around the windows...

To see more: http://www.modularclosets.com/blogs/themodule/modular-closet-diys-pallet-wall-walk-in-modular-closet

• Diana

It looks like there are lights on the tops of the cabinets. Are there, and if so what kind?

• Tammie B

Where do you find to be the best places to get free pallets?

• Sharon Bardonner

I’ve seen several at commercial construction sites, especially when bricks have been delivered.

• Mainiebets

I just LOVE this! Beautiful job!! I am terrible with angle cuts. Would you mind explaining the “board held at angle” method in detail for me? Thanks so much!

• Sharon Bardonner

They way I interpreted it was to hold (or tack) one board horizontally level from the left edge of the wall. Place a second board along the ceiling edge, overlapping the first, and follow it to mark your angle on the first (horizontal) board.

• Renata

Wonderful job. Hope it not like me and don't complete the job. Hate me when I do that, or should I say don't do that, lol.

• Peggy Burnette

I have a wall in the top of our barn and would love to do this for storage. Thank you for sharing.