Mordy
Mordy
  • Lakewood, NJ

Slanted Closet Ceiling Solved!

I used Modular Closets to design a pallet wall walk in closet with slanted ceilings
slanted closet ceiling solved , closet, wall decor
My latest DIY project tackles two things I'm passionate about: pallet walls & slanted ceilings. Since our office is a converted house, my CEO's office (read: master bedroom) has a nice empty walk-in closet = perfect project location. After removing the old wire shelving and window moldings, I marked off my studs to assure the securest possible anchor.
The Before Pic
The Before Pic
As chance would have it, I secured myself a bunch of free pallets- Here they are in my backyard.
I started by using a Sawzill, or reciprocating saw, to saw into the nails holding the cross boards to the main frame. Took a while to find the right blade, and I ended up switching over to a standard handsaw. This allowed me to saw the boards along the edge of the frame. The pieces ended up being smaller, but I found this method to be the easiest of all.
After sanding down my pallet boards & setting up my 2.5" Nail Compressor, I began nailing the boards onto my closet wall at staggered intervals. I left a space where I knew the center Drawer Unit I'd planned to go under the window would be, figuring the drawer fronts would block the back wall.
After finishing the lower half, it was time to tackle the slanted angles of the roof. Proud of this: I used a board held to the angle of the slant to mark my trim line on the pallet board that would be cut to fit the angle. Nice DIY tactic, if I do say so myself ::)
Oddly satisfying, fitting in the last few angular pieces:)
The finished wall, before closet install
I planned out my Modular Closet to stand at 78" from the floor at the highest tower, calculating a 6" filler base I'd create using our matching filler strips. The base came out approximately 16" from the base to account for the 14" depth of the Modular Closet components & around 2" of pallet wall. I opted to just keep the Shelf Towers without adding closet Drawers to them. Mounting the Shelf Towers (without their included floor supports) & smaller Shelf Unit left me some space in between to construct my own hanging area from a Rod & Shelf. I wanted the staggered descending heights of the units to flow with the roof's slant.
Next morning, I went to Lowes & bought some discount cacti & a planter under the window. Fashioning a box from some leftover pallet boards was a cinch.
Finished! Still need to put the remaining Drawer pulls & finish around the windows...

To see more: http://www.modularclosets.com/blogs/themodule/modular-closet-diys-pallet-wall-walk-in-modular-closet

• Amazing Grace !

I love the look, and what a great idea for either a closet or an office workstation. I am a big time fradie kat when it comes to bugs.... and I have worked with pallets and always found them to be very frustrating to get them apart. I have a circular saw, and I am not afraid to use it, but are these pallets bug free? Also, I am not criticizing your work because it came out fantastic, however I am into color, and would have painted the pallets (watered down acrylic like a white wash) and maybe an accent color here and there, but thats me I am weird like that. How are you going to frame the window? White baseboard, or pallet boards?

I saw the question about the "lights" and you haven't answered that question yet, but that was one of the first things I thought too - I didn't notice any, but some white track lights (with a dimmer switch) directed on specific areas would add depth and warmth. Those are the only comments! Would you kindly reply to my BUG QUESTION? I am a big collector of pallets (but they usually have to be almost perfect and clean) there is a constant source of them where I live.

• Amazing Grace !

Just looked at your project again. And if you put a board across the top of the two top cabinets it would be ideal for lighting - decorative silk plants, or even different colored pots, vases, or even some strip lighting tacked to the back. The overhang will direct the sunlight into the room and unit, not the whole room which will create heat due to the sunlight filling the entire room. The overhang on the top with a strip of quarter round or even reversed crown molding will finish the look. Again, I am not criticizing just suggesting. I would try this in a heartbeat, if I had a slanted room like you have. Well Done and amazing imagination! BRAVO