Slanted Closet Ceiling Solved!

I used Modular Closets to design a pallet wall walk in closet with slanted ceilings
My latest DIY project tackles two things I'm passionate about: pallet walls & slanted ceilings. Since our office is a converted house, my CEO's office (read: master bedroom) has a nice empty walk-in closet = perfect project location. After removing the old wire shelving and window moldings, I marked off my studs to assure the securest possible anchor.
The Before Pic
As chance would have it, I secured myself a bunch of free pallets- Here they are in my backyard.
I started by using a Sawzill, or reciprocating saw, to saw into the nails holding the cross boards to the main frame. Took a while to find the right blade, and I ended up switching over to a standard handsaw. This allowed me to saw the boards along the edge of the frame. The pieces ended up being smaller, but I found this method to be the easiest of all.
After sanding down my pallet boards & setting up my 2.5" Nail Compressor, I began nailing the boards onto my closet wall at staggered intervals. I left a space where I knew the center Drawer Unit I'd planned to go under the window would be, figuring the drawer fronts would block the back wall.
After finishing the lower half, it was time to tackle the slanted angles of the roof. Proud of this: I used a board held to the angle of the slant to mark my trim line on the pallet board that would be cut to fit the angle. Nice DIY tactic, if I do say so myself ::)
Oddly satisfying, fitting in the last few angular pieces:)
The finished wall, before closet install
I planned out my Modular Closet to stand at 78" from the floor at the highest tower, calculating a 6" filler base I'd create using our matching filler strips. The base came out approximately 16" from the base to account for the 14" depth of the Modular Closet components & around 2" of pallet wall. I opted to just keep the Shelf Towers without adding closet Drawers to them. Mounting the Shelf Towers (without their included floor supports) & smaller Shelf Unit left me some space in between to construct my own hanging area from a Rod & Shelf. I wanted the staggered descending heights of the units to flow with the roof's slant.
Next morning, I went to Lowes & bought some discount cacti & a planter under the window. Fashioning a box from some leftover pallet boards was a cinch.
Finished! Still need to put the remaining Drawer pulls & finish around the windows...

31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden

To see more: http://www.modularclosets.com/blogs/themodule/modular-closet-diys-pallet-wall-walk-in-modular-closet

• Diana

It looks like there are lights on the tops of the cabinets. Are there, and if so what kind?

• Julie Cain Newman

I see what she is talking about. In the first picture, it looks like there are lights on top of the shelves shining upward. Not sure if it is reflecting off the other light or what.

• Tammie B

Where do you find to be the best places to get free pallets?

• Robyn Garner

Yes, the best source is construction sites. Smile and nicely ask the foreman if you can take them - no one's ever said "no" to me lol!

• Mainiebets

I just LOVE this! Beautiful job!! I am terrible with angle cuts. Would you mind explaining the “board held at angle” method in detail for me? Thanks so much!

• Sharon Bardonner

They way I interpreted it was to hold (or tack) one board horizontally level from the left edge of the wall. Place a second board along the ceiling edge, overlapping the first, and follow it to mark your angle on the first (horizontal) board.

• Divababiexoxo

that wall is fantastic! You did a wonderful job. and the shelves look great. Gives you a lot of space to put things

• Toni Teague

I love this idea. I am a succulent lover so you really got my attention on the window box. You are so lucky to have a closet area with a window. It makes picking out clothes so much easier. Sometimes the blues and black can be hard to tell apart especially in a dark room. Your sharing of the angle trick will be appreciated by many. Thank you for sharing.