I am trying to get ideas on how to cover up a circuit breaker box?

+18
Our breaker box is in our office and it is an eye sore. Does anyone have any ideas on how to cover it up so that our office looks nice?????
  • Ann Ann on Nov 10, 2016
    Ours is on the kitchen wall. We put a cabinet door on it. Put wood strips around it, and mounted a cabinet door.
  • Donald Doty Donald Doty on Nov 11, 2016
    you can build a box around it
  • Liliana Wells Liliana Wells on Nov 11, 2016
    Hang a large mirror or large box over it.
  • Stephanie corley Stephanie corley on Nov 11, 2016
    Cover it with a large picture, shutters or a reclaimed cabinet door.
  • David Ogden David Ogden on Nov 11, 2016
    A mirrored window
  • Shawna Bailey Shawna Bailey on Nov 30, 2016
    Cover it with a picture that's attached by a hinge. A bigger canvas (unframed) may be the best bet to cover it
  • Betty Betty on Dec 01, 2016
    Over the years I have decoupaged fabric directly to the cover and also did the same with a large poster/print. Both of these coordinated with the "decor". In my cousin's house (she rents), I ordered a poster/print that would cover the whole thing, put it in a light weight frame, and hung it from Command hooks
    • Bbunny42 Bbunny42 on Jan 02, 2017
      Good idea! I did the same thing once except I used my usual method of hanging something -- drive a nail in the wall, which I did -- right above the box -- you know, where all the wires come in. Not my smartest moment! My husband almost had a heart attack (but the picture looked nice). Command Hooks are a much better idea!
  • Chris Chris on Dec 31, 2016
    We have three mirrors in a row. The electrical box is under the one on the right in pic.
  • Teresa G Teresa G on Dec 31, 2016
    I put magnets, large and small. I can add seasonal and keep special.
  • Carol Kauffman Carol Kauffman on Jan 07, 2017
    In my family room is our electric panel. I used a large magnet (one for a wreath on a metal door) and hung a picture over it. When we need to get into it, it is easy to take the picture down, open and then put it back up.
  • Stephen Scott Johnson Stephen Scott Johnson on Jan 08, 2017
    Having worked in the electrical business, I would suggest checking with your code authorities to make sure you can cover these up. Certain requirements for access may be covered under the NEC (National Electrical Code) or local building codes. Whether it's a residential dwelling or commercial dwelling, these may be treated differently in the NEC code. Sounds like this one is inside. For outside service panels I would definitely not recommend covering up because if you have a fire, this may be where the fire department goes first to kill power in the building. Having it open or visible just helps them easily locate it faster.

So if it doesn't violate codes and as long as you (or key office workers) know where to turn power off in an emergency, I don't see a problem covering it up.

I know this doesn't address your question directly, but I always like to put safety first.

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Jan 09, 2017
    Place a fabric cork covered board for notes the ones that have ribbon. It's useful in an office just make sure you can remove it easily.
  • Mar12973023 Mar12973023 on Jan 11, 2017
    Build a Shadow box frame with a back on it. Hinge like a door that opens and closes. Place small items on shadow box shelves.
  • Martha Evans Martha Evans on Jan 11, 2017
    i had big uglily electrical box in family room that i just boxed in with with shutter which i painted to match my butter yellow wall. It blended well and you can add pic or floral arrangement to it.
  • Yvonne Yvonne on Jan 15, 2017
    We attached an extra kitchen cabinet door with the center panel painted in chalkboard paint to the panel door. We use it for notes to each other. You could do a mirror as well.
  • Shawna Bailey Shawna Bailey on Jan 17, 2017
    Sounds great!