How to Update an Old Countertop to Look Like Beautiful Marble

I took up a challenge to update the bathroom in our rental house. In order for the bathroom to look better, the old yellow counter NEEDED to get an update. Since, there is no way I could replace the countertop, I made this easy and cheap update and now it looks like beautiful marble.
This is what the counter looked like when I started. Very yellow and dated! No matter how hard I cleaned, it never looked clean!
I started by cleaning up the counter with cleaning solutions and then followed it with a wipe down with rubbing alcohol. Then I cut marble contact paper to size and slowly peeled the backing away as I smoothed any bubbles with a credit card.
Around the Sink and the faucet, I used an exacto knife to cut out the shapes.
I covered all the edges and sides using little strips of contact paper. A couple hours of work and we have beautiful new counters! Isn't it amazing what (afilliate) Marble contact paper can do!!
These were a part of the Kids bathroom makeover. Take a look at the entire Kids bathroom makeover and all the tutorials!
Since it is a rental, everything is temporary and removable and needed only 2 tiny holes in the wall!
I managed to do the entire makeover for under $100 including a towel shelf with hooks, updating the light fixture and a wood valence.

• Marble Contact paper  (Amazon)

31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Anika Gandhi

• Sandy Sailer

This looks awesome! How did you hide the seams, where the pieces come together? Thanks!

• Ann

This is beautiful but how does it hold up with normal, every day use. Would you suggest covering it with clear paint?

• Kimberly Pardue

What about the water ? Have u had a problem w/ it peeling?

• Ashley

I have similar contact laminate paper, a little darker grey than this, but very similar, and I'm considering lightly sanding the top first, what I call "scuffing", (just to give a porous surface for the glue to adhere to) then using a heavy duty 3MM spray adhesive underneath, as I hate my current laminate anyway, so I don't really care if the new marble top ever comes off again lol. My one issue is with the squared off edges....Mine is square too, and I love the look, but atleast in my case, it's going to be difficult to not end up seeing space between the seams, at the edges, since the current countertops have sub par construction to begin with...It's also a high traffic, high moisture area (kitchen)...So I'll probably have to add some white caulking at the edges, and where the seams meet at the front, to fill in the gaps...I'm just thinking longevity wise as I've seen, and done alot of absolutely gorgeous diy jobs that look like the real deal, expensive alternatives, but they fall apart within a few weeks due to lack of planning ahead, as far as anticipating how much wear and tear it will have to endure...I learned my lesson on that one...Better to be overly cautious, and spend a bit more time and money to ensure a good, heavy duty seal, rather than having to redo it in a few months....

• MiMi

I’d love to know if you did anything special? I did this “marble contact paper fix” on my mom’s counter & even put poly over it and didn’t even hold up a year! Thanks

• Malika Ibrahim

This is awsome: I just moved into a rental that has bathroom countertops with a spotted yellowish and cranberry something. I just cant work in that color in anything I had envisioned. This is my solution. Thank you!