Sarah Trop
Sarah Trop
  • Troy, NY

Coat Rack Made From An Old Door

A lot of older homes don't have mud rooms or coat closets! And some closets just aren't used, especially by kids, they'd rather make a pile on the floor! This is a more creative solution, other than pegs in the wall!
coat rack made from an old door, doors
Solid Wood Door
Solid Wood Door
Note to self, if you want to try a project like this on your own, try to find a door without the paint on it. I probably spend 4-5 hours trying to remove 4 layers of paint. Such a pain!
coat rack made from an old door, doors
It’s important to note that this is an old, solid wood door, so it is really sturdy and easy to add hangers on.
coat rack made from an old door, doors
John added crown molding to the top and a base so it could be self standing. The door rests on the bottom shelf help securely by L-Brackets on the bottom.
We painted it a new red by Benjamin Moore called Caliente AF-290 then added a door knob, along with the coat hangers. If this were in my house, I would add hangers half way down, for kids coats and back packs! Here’s how she came out and I’ve got to say… I love her!!!

To see more: http://funcycled.com/projects/old-door-turned-into-a-coat-hanger-tuesdays-treasures