Barn Tree Place
Barn Tree Place
  • Temecula, CA

Rustic Wood Turkey

It all started with a pizza box, pallet wood and help from my hubby!
Fall is my favorite time of the year and I always "need" more decorations, so I asked my husband to help me with this guy.
Meet our newest family member...Duke!
rustic wood turkey
You might be asking, "Why not name him Tom?" Well, we already have a "Tommy" in our family. He is our 13 yr old African Tortoise. lol So...Duke it is!
rustic wood turkey
Not only did we upcycle our pizza box, we used the top and bottom circumference of a bathroom waste can to make two sections of his body. The largest body piece was the cardboard piece that a large pizza comes on.
We made templates for every part. I elected the hubby to freehand draw the head, beak, snood (never knew the name, but it's the dangling thingy off the top of the beak) and the feet base. We cut all the pieces out with a Jig Saw.
When possible, we tried to cut around the old nails in the pallet wood to give Duke a more rustic look.
rustic wood turkey
rustic wood turkey
rustic wood turkey
We kept the feet connected as we thought it would create more support.
rustic wood turkey
rustic wood turkey
After everything was cut, we used wood glue and an nail airgun to secure everything in place.
We had some stained scrap wood that we used for the feathers.
rustic wood turkey
Due to the lengthy instructions and all the pictures, we would like to invite you to view our website (see link below) for the full step by step instructions and more pictures.
Enjoy and Happy Crafting!

• Wood
  • Wood glue
  • Jig saw

To see more: http://www.barntreeplace.com/rustic-wood-turkey.html

• Dana Thomas

I love your little Duke! I am wondering about his legs(what are they made from)? Also does he stand well or does he seem a little too heavy?

• Barn Tree Place

Hello. Duke was a little top-heavy so we had a little heels to the back this feet. He is made from all pallet wood. If you have any further questions or cannot see the photos you may email me and I can send photos through email. Happy crafting!

• Marti

I know this is from last year, but I'm hoping to get your turkey made before Thanksgiving, I didn't have time last year. Is it possible to get the measurements, or purchase a paper pattern for it. I can try to guess, but yours is perfect :) Thank you,

• Karen Burns Harper

Can we get measurements?? Or buy a pattern??