Tissue Box Turned Storage Bins

$0

If you are anything like me you don't just have one junk drawer... you have one too many! I know there are a lot of solutions out there to help you get organized, but why not repurpose something you have on hand to help clean the clutter. If you have some empty tissue boxes lying around this quick and easy storage solution is perfect for you! Just a little glue and fabric and these aren't simply helpful, but cute too!
tissue box turned storage bins, composting, go green, storage ideas
SUPPLIES: -Old Tissue Boxes -Scrap Fabric Pieces -Scissors -Tacky Spray -Ruler -Marker
STEP 1: Wrap the fabric around the box to make sure it is large enough to cover all sides fully. Cut the fabric to size so there isn't too much or too little.
STEP 2: Cut the tops off of your tissue boxes.
STEP 3: Spray the bottom of the tissue box with spray glue and place it on the center of the cut fabric.
STEP 4: Take a ruler and place it against the end of the tissue box. Mark a straight line to the edge of the fabric. Repeat on all four corners. Cut small slits in the fabric along the lines you just drew to the corners of the box.
STEP 5: Use spray glue to glue the end sides in place and fold in the cut flaps glueing them down to the box.
STEP 6: Grab your spray glue yet again to finish up the job with the remaining sides. Fold the remaining flaps up and over the open edge of the box.
STEP 7: Press all the fabric into place making sure there are no bubbles.
You could fold the edges in on the last flaps to create a more finished look if you want.
Because they come in two different sizes you can customize to your needs or the the size of the drawer you are organizing! They fit like a puzzle too!
This is not staged... This is a literal before and after. I know... I am a hot mess.
These could certainly be left out of a drawer too considering how fun they become when coated in some fabric. Organize the top of a desk perhaps?

• M. M..

What did we do before spray adhesive?Actually my question is, would the cut fabric look like a big plus sign, the arms of fabric folding up to the box's sides? I couldn't get the video to work..

• Roberta

Mod Podge might work as well as spray adhesive.
  • Eroque022810

I don't have fabric since I haven't sewed for over a decade. I do have scrapbook paper in pretty patterns. In your opinion do you think that would work or should purchase fabric ? Thanks

• Denise

How about just picking up some inexpensive fat quarters instead? I get them pretty cheap at Walmart.

• Kathy Lovell-Palumbo

I'd like to try this! How large are the fabric pieces to start? I've looked on Amazon and they come in various sizes. Thanks so much!
    • Jewellmartin

I have used clean, old pjs and other clothes. But sometimes I either paint or paper the box first with white so the pattern on the box does not show through.