Suzette
Suzette
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Melbourne, FL

Sail To Get Your Mail?!

$200

Here in Florida, it's not uncommon to see fun and whimsical mailboxes. I just finished this custom Pirate Ship Mailbox and it's sailing all the way to Homestead, Fl. !!
sail to get your mail
This was a fun project! Because I was making this for someone else, and was on a schedule, I forgot to take all the pictures along the way, but will give you what I have. First I started out by using a standard metal mailbox, 1/2" Severe weather, pressure treated plywood, 5/8" Oak dowels, Two 3/8" flanges, 3/16" clothes line, 2" x 1" lumber, Copper sheets, stain, wood glue, poly seal, and a whole lot of imagination.
sail to get your mail
I traced out the general ship design and cut it out with my jigsaw. I made two panels.
sail to get your mail
Then I cut out the back panel and Deck and attached them using wood glue and screws. I also used L brackets for better stability. I marked where the holes in the mailbox lined up with the bottom of the boat and drilled the holes so later it could attach to the mailbox post.
sail to get your mail
sail to get your mail
For the door, I used two pieces of wood I had left over from the center of a wood spool. It was curved and worked perfect. I attached the wood from the inside of the mailbox door. I cut my trim from the 2x1 lumber then stained the boat and all my pieces. To get different shades of gray on the trim, I just put on the stain and wiped it off after a few seconds.
sail to get your mail
Next I decided where I wanted the dowels to go and used the flanges to hold my dowels. I cut the dowels to resemble a cross, drilled a hole through the intersection of the cross, and used a bolt and nut to join them. . I stood on either side of the flange to put my weight on the dowels to screw them in. The sheets of copper were already the size I needed. I drilled holes in each corner and screwed them to the dowels.
sail to get your mail
I cut out my railing from a piece of leftover spool wood, drilled holes and used old foam paint brush handles for the dowels. (I save everything) I know nothing about rigging a boat. ( I was hoping the recipient didn't either)! So I looked and looked at pictures, but they made me go cross eyed, so I just took the general idea and did my own thing.
sail to get your mail
The sail on the front is hanging on the clothes line. The bow sprite is just two dowels cut on an angle and screwed together, then wrapped in clothes line. Last, I cut out my flags, painted and drilled holes in the top of the dowels to put in place.
sail to get your mail
So there you have it! A fun and whimsical way to get your mail! This ended up being rather large. 38" L x 14" W x 38" H. Sorry I didn't get better "during" pictures, but I had a deadline to meet. Thanks for lookin' :)
sail to get your mail
I forgot to add this photo, sorry for any confusion it may have caused!
sail to get your mail
This is the 3rd custom pirate ship mailbox I've made.
sail to get your mail
This one was for a stuntman /Actor is Los Angeles!!

• Mailbox  (Lowe's)
  • 1/2" Plywood, 2"x1" lumber, 5/8" Oak Dowels  (Lowe's)
  • Copper Sheets  (Ace Hardware)

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/Junkdrunkrepurposedstuff

• Karen Black

I don't have a question but just wanted to say, I am in Homestead this week for the race. We are staying in the Keys and there are some ugly mailboxes. I see many Manatees. This one, you constructed, is such a breath of fresh air. I hope the folks down here take note of your masterpiece and contact you.

• Suzette

Thank you so much Karen!! I'm not sure if they put it out yet, and don't know the area, but it's in the 25000 block of SW 189th Ave. Thanks for taking the time to look and comment! :)

• Diane Gidaro

Is there any concern that the pole and rod sticking out in the front might poke the mailman in the eye or face?

• Rebecca godfrey

Would u have instructions for a stage coach.