Winter Wonderland Window Display

$35-40

Who doesn't love shimmer things and lights?! This is the perfect project to do with kids and get them involved with your Christmas decorating--maybe even have some cookies in the oven while you create this fun window display together.
SUPPLIES:
-assorted ornaments of choice (I chose 2 different size no-shatter ornaments and some inexpensive snowflake picks.)
-battery powered LED string lights
-garland
-fishing line
-scissors
Not pictured:
-push pins
-wire snips
Here is the plain BEFORE picture of my kitchen window.
STEP 1: Prep ornaments
If you're using the snowflake picks from Michaels like I did, you'll want to first snip the stick off. Then, simply cut a piece of fishing line with your scissors and tie to each snowflake. String each ornament as well.
STEP 2: Hang and fasten ornaments, lights and garland
Next, wrap the fishing line of your ornament around the pointy part of a push pin and push each pin into the top of your window casing. If you don't have window casing and you don't want a bunch of tiny holes above your window in your sheetrock, simply arrange your ornaments and lights on a long piece of wood, then mount it above your window.
Also using push pins, attach your string lighting to the top of your window. Of course be careful not to push any pins directly into the wiring--you'll want to either pin the wire against the wall where your window casing meets, or separate two of the tiny wires (there should be 3) and pin between them.
After you've pinned all of your ornaments and lights, take a strip of garland and pin on top of your window casing. Do this to cover up all of your push pins and give your window display a completed look.
Bo loves this window display! He was napping when I put everything together and he woke up astonished at the lights--it's amazing what a few inexpensive elements can create!

• Millie Toland LaPoint

where is the battery pack

• Hidden away at the top of my cabinets :)

• Barb Munday

So you have to get on a chair to activate it or is it light sensitive?

• Crystal Marie Polywkan

I was able to find ones that have a timer on them, 6hours on, 18 hours off.

• Iwa11687529

Where did you find ones with a timer

• Beverly Campbell

The timers are a great idea with different times to turn off and you can choose to have them blink....but the blink drives me nuts! I have purchased several sets on line and during the summer you can usually get a percentage off. They are also cheaper on line...I got a 60 light string for $3.95. DON'T

• Beverly Campbell

OPPS I hit the wrong button. I meant to add "DON'T buy buy in the craft stores...sometimes they are 2 to 3 times as much as on line....Just saying!

• Lynnalys

How do you get one strand of lights to hang down in three strings?!?

• Cas15135541

Where were u able 2 find the LED lights with the timer on it , if I may ask ? I'm unable 2 drive due 2 not having all of my eyesight , so I'm looking 2 figure out where everything is so the person I ask 2 drive me doesn't have 2 drive all over the place on my account ! This is a FANTASTIC IDEA !! I LOVE IT !! Thank-you 4 sharing ur idea with everyone !!!

• Squ7437099

I have several large "plastic" jars like the ones peanut butter comes in. Can I use these and store the ingredients for a couple of weeks without eating the plastic?

• I'm sorry, what ingredients are you referring to?

• Dav15812363

These jars are perfect for sending treat care packages to college kids or grandkids. I use them for cookies, chex mix, carmel corn, or homemade hot cocoa mix and add a few stickers on the outside for a festive look.
      They're also great for freezing green pepper slices to add to your favorite recipes. I like to keep some on hand since they come in handy for many other uses.

• Kate

Love this look!! I'm going to do this for Christmas this year. Only 4wks to go

• Marlene

What a great idea! Looks great.