DIY Porch Planters Under $25

Hey guys! Today I'm going to share a super basic DIY project that I completed this week. This is a VERY easy build and it cost under $25 for each planter!
diy porch planters under 25, gardening
Lets start with the before. I hate gardening and yard work. Well, practically anything that has to do with home maintenance outside. That includes porch decor. It's just not my thing. Sorry neighbors, I keep trying to get better!
diy porch planters under 25, gardening
The thing is, you can see right into my living room from the front door. And at night, anyone in the street or on the sidewalk has a clear view of what is happening. Blinds for those small windows were a fortune, and curtains there aren't really my thing. Then I realized that a tall planter would block everyone's view from the sidewalk, but I could still let natural light it and see out if needed.
NOTE: I DO NOT want full privacy. I want to see out, and seeing in from the porch is fine. I just don't want people looking in from 40 feet away. Since the porch is elevated, I only needed to block the bottom few feet to accomplish this.
I found this planter on Pinterest and decided it was perfect for my space. http://www.remodelaholic.com/vive-la-france-tall-wooden-planter/
diy porch planters under 25, gardening
I went to Lowe's with a basic plan. I knew I wanted 1x2 furring strips for the inside posts. At only $1 for 8 feet, how could I not? Then I remembered the rolling shoe storage I made for my mudroom (http://www.targetandtory.com/diy-laundry-room-makeover/). I used tongue and groove planks there, and decided this is practically the same and bought some more.
diy porch planters under 25, gardening
I purchased a planter from Lowe's and then started winging it. I cut the furring strips to 35" with my miter saw. I then placed them on the sides of the planter to get an idea at how long I needed to cut my planks. I ended up needing 12.5" on 2 sides (I made sure there was enough overhang so the side pieces would fit up against it) and 10.25" on the other 2. I attached all of the planks with my Ryobi Nail Gun.
diy porch planters under 25, gardening
Once it was built, I stained it with my current favorite color. Minwax Dark Walnut. I always use a sock when staining. I finished it off with a top coat of spray poly in satin.
diy porch planters under 25, gardening
I needed a place for the planter to sit on, so I added a few furring strips 9.5" down and nailed them in as well. The original post that I was following on Pinterest added a lot more work (pocket holes, etc). I could (should?) have done that, however I didn't feel it was necessary for my purpose.
diy porch planters under 25, gardening
I went to JoAnn's and bought items to fill the planters at 50% off, which I swear is still so expensive! Each planter cost $20 each to fill.
diy porch planters under 25, gardening
Once I had them up I thought they looked a touch boring, but I liked it, but I was torn. I decided to make a template out of cardboard and add gold screws.
diy porch planters under 25, gardening
I then decided to see what it would look like for the holidays if I added some red to the decor. I love it! (Pic was taken before the gold screws were added)
diy porch planters under 25, gardening
There's a few more DIY projects over at the blog if you want to check them out!
Andrea

• Mar15466125

Like what you did. I have the same side windows. My question is what color is the door painted and what kind of paint did you use? I really like it

• Barbara Bogenreuther

I was a bit curious, myself, about the color name and brand of paint on the door. So I used my Sherwin Williams fan deck and found there are only two colors that closely match the door. Using a small LED flashlight, I aimed the light on both swatches as I had them leaned against my screen and next to the door. My monitor may show an entirely different shade, but you can go to Sherwin Williams' website and enter the following numbers to have a good look at the swatches, or you can also try googling it by simply entering the color numbers after the name, Sherwin Williams to see what comes up. It works for me most of the time. The numbers are: SW 6966 (the color name is Blueblood), and SW 6967 (color name is Frank Blue). They are the only two in the entire fan that could possibly be a match. It took some doing to narrow it down, but that's as close as I could come. Good luck!

• Guerrina

The planters are beautiful! I don't yet have space for them, but keeping this on file! What is the name of and brand of your front door color? It is stunning!

• Jamie Hardin

Ok...so on the first picture, I noticed a black "topper" over the wood...what /how was this made???