Repurpose an Old Standing Floor Lamp Into a Plant Stand

I have had these floor lamps for over 15+ years. They have moved with us from house to house and always seemed to find a spot to sit in the living room even though they were never used. Each time they got a new lamp shade to match the new decor, but they were just still sitting there looking sad.

So I took them apart with plans to save the fixture and all the wiring to make new lamps.

The stands just sat there for months. I knew I couldn't just toss them out, but I had no clue what to do with them.

Until a few weeks ago.

It's cold here in Wisconsin now and all the plants that I had outside for the summer had to start being brought in for winter. Yikes....I guess I collect a lot of plants. I had no room for them anymore.

And then it dawned on me to repurpose my floor lamp into a plant stand! This way I could add more height to an area in my room, but I could also get more plants off the floor and off the tables.

Take all the guts out of the stand and set them aside if you too want to make a new lamp. If your stand is ugly, now would be the time to give it a fresh coat of spray paint if you want.

This is what mine looked like with everything taken apart.

I grabbed a cheap pot from the dollar store. I made a hole in mine so that I could shove a little dowel through the top of the pot and into the stand to help secure the pot on the top a little bit more.

My new plant stand! I love it! Especially for my ivy. I can wrap it around the stem of the stand and let it hang down without getting caught on everything on my table.

Get more great DIY's like this one at CrazyDiyMom.com

• Floor lamp
  • Pot
  • Plant

Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

• Kathy.domingue

Where does the water run off after watering the plant?

• Jewellmartin

I know how to keep mine from dripping water. I’m going to use silk/plastic plants. I’m really inspired by this. ☺️

• Diane Bauer Nelson

My question as well.....with the hole in the bottom of the pot....where DOES the water go? I really like the idea....just wondering about the water.

• Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

My plant doesn't get a lot of water at once and I keep it damp, so the water hasn't ever run out. If it concerns you, you could stick a tray inside the pot to catch the water. Or use plants that don't need heavy watering such as succulents. I've had the plant in there for about 6-8 months and have never had water run out.

• Linda

Attach to the lamp, a pot that's bigger than the one your plant is in. Then set the potted plant that has the drip tray attached to it, inside the bigger pot.

• Deanna Llewellyn

You can use an artificial plant as well, then there is no need for watering. Great idea! I think that is what I am going to do with mine.

• Cheryl

Well darn! I just got rid of 2 lamps and I would have loved to do this:( guess I'll have to take a trip to the thrift store lol
    • Jean

leave the lamp tube with nut get large flat washer add rubber or gasket material cut to fit the tube then tighten then take a screw (not a bolt) and take the rubber or gasket material and add a washer with the screw to stop up the lamp tube
    • Patti Neary Langford

I have a short lamp that I can reuse the same way. Thank for the nut/washer/gasket tip!
    • BJ Corley

Why not use glue like with the totems?
    • BJ Corley

I forgot. You need to add small rocks to pot for drainage.
    • Carey

Yes and buy back your lamps! LOL

I have a lamp that I am considering doing this with, however I am considering using it as an outside planter! I too am concerned about water running out of my plant. Or I will use it to create a birdbath base for an idea that I have been considering now for some time.

• Margaret

How did u fasten the pot to the lamp - I too want to make mine into a plant stand.Thanks.

• Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

Hi Margaret! It will depend on your lamp and what parts it has. I found a 4" screw with a large head that fit right down through the top of my pot into the lamp and it holds it in place.

• Jewellmartin

I love when a plan comes together. One of my standing lamps got a short or something and we won't use it. We don't mess with electricity, so we put the lamp in the garage after keeping the six dollar bulb, which works fine. I rescued a pot with a vine in it for two dollars, from the hardware store that had let the vine get white and weak from a lack of sun and too much water. But it's not much better at my house because I can't get the pot to enough sunshine. However, if I blend the lamp, the plant, and another pot I have ready, I have hope that all will be right with the world. I can set the plant where a higher window lets in more light longer. Thank you, and best wishes 😇
    • Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

That sounds like a great plan Jewell! Good luck!
    • Joanie

Super idea!!  I have 2 English ivy hangin' above my sink........I love my plants!