HO HO HO Christmas Decor

$4

For the past week I was busy with trying to tidy up Greg's basement lair (aka his woodshop) which is not easy at all. Believe it or not, we bought four or five huge plastic garbage bins to hold his scrap wood in the past year. But still it doesn't help...they are all overflowing! Of course, it's partly my fault, because I won't let him throw any of the scraps away...I keep telling him I'll use them. But he
ho ho ho christmas decor, christmas decorations, home decor

To make this HO HO HO Christmas decor, I used 3 pieces of scrap wood cut to 7″ by 11″, red and green craft paint, FolkArt’s chalk paint in Sheepskin color, some ribbon and 3 big sleigh bells I bought from Dollar Store. Keep in mind that Dollar Store always runs out of their seasonal decor stock about a month before the season. So if you can’t find the big sleigh bells there, you can try these on Amazon.

As usual I started off with the wood. Let me rephrase that: as usual I started off with Greg. Since he was right in the middle of a tough project, I put on my sweetest smile ever and asked if he could cut some holes in the scrap wood – hey, a girl’s gotta do what she’s gotta do, right? Ok, maybe I got his attention right after telling him how awesome, handsome and winsome of a woodworker he was, but in the end, I got him do that part for me…hehehe :-)

Here is a hint with the wood: I could only find scrap hardwood in Greg’s woodshop. Hence I asked Greg to drill these big holes. But if you use pine or any other soft wood, this step can easily be done with a hand drill.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think?

Simple looking, but they bring holiday cheer wherever you put them.

As usual, some close-up pictures for you.

I love how they look together with my whimsical trees!

Oh, just in case you are wondering, other than the hanging metal bell and the little bird, everything in this scene is DiY. Yes…really! Even those whimsical trees!! Aren’t they awesome?

If you'd like to see more Christmas crafts like this please click on the link below!

Thanks for reading and happy crafting!
Handan, xo

• Scrap wood
  • Paint
Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Carlene Ontiveros

How do you keep them from falling over?

• Carol

Because the slab of wood is flat it will balance rather well. I think I would take two small blocks, say 1x1 and place one about two inches in from each corner and glue them on. Do this part while the main block of wood is standing nice and straight. That should keep it from falling over. I hope this answers your question.

• Deanna Fischer-Fisher

super cute - where did you get the fun christmas trees?

• Talva Keith

This is the best thing I have ever seen on this site and about anywhere!!! The whole scene looks great! Thanks for sharing!! Will you please tell me how to distress? I have tried light sandpaper and fine steel wool, but it looks awful!