Front Porch Welcome Post

This welcome post is such a lovely way decorate for any occasion.
front porch welcome post
This project is pretty easy, but you do need a few power tools to make it. It consists of a 4x4 cedar fence post, a fence post cap, finial, 2x12 pine board, deck post wood trim, and some corner trim for the base. Fortunately we were able to use scraps we had from other projects.
front porch welcome post
We started with prepping the post cap. You need to find center and drill a hole that will allow the finial to screw into the top of the post.
front porch welcome post
Place it on the top of the post and drill through the post a bit to allow the finial to screw in easily.
front porch welcome post
Cut your 2x12 to a 12x12 square for your base. We notched out an edge to receive the trim. You don't have to add trim, but it makes it a little more decorative. You can see the deck post trim piece here. It comes ready to receive your fence post.
front porch welcome post
Here is the complete assembled project. Remember to sand your post and base so it will be a nice smooth surface.
front porch welcome post
We stained the entire post with a dark walnut stain.
front porch welcome post
After the stain is thoroughly dry, we then painted the post with Waverly Cashew chalk paint. Leaving it stained also is beautiful.
front porch welcome post
We then sanded the edges to give it a distressed look.
front porch welcome post
We added a oil rubbed bronze hook to hold different signs for each season. Adding cup hooks at the top and bottom of the back side of the post allows you to add different garland for any season or time of year.
front porch welcome post
For complete instructions check out Under a Texas Sky.
Under a Texas Sky

• Jaye

Love this! Where do you buy your double hooks? I am trying to find some that have a little more character than just the plain ole hooks. Thanks for sharing your instructions and ideas!

• Karen

Bathroom hooks. I have the same hook on my post.

• Laurie Schaalma

Hi,

Can you tell me which kind of trim you used to go around the 2x12? How did you notch out where the base of the 4x4 is? Thank you

• Under a Texas Sky

Laurie, Welcome to Under A Texas Sky. I used panel molding, from Lowes, for the trim around the 2x12. The 4x4 isn't notched into the 2x12 base. It's attached by screwing it onto the base with 5 - long exterior wood screws. I screwed from the bottom, so the screws are hidden. Visit our website for all the pics and the full tutorial on making this post. I show pics of how to attach the post to the base http://underatexassky.com/porch-sign-post

• Momo s

Why stain it dark to then paint it white. I get that the dark shows when you sand..but why not just stain the areas you plan to sand.

• Under a Texas Sky

I feel your pain! We have a steady south wind almost continually! Be sure to make your base nice and wide to help keep it upright. This is such a nice little decor touch for the front porch. It makes a nice impact!

• Patricia

What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing your project.