Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

When is a Pegboard Not an OBVIOUS Pegboard? When You Add Burlap!

$20

I have been wanting to add a pegboard to my laundry room for a while. I have painted pegboards and stenciled them but wanted to try something different. Since I had a large amount of burlap, I thought I would give it a try. It is funny but none of the pictures seem to show the true color blue that this project turned out. The laundry room doesn't have any windows and doesn't get any natural light. It must be because I have to use the overhead light when I take a picture that it looks the way it does. In reality, it is a very pretty dark blue that almost looks like denim. There is one picture below that I think shows the color accurately. It is the one where one jar has been added and I am in the process of adding the second jar.
when is a pegboard not an obvious pegboard when you add burlap , crafts
Here it is in place. It has a faded denim effect to it. I still need to add more tacks around the outer edge to match the bottom.
Since my pegboard had a design fail on it, I needed to paint it first. I wasn't sure how much would show through the burlap. I chose a color close to the burlap fabric. I think it took 3 coats to cover the design.
I cut my burlap large enough to wrap around to the back. Just a side note. For pegboards to work properly, you need to add a small strip of wood around the back perimeter. Basicly, a frame on the back side. I used several 1 by 2 inch pieces of wood. I believe that they are called furring strips. I used craft glue to attach the burlap to the back. I also watered down the glue and covered the entire front with glue to keep all those burlap fibers in place. Not everyone needs to do this but I have a son with allergies and burlap is a trigger. I then decided to try to add an abstract paint effect to the front. I also added some twill ribbon and furniture nails or upholstery tacks. When the time comes to add the pegs, if you have trouble seeing the holes through the burlap to add your pegs. Just place it near a window and the holes will appear. It does take a little force to pop in the pegs. And once the holes are there, they are very noticeable.
So, first it was abstract then plain old brown. Now it is mainly dark blue. I am kind of wondering what color it will be at the end of 2017 and how many colors it will become during 2017. The moral of this story is that you should always try something new and different. You might like it and if you don't, most things can be fixed with a little paint. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
So, it is January 1st, 2017 and I am not going too far into the new year with that beige burlap pegboard in my laundry room. I taped off the twill ribbon and a border that will remain beige.
I really wanted a deep indigo but I decided to use some paint I already had. I might go over this with a deeper color eventually but for now I like it like this.
I still haven't hung it up yet because I am still not 100% sold that this is the look I want. But, I am getting closer. Closer is good...
I still have styling to do but that will slowly happen over time.
My black sock didn't show up against the dark blue so I grabbed one that would show up from the sock bin. Once I took the picture, I immediately thought it looked like I was a Florida Gators fan. Go Gators!
Next, I decided to add some jars to store what I take out of the pockets. In our case, loose change, guitar picks, pens, highlighters and Sharpies. First, I tried some beading wire that I had on hand and when I tightened it, it snapped so jute twine to the rescue.
I did use the wire to make a make-shift needle/flosser to feed the twine through the holes.
First, I punched the holes using a peg hook. After feeding the twine through the hole front to back, I just tied a knot on the back of the pegboard.** This picture was taken in my dining room and it shows the most accurate color blue of this project.**
I am quite pleased with how it turned out and at how functional the jars are on the pegboard.
It is starting to come together ... See the empty space in the top of the crate? I decided that was wasted space. Then inspiration struck.
The perfect size to hold a roll of paper towels. I just added two small pieces of scrap wood and a dowel and it became an instant built-in paper towel holder.
when is a pegboard not an obvious pegboard when you add burlap
Here it is at the end of 2017. I am putting it in my greenhouse.

• Pegboard  (Lowes)
  • Burlap  (Joanns)
  • Paint  (Walmart)

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/petalsandchalk/

• Carolina Teel

Inspiring for sure! I have an old , badly stained pegboard that could use this GENIUS idea. Thank-you!!
    • Stacy Davis

Glad you liked it! I am itching to paint it again! I guess I am constantly trying to make the laundry room more fun!

• Sandra Allen

i love this!! You did a great job and the photos are very helpful.
    • Stacy Davis

Thank you! We just moved and I am getting ready to paint it again. I am torn between something neutral and something bright...