Asked on Nov 12, 2016

Dutch door ideas??

Pauliegirl1LindaDixie
+12

Hello crafters!!! I got this 'dutch door' through an on line auction for $50. It has a little shelf on bottom part of the door...which would be the middle of the door if installed....They did not have the 'size' listed...It is 36"W x 83"H, about 3" too high to replace my front door. It is SOLID, HEAVY, and I believe mahogany!! Of course, it would be tooo heavy for anything 'temporary'...Besides cutting it down to size, any ideas out there??? It is really too heavy for me to move to take pics....so, just imagine a 'two piece door'??? Thanks in advance!!!
  • Johnchip
    Johnchip

Sounds fabulous. So many homes I wish I had that door in. Get someone to cut it down and fit for you and enjoy its uniqueness.

• Judy Mattson
    Judy Mattson

How about attaching it to a wall having the bottom part of the door under a window and the top part open away from the window so it looks like the door is open to the outside, you could put a plant or something on the shelf of the door then.

• Pauliegirl1
    Pauliegirl1

Thanks Judy....all my windows are long, would not work...but a very cute idea!!!

• Joytess
    Joytess

Then there's always the option of making your door frame higher. You can do anything if the price is right! Hope you post pics of your door installed!

• Cme8292235
    Cme8292235

Put it outside for the trash.

• Ginny LaForge
    Ginny LaForge

Use it as an interior door for a room (office, sewing, crafting, etc.) that you don't want little ones to have access to due to hot iron, sharp objects, etc. You can see out, but they can't come running in as you could keep the lower part locked on the inside, yet still know what's going on.
  • We had a Dutch door for the exterior kitchen door of the house I grew up in. It had a window in the upper door. We opened the upper door to let air in while keeping kids and pets from eloping through the door or damaging the screen door. A 36- inch door is unlikely to fit in a residential interior doorway, though it could be very useful there. I would consult a professional door installer about either cutting the door to fit or determining whether the existing rough door opening is actually large enough to install the door with new trimming, jams, etc. Also consider whether the door's shelf would interfere with any screen or storm doors you may have and if so, how to resolve that issue.
  • Pauliegirl1
    Pauliegirl1

Thanks so much!!!
  • Dixie
    Dixie

I have an old friend with a dutch door and have always wished I had one too! Please don't destroy it! Just have it cut down and use it! You'll be glad you did!
  • Pauliegirl1
    Pauliegirl1

Thanks!!
  • Linda
    Linda

Here is a post I wrote on how to turn an old door into a dutch door. I think it will help you with this door you bought. https://lifeonsummerhill.com/diy-exterior-dutch-door/

• Pauliegirl1
    Pauliegirl1

Thank you!!