Fast, Cheap, Effective Garden Bed For Winter Plants!

Everywhere I've lived, even Ohio, winter gardening is possible and working in the garden on pretty winter days is a great relief from the cold, gray wet days! Here's a cheap, fast way to get a manageable sized garden started in just a couple hours.
http://www.caleyskitchengarden.com/2013/11/raised-bed-garden-in-two-hours.html
8ft 2x4s long then one cut in half to make the ends.  Leaves, manure and mulch, all free, turned over into the  soil!
8ft 2x4s long then one cut in half to make the ends. Leaves, manure and mulch, all free, turned over into the soil!
The crossed and zip tied PVC frame in the third bed worked best and was easiest to make.
Arugula, kale, tatsoi and mizuna grow well in cold weather and don't turn into a stinky mush if they freeze.  If it's REALLY cold, try spinach!
Arugula, kale, tatsoi and mizuna grow well in cold weather and don't turn into a stinky mush if they freeze. If it's REALLY cold, try spinach!
Cheap construction plastic from the hardware store decomposes in the sun, but not  before winter is over!
Cheap construction plastic from the hardware store decomposes in the sun, but not before winter is over!

• Therese Ryan-Haas

I am in Northern Ill. I am kicking myself for not seeing this earlier! I would have loved to try this. Don't know how it would handle the below 0 temps. But really heavy snow fall doesn't usually happen till Jan- Feb. Maybe next year. I just had a brain storm. I saw a article where seeds were started outside in the spring with milk jugs cut in half. The tops were put back on as mini green house. Could also do this in fall to give seed early start. That way you have fresh plants to replace old summer plants. Could possibly extend the Northern growing season up to December.

• Tanja Raicic

Odlicna ideja...