Signs of Fall

I was wanting a Fall sign for my gate and I saw my inspiration sign on line. This sign was a bit beyond my skills. I thought the leaf was made of metal but it was actually cut out with a jig saw! (Picture at end of post) Go to www.hertoolbelt.com if you want something professional....stay here for a less challenging version!!!
Every one talks about reusing what you have so I started with an old drawer front from an old vanity (1978) when we remodeled.
signs of fall, crafts
I cut small pieces of wood from the sides of the drawer. Didn't even measure except for how tall and wide so all pieces are different sizes.
signs of fall, crafts
I found a leaf on the ground to use as a template.
signs of fall, crafts
This was not my idea, as I copied someone else using an aluminum can to make signs for their pantry baskets. I thought why not make my leaf with the same technique? Very easy to cut through the can. Trace your leaf on the back as marking pen will show. Use ballpoint pen on back of leaf to draw/press veins. I just looked at the actual leaf and copied mother nature.
signs of fall, crafts
I did a dry run with all my pieces. I gave the drawer front a good cleaning and sanding.
signs of fall, crafts
I ended up painting the drawer front and letters rather than leaving them natural. I used E6000 glue and attached eye screws to hang. So a bit of Fall has been added to my front gate!
signs of fall, crafts
Inspiration sign!
signs of fall, crafts

• Old wood drawer front
  • Spray paint on hand
  • Aluminum can