Christmas Angel

Back in the 1960's my mom made two angels, and last year I wanted to try and recreate them, but never got around to it. This year I decided to rely on the fuzzy picture and my fuzzy memory and make my version of them.
I had a sturdy paper roll that deco mesh came on and a hanger. I cut off the hook, and part of the hanger for arms. I glued it on and let it dry over night.
I cut wings from cardboard, and I used a styrofoam ball for the head. I used wall texture on the head and both sides of the wings to give it a little update from yesteryear.
I used undiluted stay flo starch and thin flour sack kitchen towels, dipping them in the starch and wringing them out before draping them on the stand. I used pins in a few places until it was completely dry and stiff.
After it had dried and was stiff, I spray painted everything white. I used silver metallic paint and a stipple brush to add highlights.
I added cord to the head gluing just the top. I didn't want to glue down the sides, because I still had to glue on the wings and paint the hair with the silver paint. I also wanted to be able to move the hair where I wanted it later.
I glued on the halo, ribbon, and the sign. I spray painted it all with Krylon Glitter Shimmer, shimmering silver, and the sealer. The picture doesn't really show how sparkling it really is. I hope you enjoyed the angel tutorial, and I wish everyone a joyful holiday!

• Judy Simon

where did you get the sign
  • Gbe21851913

How do I get the instructions?
    • Vicki Rogers

The how to here is all I have. I don’t know of any written ones out there.
  • Gloria Bennett Edwardson

Where did you find the hanger? Never seen one like it.
    • Vicki Rogers

I’m not sure what store it came from. It was one I had from buying clothes somewhere, but you can use any hanger. And do any kind of angel your heart desires. Here a pic’s of ones I did this year for relatives. They requested certain kinds of angels.

• LJ

Aaaawww - my mom had a similar gold angel, such good memories! Love it, beautiful, may have to try this.
  • Fai32094488

It's beautiful. I'm not crafty but this seems relatively easy. Thanks for sharing!