Faux Log Fireplace Insert

I always loved the idea of sitting by a fire on a cold winter day, however that's not going to happen anytime soon. Since I’ve been married, we’ve bought two homes and BOTH have had gas fireplaces that didn’t work. Both houses had inspections and both inspectors didn’t catch it…you would think after the first one, I would have checked it myself?!? Our current home has a fireplace that not only doesn’t work, but is drafty. So I think I’ve finally come up with a temporary solution to stop the drafts. (My fingers are crossed!) Either way, it looks cool.
Start by measuring the opening of your fireplace. Then cut a piece of masonite or wood to fit snuggly in the opening. (You can also take this measurement to the hardware store with you and have them cut the piece for you.) If you are using a light colored wood, you will need to paint or stain it a dark color. You want the background dark, so it just looks like a shadow around the wood.
Then start cutting your wood into small disks. I’m not gonna lie-this step took a while because my opening was so large.
Once you have it set the way you want, heat up your glue gun. I think it’s easier to just take one piece off at a time and glue them down individually.
After you have everything glued down just pop the insert into your fireplace and you’re done.
You can find more detailed directions and tips by going to my original post.

• Scrap masonite  (tape measure)
  • Hot glue gun  (logs)
  • Chop or miter saw

Unexpected Elegance

• Kimberley Mouser

Could you apply a clear resin over it to seal it and keep it all together insteaf of gluing each individual piece?

• Barbara

Wouldn't that look too shiny? Unless it's available in flat...

• Linda Cork

Where did you get the logs, and how thick were the slices that you glued to the board? This is a really cute project and I am looking forward to having something attractive to keep my white cats out of the house fireplace! They look like Dalmatians after they've gone exploring. LOL
    • Unexpected Elegance

Linda, I'm so sorry I missed your comment! I got the log at grocery store around Christmas, but you could use any type of log. Each piece is about 1/2" wide.
  • Lorie Niquette Francar

Love this idea! How did you get the finished board to stay put? I've got an opening next to the fireplace to stack wood that I'd like to do this to now that we're getting a gas log insert. I'm afraid it'll either fall back into the opening or forward onto the hearth & then the floor.

• Unexpected Elegance

Mine fits snug and stays on it's own. You could always use something, like a shim, to wedge in between and give it a tighter fit. If you do that I would add something behind it to fill in the gap if you are trying to get rid of a draft. 😊

• Vicki Hosman

This is a brilliant idea! Thank you for sharing!

• Joan Stanley

You could find a picture that fits the opening. Cut black foam board to seal the opening tight and then simply tilt the picture over the opening. That has been working at my house for 30 years. Pic can be changed out with the seasons.