Yarn Ball Ornament Tree

$20

Calling all knitters! This project is for you.... and for everyone else too ;)! There are a million materials you can create a Christmas tree out of so why not some wound balls of yarn? You can create this yarn ball tree out of some spare yarn, ornaments, and chicken wire!
SUPPLIES: -Various colors of yarn (or various shades of green) -Wire Cutters -Hot Glue -Ornaments in various sizes (I used 5 tubes of medium sized ornaments from Dollar Tree and 4 tubes of small sized ornaments) -Chicken Wire -Scissors -String of Battery Powered Lights (optional... not pictured above)
STEP 1: Use hot glue to attach the yarn to the ornaments. To start off you can wrap 4-5 strands of yarn in one direction glueing as you go.
STEP 2: Change directions several times to give the illusion of a ball of yarn. Make as many balls of yarn as needed for the size tree you are trying to cover.
STEP 3: Once you have prepared the balls of yarn it is time to create the base of the tree for them to be attached to. Take some chicken wire and cut an even square out of it.
STEP 4: From one of the corners of the chicken wire square use a yard stick and move it as a compass to measure an even length in each direction from the corner. Cut out the bottom into an arc shape. The 24" lines are just an example of a size you can create. You can alter how large your tree will be. The end shape will result in a triangular corner with a rounded arc shaped base.
STEP 5: Once you have your cut shape it is time to roll it into a cylinder and bend the open cut wires around one another to hold the shape in place. On the bottom of the tree fold under the sharp wires so they don't poke out.
STEP 6: Your chicken wire should now be a full cylinder (tree shape). Now all you have to do is simply hot glue the balls of yarn onto the tree in a sporadic manner.
I added a string of battery powered lights to give it a little extra charm. These balls of yarn did take quite a bit of time, but my husband helped me out and we just watched a movie or two while we wrapped them up!
What a fun little whimsical tree!
This fella looks just fine without the lights too! It kinda makes me think of a croquembouche hehe.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Abn28842844

Looks good, but how do you keep the cats away?
    • Mary McDonald

Citronella works great! I have a SPRAY COLLAR that shoots out citronella when my little shih tsu barks. She’s older and wiser now and we only have to show her the ‘collar’ and she shuts right up.

PS. A ‘shock’ collar will kill a small animal.

• Nicki Petruzzella Kerns

Can you imagine a tree topper made out of short knitting needles or crochet hooks? :-)

• Judith

Why did you use ornaments? Since you covered them can’t you use styrofoam balls instead?

• Mary McDonald

Sure, why the heck not? There’s no right way to do this. They were extra ornaments so she used them. Christmas balls are literally a dollar a dozen at dollar stores. Foam balls? Definitely something I personally would save for a different diy. Leftover plastic ornaments are cheaper by far. I love what Amanda did!😊