Paula Tisch
Paula Tisch
  • Huntsville, AL

DIY Holiday Pillows From Dish Towels

$12

This time of year we are all searching for new and fun holiday decor. How about some super easy DIY holiday pillow covers you can make from dishclothes?
Last year I found these adorable dish towels and thought to myself, "These would be perfect for a throw pillow." Of course I bought them right away and they sat in the Me Room until last week. Wait till you see what I've done with them!
diy holiday pillows from dish towels, bathroom ideas
I started with these great dish towels. I just love the pattern and they are so festive for fall and Christmas. They cost me a whopping $7.99 for two and Homegoods! Woo hoo! :)
The best thing about these towels is the fact that they are the perfect size to make a cover for a 12" x 16" throw pillow. And you can buy that exact size of pillow form almost anywhere!
I just layed the pillow form on top of the towel and eyed this cut. You should allow about an inch for your side seams as I like to do a 1/2 inch seam for my pillows. That means my pillow cover should be cut at 17 inches.
On one side of the pillow your edges will overlap, like an envelope. Because this is a towel, this edge is already finished for you! Brilliant, right?
Since we will be folding our dish towel to make this pillow cover we do not need to account for a seam lengthwise.
Pin each side of the cloth for easier sewing. I like to use these giant upholstery pins because I can see them better :) Hey, I'm 50. I've learned a few tricks by now!
Making sure to not run over these pins (because they are so big here), sew a 1/2 seam on either side of your pillow cover.
I always trim the corners of pillow covers. It just gives you a much cleaner look after they are turned right-side out.
Turn out your new cover and stuff with pillow form.
You could stop here if you like, but it is kind of boring. Personally, I'm thinking a bit of embellishment is in order! Check out the blog post to see the finishing touches!

• Dish Towels  (HomeGoods)
  • Pillow Form  (Hobby Lobby)
Paula Tisch