DIY Kids Clothing Rack

$15

We are doing a lot of little projects this week to lift our spirits & I’ve really wanted to build this DIY Kids Clothing Rack for some time and guys, literally, it took 30 minutes. So easy, anyone can make this.
diy kids clothing rack
Here’s our shop list:
Two – 1x3x8
One – 1 1/4″ x 4′ Wooden Dowel
Two – 3/4″ x 4′ Wooden Dowel
1 1/4″ Spade Bit
3/4″ Spade Bit
Wood Glue
2 Screws
We had everything on this list except for the dowels, so this project literally cost us under 8 bucks. When they’re going for 125+ on Etsy & crazy shipping costs, I’d say we hit the lotto!
Before you start, you want to give a good sand. We are pretty cheap, and buy knotty pine, but you can purchase maple 1×3’s and it would need little sanding.
diy kids clothing rack
The Cut List:
Legs: 44″ 15 Degree Cut Angle For Foot
Top Dowel: 28″
Bottom Dowels: 26 1/4″
You do not need to angle the feet, but we found it made the rack look more finished. See how easy this is?
diy kids clothing rack
Glen started off but screwing the two legs exactly to where he wanted them to sit prior to drilling the whole into the top for the dowel. This makes your job SO much easier, and it actually adds a bit of stability to the rack once it’s complete.
diy kids clothing rack
Time to drill a 1 1/4″ Hole on both sides on the top. You want to make sure you use a newer drill as a lot of the older drills do not have safety precautions on them and can rip your wrist up.
diy kids clothing rack
Here is how the clothing rack will look without the bottom dowels in. If you’re really not handy, you can leave it just like this, but if your kids are anything like mine, we need the extra stability! Glen marked each leg at 1″ off the ground. Also keep in mind, he didn’t drill all the way through as the poles are 26 1/4, so will fit snuggly in place.
diy kids clothing rack
Fit your dowels into place and you’re DONE. So easy, right?
diy kids clothing rack
I added a little flair to the tops of my clothing rack and painted them. You can use painters tape to give you a straight edge line.
diy kids clothing rack
diy kids clothing rack
diy kids clothing rack
diy kids clothing rack
diy kids clothing rack
Isn’t it so adorable? I kind of want a grown up one for my dresses. I highly doubt Glen would allow that in his bedroom.
This project literally takes minutes and it’s such a fun way to store your girls dresses. Don’t have a little girl? Hang your boys costumes on this rack! Endless possibilities.
Make sure to pin this project on Pinterest & tag me in your finished clothing racks.

• Pine
  • Dowels
Jessica-Sara Morris

• C Crow

Precious little lady and such a nice project she can easily access. Would love to have the giant safety pin in background for my sewing area. Can you tell us where you found it? Thank you so much!

• Treasuredchaos.com

This would be perfect for my daughter's dress up clothes! Thanks!

• Janelle

Our girls are a bit older and taller so we made our clothing rack bigger than yours. They love it. Thanks for the inspiration!