Mary Insana
Mary Insana
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Sock Snowman

I didn't make this yet but a friend did. I hope the directions are easy to follow. But then again we're Hometalkers, we can figure it out LOL !

This would be so cute to make a family of "snow people", one for every family member.
I would hot glue thin twigs as arms and then glue little rectangle cut from brown cardboard and put their name on it. How cute would a family of snowmen look on a mantel ?
Also a nice easy gift for co-workers, neighbors or an older friend that has a hard time decorating for the holidays. Also easy craft to do with the little ones. And please if giving it to a child make it child friendly and safe.

You'll need a pair of old socks that are crew length, or longer, rice, rubber bands, buttons, pins with ball heads or small beads for eyes and nose and any left over fabric if you want for a scarf.

First, cut off the top of the sock from the foot.
Turn the sock inside out and attach a rubber band tightly to the top of the sock.
Then turn the sock right-side out again.
Fill the sock with rice. Make sure to pack it down as you go so the sock gets a nice round base. Rubber band the top of the sock closed and put another rubber band 3/4 of the way to the top for the head of your snowman.

Now, decorate! Tie a scarf around your snowman's neck and add eyes, nose, and buttons. Use the toe of your cut socks to fashion a stocking cap.
Or you could use colored argyle socks to create hats and sweaters for your snowman.
You can either sew or glue on your buttons, and add embellishments - twine, bows, ribbons, etc - as needed. This is such a quick and easy craft - 10 minutes tops

I know all us Hometalkers will change things up and put our creative twists to this basic pattern.
sock snowman, crafts, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
This is another version. I like this one because you can use family members old socks for the "coat". They will know which one is theirs.