Update Those Boring Posts Outside Your Home!

A few weeks ago I posted on Hometalk how I added curb appeal to our brick on the outside of our home: http://www.hometalk.com/23890303/add-curb-appeal-with-german-mortar-smear- and I will say this, I get excited every time I pull into the driveway and I feel proud of the change I made to our home.
Okay, now check out that darn post! Yup, that nasty boy needed an update also. I will tell you this...seriously...this was the easiest part of my project. Truthfully, I did this project within a couple of hours.
I measured the size of boards I needed and went to Home Depot to pick up some cedar boards (to match the lamp post in the front of the house-that's another story).
My sweet hubster bought me an anniversary present back in September-a table saw (you would have thought he gave me a trip to a tropical island, I was so excited) that I was able to use for the first time. I needed to rip down two of the boards to fit the front and back of the post.
After staining the boards with my favorite, Minwax Gel Stain in Walnut color, and sealing with Spar Urethane by Varathane, I got out the nail gun and attached the boards to the old post.
With the pieces of wood that were left over, and of course I couldn't let them go to waste, I was able to add to the top and bottom a little extra detail. I got out the nail gun and boom, done! I love my nail gun, every girl should have one!
The outdated light in the back round, yup, that will be replaced at a later date. I actually spent over $300.00 on all new lights and ended up returning them. I spray painted all the lights with paint that I had on hand and went from dull, faded brown to black lights. The DIY'er that I am, I didn't want to spend the money and felt pretty good with just painting them.
Ignore the way the post overhangs on the planter, at some point that will be addressed, but for right now, I love my new post and the craftsman look that it adds to the entrance of our home.
All in all, this project only cost me around $30.00 and it would have been less had I gone with a less expensive type of wood. For the money, and how easy this was, I couldn't be happier.

• Lsh9045522

what color is the stain

• MM

Did you even need that post there in the first place? Looks as though there may have been a row of them at one time. Not trying to offend, just curious, but I wouldn't think one wooden trowel is holding up your porch overhang. Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance! I do love the improvement though!

• No problem - and thank you for the question....When we bought the home, 33 years ago it had a black, wrought iron thing there. We replaced it with the wooden post. I couldn't tell you if it really is doing anything other than being decorative, I kind of doubt it is holding up the overhang.

• Charlotte Cantrell

I would think if you live anywhere that you get snow, that the post helps to keep the overhang up there. Just a thought. Snow can get VERY heavy.

• Marcia Huffman

Do you think this would work to cover my iron porch post?

• Yes, I think you could do it but you would have to figure out a way to stabilize/secure the wood so it doesn't move. With mine, I could fasten it right to the wood post but with the iron, I don't know what you have to attach it to. I hope that helps.

• Rhonda S

To follow up on Elizabeth' answer- build two boxes to attach to the ceiling and floor with nails or screws, then screw the face boards to the box. I had an oddly placed wrought iron post from the late 50s on my front porch when I moved in. It was in sad shape, so I took it out, thinking I would install a column, but it was purely decorative, and I left it out completely. If I had replaced it, that was my plan.

• Nancy Henry

I covered the wrought iron posts on my Craftsman cottage with 2×12's and added a couple extras since the roof was sagging a bit. Used a car jack on an upturned 4x4 to raise it. Love the look now!

• Rod

You can attach wood to the post, there's all kinds of fasteners that will do the job...

• Eroque022810

If the porch can be nailed into and I mean top and bottom to secure it then why not? She did not do mitered corners I would if I were you, then since there is no way to secure it I would secure it to top and bottom of whatever it's on. That's why I asked that first. Good luck.

• Linda Cooper-Smith

I liked the wood stain on the new post. Maybe add a trellis stained the same color, and plant some crawling rose bushes? Or morning glories? That would add color and beauty.