Take a Seat

$15

A few months ago we were cleaning up the garage and found a bunch of things we had forgotten about (out of sight, out of mind!). You already saw the Phoenix sewing machine base makeover we did. Here's what else we found:
take a seat
This was an old drafting chair that belonged to my uncle. I always intended to fix it up for my craft room reveal. I was thinking it might look great with a new leather seat painted with my Birdz of a Feather logo and I even posted a question on Hometalk for advice on how to do that (you guys are great!).
take a seat
Once my craft studio started coming together though, I went in a different direction. First Hubs sanded away years of rust and gave it a new coat of paint. Here it is looking like it's break dancing!
take a seat
We added some new floor protectors onto the bottom to keep the metal from scraping the new hardwood floors. A hex nut holds them on from underneath.
take a seat
I took the vinyl plastic off the seat cushion. The foam was still in good shape so I added some batting on top of it to soften the edges before the final upholstery.
take a seat
Batting is easy to add and is an extra step you shouldn't miss when you're reupholstering. That's because it smooths down the edges of the foam underneath the final fabric so you don't see any lumps and bumps showing through.

I put the seat, face down right onto the batting and cut around it leaving a good amount of extra to wrap around.
take a seat
I used a staple gun with a compressor to staple the batting all around the perimeter. Start at one end and then add a staple on the opposite side to keep it even. Then do the same on the right and left side.

Fill in each quadrant with staples, going back and forth between opposite sides until complete.
take a seat
Trim off the excess batting.
take a seat
Nice and smooth!
take a seat
Here it is, ready for the final fabric:
take a seat
Follow the same steps described with the batting above to upholster the seat with your chosen fabric. If your fabric has a nap you might want to make note of where the holes are on the bottom, where the seat is fastened on, and make sure your fabric is fitted onto the seat in the direction your prefer.

Make sure you don't cover up the holes as you're stapling the fabric on. You can trim the fabric close to the staples to clean it up (I was so excited to see how the seat looks, that I forgot to trim it)! If you like, you can also cut a piece of plain cloth to staple on as a dust cover (I didn't do that either).
take a seat
Once you're all done, screw the seat onto the base taking care to use screws that are long enough to hold it securely, but not so long that they'll come out the front and ruin your new upholstery!
take a seat
Here is the final reveal. Although it will be used with my cutting table, I photographed it by my desk area - which is much prettier to look at! Far more than the way it looks in my craft studio, every time I use it I'll have fond memories of my uncle. It's a special piece and I'm happy I was able to breathe new life into it.

When you're looking for inspiration on colour choices for the metal and upholstery, keep in mind where you'll be using it. I love how the 'new' drafting chair compliments the colours in the carpet.
take a seat
I restrained myself from using my logo for the seat of this chair and I'm so happy with the outcome. However, I DID use my logo to upcycle a clock as you can see below:
take a seat
I'll also eventually add my logo to the glass doors of the IKEA storage cabinets we built for my craft studio:
take a seat
Head to our website to search for more info on the clock upcycle and IKEA cabinet build in my craft studio (link at the end of this post). It's fun to be at the point where I'm just putting finishing touches on the craft studio!

If this project has inspired you, please pin and share. I'll have two more chair makeovers coming soon.

Follow our blog here on Hometalk or our website Birdz of a Feather (link below this post where you see our logo) to see those projects and more! You can also follow us on:

Pinterest: http://bit.ly/BirdzPIN
Facebook: http://bit.ly/BirdzFB
YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT
Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG

• Spray paint  (Paint store)
  • Ultrasuede  (Fabric store)
Birdz of a Feather

• Carolyn from NH

Your stool is just fabulous. Very nice job. I love the clock too.

If you painted the hour hand white so that when it is in the black part of the clock the hour hand would stand out?

Maybe it’s just my ole 👁. 🤣

• Birdz of a Feather

Thanks! I think painting the hour hand white would be a catch 22; it wouldn't show up when it's in the white section :)

• Carolyn from NH

Of course your correct 😳. What was I thinking 🤔