What to do with this mirrored wall

+94
The wall in my dining room has three mirror panels (floor to ceiling). It's a bit much! Other than removing them as they are probably glued in, what can I do to cover them up?
q what to do with this mirrored wall, home improvement
  • Jackie Byrd Jackie Byrd on Nov 16, 2016
    A wainscot on the bottom half. Stenciling on the glass. Painting a mural on the glass. Frosting a pattern or scene on it. Putting crown molding around it to turn it into a big frame. Hang drapes from the ceiling so you can open and close them as needed. Need more ideas?
  • William William on Nov 16, 2016
    Jackie Byrd got it covered! I was going to suggest stenciling with frost paint to soften it up and hanging curtains from the ceiling. I like the idea of wainscoting. You could use molding/wood and make it look like a mirrored library wall.
  • Stu7929742 Stu7929742 on Nov 16, 2016
    hang a large picture for the top and then a half round table under with a lovely arrangement of flowers or a tray of ????
  • William William on Nov 16, 2016
    You can mount curtain rod brackets on the ceiling close to the mirrors. Insert a curtain rod and hang the curtains from the rod using hooks, rings, etc.
  • Z Demiral Z Demiral on Nov 16, 2016
    It looks like you might be able to use a Heavy-Duty Closet Rod Flange Set that would go into the walls on either side of the mirrored wall. The heavy-duty set (example is available on HomeDepot.com) has a weight capacity of 500 lbs (when installed into studs) so you wouldn't need to worry about the weight of the curtain type you would like to use. Otherwise, you could secure a piece of wood trim at the top of the mirrored using construction adhesive and secure a light weight curtain (like sheers) using decorative tacks into the wood trim (number of examples available on Amazon.com). You could also secure the bottoms using the same method to avoid movement of the curtains. Good luck!
  • Stu7929742 Stu7929742 on Nov 16, 2016
    sorry I had just enough room at the top of the mirrored wall in the dining room to insert a small hanger on both sides and a use fine line to drop the picture down a couple of feet, so it looked like it was floating.. hope you find a resolution
  • Carolyn Carolyn on Nov 16, 2016
    I have same issue and I plan to cover it with a rice paper film product like this http://www.homedecorators.com/detail.php?pare...
  • Nancy Merrell Nancy Merrell on Nov 16, 2016
    Wallpaper it just get an adhesive that works on glass!
  • Nancy Flemming Nancy Flemming on Nov 17, 2016
    Window film, they have many different patterns on amazon.
  • Bunny Bunny on Nov 17, 2016
    I'd hang a semi-sheer printed fabric...lacy-like...from ceiling-to-floor.
  • Jcraw Jcraw on Nov 17, 2016
    There is a product, Slim Line Rail ($21 + cables) that you attach to your ceiling that will let you hang pictures. You obviously like artwork. A great empty frame above your buffet would be fun. Then whatever else suits your eye. Art would minimize the impact of the mirrors but keep the sense of light and space. It's a lazy alternative to the film, or an addition since it's a nice large wall which would still be a large blank space since you can't hang on mirror.
  • Donna Donna on Nov 17, 2016
    And, remember it WILL come back in style LOL:)
  • Sharon Tircuit Franklin Sharon Tircuit Franklin on Nov 17, 2016
    Frame it out in 3' or 4' squares so it looks like many smaller mirrors
  • Liz Liz on Nov 17, 2016
    When I had a wall like yours I used suction cup hooks to hang a gallery art wall. If you're worried about hooks letting go or sliding, glue them on. A razor blade will remove the glue when needed.
  • Deborah Shaw Deborah Shaw on Nov 17, 2016
    Get a jug of Sta-Flo starch, mix per directions, spray on fabric of choice (lightweight) and place on mirror. Make a design or go solid with the fabric. Very easy to remove. btw, Donna Tulsa, Ok is right. It will be back in style:)
  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Nov 17, 2016
    Helps to exapnd your space. You could try to wallpaper or use contact paper for a feature wall.
  • Elaine Elaine on Nov 17, 2016
    I love it the way it is! If you hate it that much, however, how about installing a track on the ceiling as tight as possible to the mirrors and hang nice material, then it will look like wall to wall drapery. Whatever you do, don't do something that isn't easily removed in case you ever list the house as many people love mirrored walls.
  • Bdt3380977 Bdt3380977 on Nov 17, 2016
    I grew to hate my mirrored wall too and I hung sheer drapes floor to ceiling to cover. It was always a wall that was wonderful for taking pictures of family in front of.....no distractions and the mirror behind the drape gave a nice background that was light and 'warm'.
    • Bdt3380977 Bdt3380977 on Nov 18, 2016
      The hanging of the sheer drapes was from the ceiling in my instance with pipe hangers (black..but could be painted) and 1/2" copper pipe. The pipe never showed. I also had an angle that I had to go around (with a 45* joiner) . I put a pocket in the back of the drapes and they looked like they were perfectly mounted drapes on a window , ceiling to floor. They didn't need any lining, they were just 'light' drapes on a window, letting in brightness. They hung very solidly for many years, even with little children playing behind them all the time. They were in a passageway/living area. Totally finger marked mirrors for the daycare kids , but drop the curtains at end of day and a fresh and tidy wall!
  • Chr14547843 Chr14547843 on Nov 17, 2016
    Use a good quality adhesive to attatch fretwork panneling
  • Virginia Prestridge Virginia Prestridge on Nov 17, 2016
    GET SOME STICK ON STENCILS AND DECORATE WITH THE SEASONS
  • Charly Charly on Nov 17, 2016
    I would etch some designs on the mirrors with a mirror etching kit.
  • Cb.8378013 Cb.8378013 on Nov 18, 2016
    I have a mirror just like this on my wall . You might consider putting some wood the lengths of the mirrors where the seams are to break things up a bit. I also put a contemporary chandelier up over my table and instead of reflecting all of my stuff in the room it reflects the light. I love it!
  • BiBi Bouwman BiBi Bouwman on Nov 18, 2016
    Consider framing the various parts of the mirror by glueing a frame on top on the fixed mirror panels.
  • JS MysMan JS MysMan on Nov 18, 2016
    I would hang ceiling to floor, wall to wall curtains. Your dining room has a lovely luxury feel with the leather chairs and wooden cabinet so you could pick that up and emphasise it will a raw silk in the colour "old gold".
  • LibraryKAT LibraryKAT on Nov 18, 2016
    If this was my house, I'd remove the mirrors. That's a big project, but worth it in the end. There are several videos on youtube that show you how. Just search 'remove glued mirror from wall'.
  • Elizabeth Haire Elizabeth Haire on Nov 18, 2016
    Similar to Papoose03 reply, I would stencil in a color you like or a metallic paint. If, or when, you get tired if it, paint can be removed from the mirror s.
  • Misty Misty on Nov 18, 2016
    I'm curious. Have you considered using Liquid Nail to hold pallet boards for a country feel to match your decor? Or perhaps the self-stick Vinyl flooring? With the pallets, you could use brads to hold up any future pictures you wished to display. As for the the vinyl, I'd use command strips. Just a thought...
  • Ely2512234 Ely2512234 on Nov 18, 2016
    Wallpaper over them.
  • Martha Bliss Martha Bliss on Nov 18, 2016
    Love the previous ideas to hang curtain/drapes or wallpaper. Patterned sheers or or silver patterned paper would keep the room bright and open feeling.
  • Sherrie Koehler Miller Sherrie Koehler Miller on Nov 18, 2016
    Instead of the buffet, which does not match your other furniture in style, place simple freestanding tall shelving along the wall. This will give you storage and reduce the impact of the mirrors. Another option is panel curtains which hang from a track in the ceiling, from Ikea- http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/...
  • Springs775 Springs775 on Nov 18, 2016
    Put a design on the mirrors and then sand over them, (like the auto shops do) this will give a frosty look, when you take your stencil down it will still be a clear mirror in only those places. I did that to my front doors.
  • Mar14202462 Mar14202462 on Nov 18, 2016
    I have a similar look in my dinning room by design ,I didn't inherit with the house,I suggest you embrace it by taking some molding and liquid nails made for glass and do a check board pattern for expensive look.
  • 1240839 1240839 on Nov 18, 2016
    According to the principals of Feng Shui, mirror reflecting the dining table increases bounty, but that's a lot of mirror going on!
  • Eseaters Eseaters on Nov 18, 2016
    I've read a couple of suggestions but what about framing them? You could purchase baseboard wood ( which is actually a blend of "types" of wood) and frame them. There are several types of molding to choose from and you could look up what small thin molding would go with wider molding and so on. A friend of mine used several different sizes of molding to get the effect she wanted and I would go further and suggest even molding the inside of the mirrors too...a double molding. You could actually put a beautiful wallpaper as a border or as a focal point in the center. Do you have any beautiful material that you may not have enough to do all of them but you could do the centers of each? I think framing them in would be economical and quite lovely. You could stain the wood or paint the wood. Limitless ideas. I hope that helps or at least brings to you're mind other ideas that will help you create something you love! Take care and happy ideas to you!
  • Dana Dana on Nov 19, 2016
    How about wall paper, Just an idea.. or that tacky paper. Leave strips of the glass showing? Then take strips of moulding and frame them.
  • Adrienne Pyke Adrienne Pyke on Nov 19, 2016
    i love it..... all that space reflected....... a bit of frosting might be nice but don't over do it...... but i wish i had it..
  • Andrea Andrea on Nov 19, 2016
    What about Putting up curtains
  • Wyldecent Wyldecent on Nov 19, 2016
    Build a wall of open shelves over them -- the mirrors become the back of the shelves.
  • Roxanne Scott Roxanne Scott on Nov 19, 2016
    Perhaps some stick on designs? I've seen them in Wal-Mart... Trees and leaves.... easy and removable. Change them with the seasons.
  • Lei13497862 Lei13497862 on Nov 19, 2016
    I think I would remove them. They seem very dated.