Stop Your Cabinets From Banging

$.05

Don't you hate it when your kitchen cabinet doors slam shut? I can't stand that loud sound. Since my cabinet dampers (the little rubber circles that stop your cabinet from slamming) just fell off for the hundredth time, I decided to make my own. Using two simple household objects, I made my own dampers that I know will stay in place.
A cabinet without dampers can really make a large amount of noise, even when you try to close it gently.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
All I used for this project was hot glue and fun colored duct tape. I picked purple, because it's my daughter's favorite color. You can use the regular silver duct tape, but I like any excuse to add vibrant colors to my home.
Step 2: Place Tape on Cabinet Corner
I put a small rectangular piece of duct tape on the bottom outmost corner of each cabinet door, facing the inside of the cabinet. If you're not sure which corner to tape, it's the bottom corner on the side that doesn't have hinges. Putting down duct tape keeps the hot glue from falling off, but it also protects your cabinets from damage when the hot glue goes on.
Step 3: Add Hot Glue
I added a circle of glue the bottom corner of the tape. It’s important that the glue will hit the frame of the cabinet. If you close your door and see that you haven't placed the glue low enough, you can just make another circle (but make sure the glue is DRY before you do that, or you'll have a hard time opening up your cabinet).
Hot glue dries very quickly, so after two minutes you can definitely test it out.
Now my cabinets close without a bang. The glue softens the impact and protects my cabinet frame. Easy peasy.

• Duct tape  (Lowes)
  • Hot Glue  (Micheals)

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now

• Maggie
    Maggie

Do you have to use duct tape

• Irene
    Irene

Wouldn't super-gluing the dampers to the door as they were do the same thing?

• John
      John

Superglue is too thin and won't clump links hot wax

• Kathy Odell
      Kathy Odell

I think the question was about superglue to hold Original dampers in place.

• Paul Smith
      Paul Smith

Why not just blob hot glue to the door? Use low temp glue and if you want to remove, just heat with a hair dryer or a heat gun on low!

• Paul Smith
      Paul Smith

As far as the store bought bumpers, make them stick better by wiping the spot with alcohol on a cotton ball, let dry before sticking it on.

• Janet B
      Janet B

👍🏼

• Shawna Bailey
      Shawna Bailey

They wouldn't stay up.

• San9879891
    San9879891

Why didn't this person just go buy those little rubber stops at Home Depot? They would have cost less than the tape or the glue gun & glue????

• Nancy
      Nancy

Cause she already had the stuff she needed

• Beth
      Beth

She said those kept falling off. I might have hot glued them back on. I'm having trouble with chair legs scratching and can't find anything the right size. Maybe I'll make my own.

• Maria
      Maria

This is a great idea! We already opened a pack of the sticky stops, I could have used hot glue

• Amy
      Amy

If you put drop of super glue on the silicone dot before putting them on the cabinet door, they will not go anywhere. To remove them, just slide a razor blade between the wood and dot and they come right off.

• Esther
      Esther

I realize she had the purple duct tape, but really why not get a roll of wood grain pattern duct tape to match the cabinets. I also agree with Amy to hot glue the little rubber bumpers to the door & they won't move.

• Susan Snyder
      Susan Snyder

She got purple because it's her daughter's fav. color & she also said she will use any excuse to add vibrant color to the home. I'm with you about gluing the dots. I've done that myself!

• Shawna Bailey
      Shawna Bailey

Thanks, it actually cost mush less to use the tape and hot glue then the sticky dots.

• Melonnie Johnson
      Melonnie Johnson

...maybe it was just one banged door too many and she had the solution on hand. I thought it was clever AND she didn't have to run out to the store.

• Jeanne Martin
      Jeanne Martin

Maybe because this is a DIY site. Do it yourself.

• J.b. kelly
      J.b. kelly

Aww ,you are all so smart.

• Chel
    Chel

I like the measuring cup idea hanging inside the cabinet door! How did you do that?

• Shawna Bailey
      Shawna Bailey

Thanks! It's just cheap sticky hooks, the type that come 4 for a dollar at the dollar tree, stuck on the door. I just made sure to place them so that the cups would hit just under the shelf, so the door would close. I didn't feel the need to use better sticky hooks because 1 measuring cup is so light.

• Melonnie Johnson
      Melonnie Johnson

I did the same thing using Command easy-off hooks for my measuring cups and my measuring spoons. Love having them so handy.

• Mocha
      Mocha

I have a set of vintage tupperware measuring cups that have a matching rack. Also bought another set on ebay. Love these and the way you can mount them where ever you need to!!!