Mini Upcycled Greenhouses

$0
1 Minute

As the weather gets colder, we have to start worrying not only about your outside plants (which this hack is also good for) but also about our indoor plants, which may not get as much sun or warmth than they need to flourish. Making a simple mini greenhouse out of empty plastic bottles is a great and free way to give your plants a boost.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
All you basically need is an empty water bottle and a knife. You can also add sparkly stickers or other decorative items, if you want.
Step 2: Cut the Bottle
I cut my bottle in half a little less than half way. I took into consideration how tall my plant would be and how much dirt it would need when deciding where to cut the bottle.
If you are turning an existing pot into a greenhouse, then measure the top of the bottle and make sure it is tall enough for your entire plant. You can discard the bottom part, or you can use it and then plant that in your pot. It's your decision. With this plant I specifically put in the bottom of the bottle, but with my other plants I just took the top of the bottle and placed that over the plant.
Step 3: Put in Your Plant
I added about two inches of dirt to cover up the bottom.
Then I moved my young plant inside. This is my daughter's pea plant that she brought home from kindergarten a few weeks ago. It's definitely ready for a replant, so this was perfect for it.
I added tape on one side, so that I can open the greenhouse and pick any peas that grow.
Step 4: Decorate (optional)
I used sparkly letters to dress up my greenhouses, and so I don't mix up any plants.
Look how cute they are! These create the perfect greenhouses to make sure they grow and flourish in the winter.
Also, you can add water without lifting up the greenhouse. Which also means if you want you can tape the top totally on. Remember that greenhouse plants need less water.

• Empty Plastic Bottle
  • Cello tape
  • Knife

• Dee Staser

I don't have empty bottles and no way to get them.

• Shawna Bailey

for mini plants you can use an old plastic cup.

• Joyce

Check with any friend or neighbor who have kids. Ask them to save their bottles for you before they put them in recycle bin.
    • Rosemary

If your pride does not get in the way, you can pick them out of a bin on garbage/recycling day. You are sure to find some on top so no need to dig.
  • Linda Abate

What a great way to repurpose plastic bottles. I love your idea of making a mini green house for starting plants. Do you make holes in the bottom for drainage? Love your idea.

• Mzb21076843

absolutely!

• Theresa Crossley Swift

I will try this for starter seeds for my vegetable plants this spring get them ready for planting. Ive tried to do starters in the trays but the squirrels around my way think that its for them to eat. And i f i put them indoors they cant eat them 🙂 and it will cut cost of buying my plants.

Thanks for this great idea