Paper Straw Christmas Tree Ornaments

Use paper straws and beads to create these easy and fun Christmas ornaments. They take only a few minutes to put together and one package of straws will create several ornaments.
I can't take credit for the idea. I saw this project done by The Make and Do Crew Blog last year and I loved them. You can see the original post here: http://makeanddocrew.com/diy-christmas-ornament-paper-straws/
You will need a package of paper straws. I used two different packages that I picked up at Walmart in the party section. I had the wooden beads and jewelry beads on hand. You will also need embroidery floss, a needle, a ruler, a pencil, a paint brush and a pair of scissors.
Using a ruler, I cut 2 straws at a 4″ length. This would be the bottom straw on the ornament. Each additional layer was shortened in length by 1/2″ until I had 2 straws each of 8 different lengths.
Use the pencil to mark where to cut the straws. After cutting the straws to the lengths needed, use the paint brush to retain the shape of the straw. You can see in the below picture, when to cut the straws, they tend to lose their round shape. The paint brush is perfect to use to regain the rounded shape after cutting.
Use an un-threaded needle to punch a hole through the middle of each straw. Do this before retaining the circular shape of the straw because pushing the needle through will also flatten the straws somewhat.
Thread the needle with the embroidery floss. Tie a knot at the end. String a few wooden beads first. This will become the trunk of the tree. Next thread the straws starting with the largest and ending with the smallest. Between each straw, thread a jewelry bead to separate each straw.
Be sure to leave enough floss at the top to make a loop for hanging. On mine, I failed to do that step, so I had to add a separate loop for a hanger using a silver bread tie that I happened to have.
I made these in July, so I hung them from the tee in my yard, but they will look pretty awesome on my Christmas Tree this year.
For more information on this project, stop by my blog and have a look.
Happy Holidays!

• Paper Straws  (Walmart)
  • Wood beads, Jewelry Beads
  • Pencil, paint brush, ruler, scissors

25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies