Kendall K.
Kendall K.
  • Sumas, WA

New Exterior on an Old House

We bought our first house about 4 years ago. The house was built in 1954 for dairy farm workers. It's very solidly built but has had some pitiful renovations done. Thankfully I can see when something has potential! I couldn't take it anymore so we fixed it up last summer!
new exterior on an old house

We started by replacing all the wood on the front porch. We got the balusters and brackets custom made in Washington which I painted in Behr exterior paint in white. The posts were painted with "classic burgundy"and the wood railings were stained a dark brown.
new exterior on an old house

I used a technique called water staining on the grey concrete to made it brown. It was a messy process that I'm not sure I would do again but it'll do for now 😊
new exterior on an old house

Now for the scary bit..finding out what's under the ugly vinyl siding! Would it be plywood? Newspaper? Something so rotted you can't tell what it was??
Hmmm..dark brown paper..
Hmmm..dark brown paper..

My contractor Mark decided to torment me by taking his time taking the brown paper off.
new exterior on an old house

Lo and behold! 3/4 inch thick, 10 inch wide tongue and groove planks! No rot anywhere! We let out a big sigh of relief I tell you!!

Since the rest of the house is stucco and in great condition, we decided just to replace the siding on the front. So now we replaced the wood around each window, painted the ends of the house and the garage in the classic burgundy and prepared the front for the siding.
new exterior on an old house

Time to replace the front door! We decided to go with a fiberglass door and I designed the glass inserts.
new exterior on an old house

new exterior on an old house

new exterior on an old house

I wanted to have a cottagey look, so I decided to get primed Hardieboard staggered shingle fiber cement siding and paint it. A heck of a lot of work but well worth it!
new exterior on an old house

Almost done! Now just a few final touches
new exterior on an old house

new exterior on an old house

We had put in a border garden and some trees the previous year and it makes such a difference to the final outcome! I love my house now thanks to my contractor Mark and his crew! Thanks guys!
new exterior on an old house

Added an outdoor rug and a funky hand painted bench and chair to make the porch fun!
new exterior on an old house

Since we've done this, our surrounding neighbours have either painted their house or got new front doors! Lol!
new exterior on an old house

• Don13531970

what brand and color of stain did you use on the door?

• Kendall K.

verathane walnut brown gel stain on the door. Took 3 applications because we were scared it would go too dark. Sealed with the non yellowing clear coat

• Karen Selberg-Lavelle

What about the garage, since it was white also? Can you update us after a year or two of weathering to let us know how the stained steps and dark paint are golding up. What a change. Really cute.

• Lsa5864158

She stated she painted the garage burgundy also. And you can see the garage in one of the pictures.

• Kendall K.

Sure I'll do an update! And yes I painted the garage as well

• Penny McLean

Cute as a button house now!!! Where did you purchase the White Scones??

• Cfr2230743

Love the shake shingles painted! But why take the brown paper off to see what was underneath, if you were just putting on more siding?

• Jim L

They were checking for rotten wood!

• Lady Anne

Just exactly what I was going to say. I don't think the original siding was "ugly" but I certainly understand why they wanted to know what was under it.

• Kendall K.

All true but we also wanted to replace it with tyvack because we really had no idea how long the brown had been there

• Judith Swift-Gulli

Just BEAUTIFUL WORMANSHIP AND COLOR CHOICES! Thank you for sharing your pride and joy.

• Susan Fodera

Where did you purchase the front siding? I love the look.

• Kendall K.

It's Hardieboard. Just look that up and you'll find their local retailer in your area

• Mary

When you were mentioning using burgundy and I saw your roof color I thought NO Way! But it looks amazing! Nice work :)

• Sal14948303

Love what you did with the house! I have a question . The decorative trim on the porch posts, what is it called and where do I purchase it? I have a couple of places in my house that I would like to put it. I have asked several people and they know nothing. Thank you for answering.

• Che7774654

What is the name of that paint that you painted the house

• Nancy

This is a beautiful transformation! Is there a reason why you did not add white old carved shutters to beautify the windows and go with the other white accents?

• Valerie Garbini Estes

Did you paint the shingles before or after putting on the house? How did you apply paint - brush, roller or spray?

• Kendall K.

The 2 bottom rows were painted before putting up. The rest painted with brush and rollers after being put up

• Judy

What is the procedure for "water staining?"

• Jls8579022

where did u find the outdoor thermometer? would like to get one...your project looks great...

• Kendall K.

On Amazon it's out of stock where I got it but it's called SPI Home 33648 Scroll Wall Mounted Thermometer so you can search for it.

• Jls8579022

thank u sooooooooooo much..Merry Christmas..June

• Kendall K.

Merry Christmas to you too!

• TnKaren

Love your project! Wondering what the white panels on the banister and corners are, and where you got them.

• Sandra Walburn

Oi would like to ask what is the color of the paint used and brand. I love this.

• Nat24300253

Hi
    Any idea where I can find railings similar to that in the picture?
    Thanks
    Norman

• Kathy Jezik Kottman

What company did you find that let you design your glass insert?

• Diana Gomez

• Joanie

It takes me back to the good ole' days......Yep! A cottage in the woods.....Oh yeah! Great job!! Very comforting. Old, but still works!!