Hide-Away Pantry / Kitchen Storage

$50-75

Get ready for a GAME changer! This is literally changing my life! Haha ok maybe not so dramatic, but this hide-away pantry is an amazing storage alternative that will open up some cabinet space!!! This kitchen storage is made by creating a slim sliding shelving unit for the space between your wall and refrigerator. It's amazing what a little wood and paint will do!
Ok so if you have a cupboard that looks anything like this you need to utilize that space you see to the right beside the fridge.... -Life changed-
SUPPLIES:
-4-5 1"x4"x8' Common Board Panels
-7 7/16" wooden dowels
-Kreg Jig / Kreg Screws
-Drill
-Saw
-Paint (optional)
-4 2" castor wheels
-Measuring tape
-Wood Glue
-Nails
-Handle / Drawer Pull
-Thin Board Cut to size (not pictured above... I used my left over faux brick panel, but you can use bead board or something of that sort)
STEP 1: Measure the height and depth of your refrigerator as well as the space you have available between the wall and the side of the refrigerator.
STEP 2: Use the measurements from step 1 to cut out several wood pieces. You will need a front and back panel, a top and bottom and as many shelves as you desire. Remember that you will be applying wheels to the bottom of the unit so you should subtract the height of the wheels from the length for the front and back panels. Below are the measurements I had and what I cut in accordance. You can use it as a reference:
My refrigerator measured from floor to top at 67" and in depth from front to wall at 31". Keeping in mind that my wood panels were 1" thick and I had 2.25" wheels I cut pieces as follows:
Front & Back - 2 pieces 65"
Top & Bottom - 2 pieces 29"
Shelves - 6 pieces 29"
I also cut each of the 7 wooden dowels to 29" as well.
STEP 3: Set up your cut pieces in a ladder-like style making sure each of them fit together correctly.
STEP 4: Use a Kreg jig to create holes on the bottom of each shelf as well as on the bottom of the top and bottom wood pieces. Place these holes on each end of the pieces. Then screw each shelf and top and bottom panel in their place. I decided to make a variety of shelf sizes to accommodate various dry goods rather than keeping even spacing. Just be sure that you screw each shelf in straight by inserting them at the same height on both the front and back panel.
STEP 5: Once all your shelves are in place it is time to cut out and prepare the back panel for the shelf. (I used a piece of leftover paneling from my faux brick wall project hehe) Just cut a rectangle that is the same size in height and depth as the ladder structure you just created. For instance mine was 65"x31".
When your panel piece is cut and ready to go simply nail it into place on the back of the unit. Nail the panel in place around the perimeter.
STEP 6: Now it's time to add the dowels! Simply grab some wood glue and glue each dowel above each shelf an even distance on each side so it lays straight For the smaller shelves I placed the dowels 2-2.5" above the shelf and for the larger shelves 4-5". Be sure to allow the wood glue to completely dry before moving forward.
STEP 7: Now simply paint or stain your shelving unit in the colors of your choice to match your kitchen! I intend to change my cabinet colors at some point so I just painted it all white to match the refrigerator.
STEP 8: Once your paint has dried you can add the castors and the handle. Screw in 4 wheels to the bottom of the shelf so that it can roll in and out of it's space with ease.
Add the handle to the center of the front panel.
STEP 9: Now simply place your pantry next to your fridge (or in the designated area you made it for) and stock it full of your favorite treats and eats!
Look how discreet that thing is! Geesh I love it.
You have no clue how much cabinet space this has freed up! I don't have space in my kitchen to add any stand alone unit so this sneaky little piece is perfection!
I have been fumbling through my spices for years! Now I can see them all in front of me! Oh man I can't wait to cook. I showed a close up so you can see the brick panel. You can create a design if you want a pop of fun when you open the hideaway too if you want...

• Debbie Spilsbury

Hi Amanda--great job! LOOVE it! I was wondering why you didn't push the fridge so it buts up to the counter to the left? It would give you more width to make your new shelf bigger-----but maybe you can't because of where the water line is for your ice maker, or other 'things' behind the fridge. Just a question- because I'm lovin' your clever ideas!

• Kat

Notice how the door swings open. The door wont open properly to clean out the fridge. I like the way Amanda makes it look so easy!!!

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team

I thought of doing that, but I have something I am storing on that side... I know I'm a hot mess, but in a Brooklyn apartment you gotta use all the space you can get... You can certainly create more space though and use a 5" wide board if you want!

• Eleanor Moyza

Your creativity is TOTALLY AMAZING!!! I would NEVER have thought of that. You did a great job? Are you going to patent this idea?

• Mary Hofstra

Doesn't it get fairly warm next to the fridge, from the motor? Spices shouldn't be stored in a warm location. I can totally understand the small space/use what you got! Wondering if there's something you could do to keep the heat away from the spices right there? Or doesn't it get warm next to the fridge? Just wondering? And BTW, I'm NOT from NM! I wish I was! I'm from MI! Where it's cold! Just ask my granddaughters! We just went and cut down our Christmas trees today! It was freezing, but we had hot chocolate around a bonfire!

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team

My refrigerator doesn't get hot on the sides. All the heat gets released in the back. I haven't had a problem with the spices getting heated at all, but certainly check your fridge beforehand in case. Oh how fun! I miss getting to cut my own Christmas tree down.

• Adrain Clyburn Mattli

If you don't want the spend the money on the kreg Jig you can always use brackets.

• Esther

Clever idea & well done. I'm assuming you have clearance to fully open the door in order to pull out veggie bins & shelves for cleaning.

• Lanier Whilden

Check your refrigerator door and you will probably be able to see that it needs no clearance to open. I just checked and Mine didn't. Yours probably won't either.

• RichandTammy Whiteside

What is this "cleaning" thing that you speak of?

• Esther

Not sure if you're being facetious or serious. Every so often the veggie & fruit bin has bits of remains. The shelves get soiled from spills or sticky stuff.

• Toni White Fancher

Ester I know exactly what you're talking about. My door has to open almost backwards to get my bins out to wash them if something spills in them. Since this fridge door opens towards the wall it must not need to open that wide to remove the bins.

• Diane Heater-Hoadley

That wouldn't work next to my frig. I need clearance for my doors to fully open so I can get open and/or out the fruit and veggie bins. Good idea though.

• Dawn Palencar

Diane Heater-Hoadley...it could be built not as deep as the frig so it can be pushed farther back when door needs that extra room.

• Pamela Robertson Pullmann

You could also make it for the other side of the fridge.

• RichandTammy Whiteside

I'm being facetious, lol. Although I suspect that I'm not the only hometalker who thinks that cleaning is a four letter word and outsources that task. :)

• K SILVESTRI

A lot of the refrigerators have it where u can switch the door handles to opposite side maybe this will help you out with opening your doors enough to pull out vegetable bins

• How does it remain erect when it is all the way out past the refrigerator?

• Kathy

See Step 8 in her directions. There are 4 rolling castor wheels screwed into the bottom the the pull out. Then she attached the handle in the middle of the front board.

• Kathy

Oops...sorry typo error. End of the second sentence should read "into the bottom of the pull out".

• Pamela Robertson Pullmann

A caster on each corner. As long as the back panel isn't too heavy it should balance just fine.

• Janice DeLong

Does the fridge door open all the way?

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team

Yes! The fridge door opens all the way! If you are worried about your door just make sure there is enough clearance either on the side or make it a little less deep than the fridge so it rests behind where the door hinges.

• Susan

I don't usually ask off-topic questions, but I've got to know...why is your microwave on top of the fridge? Do you actually use it up there? Inquiring minds...

• Beverly

Space saving silly! My son does this, frees up the counters,eh?

• Jill Sauerwein

Hilarious that she asked you!

• Hotscotgal

I don't think the question was silly or hilarious...There is no way I could use a microwave on top of my refrigerator as I'm only 5'3" tall! Plus I have never seen one on top of a 'fridge before either...Different strokes....

• Susan

-:) Sunday morning smiles at the answers. Like Hotscotgal, I'm a shortie at 5'2" and I'm afraid I would have to go without a microwave if I had to climb up and down a ladder each time I wanted to use it. If indeed she is using it up there, she's risking disaster from falls and/or burns. Unless, of course, she's considerably taller than me.

• Jana

My daughter and son in law are quite tall. They had theirs on top of their fridge in their old house! Drove ME nuts as I am under 5'2! Thankfully, in their present house it's on the counter. But I sill need a reacher thing to get most stuff they put up high in their cabinets!

• Andréa Turner

I am 6' tall...I put mine on top of my fridge...still very inconvenient to use...Danger of burns HIGH😉 I did this because I was trying to make the microwave such a pain to use that my family would get out of the habit of using it...Happy to report...we no longer use much less own a microwave!!!

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team

Haha that's a great question! We don't use our microwave often and tend to use the stove. We also don't have the counter space for it and we can each reach it when needed without a lot of effort so it works, but I certainly can understand how it wouldn't for all.

• Lorna Holt

As an ER RN I have seen many people with burns from microwaves being higher than bench height, some of them very deep and requiring hospitalisation. There is nothing on this planet that would make me put it "up"; there are multiple options eg on a bar cart, on a small chest of drawers adjacent to the kitchen, put a tray on top of the microwave and use for extra storage, etc for the space-challenged (as I am).

• Susan

Ahhh, Lorna, birds of a feather. I'm now retired but also worked ER for many years. Also, I started my nursing career as a Staff RN in a very famous Burn Unit in Texas, leaving me with a deep respect for anything with the potential to start a fire or cause a burn. All microwave discussion aside, I must tell Amanda her space saving shelves look great and a very innovative idea.

• Eroque022810

My microwave was recently installed over my gas range,talk about fear of burns. I had always had it on counter but new home and such so I only warm up my cream for coffee. I'm a shorty as well, my husband and adult children as well but I have told them not to use if stove is being used.

• Beverly

My son only heats food up in his microwave so that would be an instance where it works for him. We cook on our stove and reheat with microwave .Don't really cook in micro. We're on taller side . Safety first though! Smiles!and keep it safe!

• Lea9378929

Anyone think it might just be up there to store as an extra, not to actually function...completely off topic, the storage pantry is brilliantly!

• Nevashnee

does the heat from the refrigerator not affect the goods in the shelves?

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team

My refrigerator doesn't get hot on the sides. If yours does it may affect it, but they normally aren't terribly hot so it should be alright.

• Joanne Lotempio

you might want to store things that will not be effected by any heat.

• Cheryl Cheek Collier

We have had one of these for about 8 years and love it!❤️

The sides of our fridge doesn’t get hot, so we have never had anything affected. We mostly stored canned goods and spices on it. Boxed items are stored in a smaller closed pantry nearby. It is tight to get the bins out of the fridge to clean, but doable.

• Susan

What is the depth? ie space between fridge and wall. How tight did you make the fit.

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team

I made it the same exact depth as the fridge but only because I knew widthwise there was enough clearance to open the door. If you have a fighter space you may want to make the depth an inch or two less than the depth of the fridge so that when the door swings open you don't have a problem. Unless your door swings from the opposite side then you don't have to worry about it at all!

• Susan

I mean the depth of the shelves eg the width of the space between the side of the fridge and the wall.

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team

The space between my fridge and wall is 5" and the pieces of wood I used were 4" so there is a good 1" gap. Hope this helps...

• Ber7219677

I did the same with our fridge, but I stupidly put a cupboard on top. It all got mouldy. Make sure you have adequate circulation on top of fridge; don't put a plastic tray on top all the way to the wall to stop crumbs from dropping behind the fridge, it'll only encourage mould. The idea is great, if you don't overdo it like me.
  • Victoria

Can u still open the refrigerator door all the way without a problem?

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team

I can! You just have to be sure you have a bit of space between the two OR that it has slightly less depth than the refrigerator so that the door has swing space if that makes sense. Mine hasn't caused any issues.

• Jo Ann Spofford

If the insert is built so that it pushes back so that it is even with the body of the fridge and not the door there should not be a problem.
  • Mark

What keeps the pantry from tilting or falling when it is slid out to gain access to the items?

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team

Because there are 4 wheels it is actually quite sturdy to stand a bit. There is a wall beside mine so it kind of gives it extra support, but I honestly slide mine fully out all the time and it has never fallen.

• Cheryl

Yes I was worried about a tipping problem too for safety reasons. However I think if you just take a small chain and screw one end to the side wall and the other end to the top of the cabinet you wont see it and it would prevent it from tipping forward. Most accidents in the home are ones that can be prevented.
  • Karen Chan Seet

Do you have to worry about any heat coming from the fridge to heat up the stored items as some may be sensitive to heat?
    • Jo Ann Spofford

Most of the heat coming from the fridge is in the back. I don't see where that would be a problem.
    • Jodi Grzeczka

I definitely would consider that!
    • NormaJean Linza

I purchased a cabinet like that. Had it next to fridge and I smelled something strange. Huge black spot on fridge. Shortly after my fridge stopped working. I also had issues opening the door as it was too snug. It needs air to circulate. The salesman said I caused it to happen and I'm lucky it could have caused a fire
    • Susan Snyder

My fridge releases all it’s heat out the back, and there’s not a lot of heat anyway.
    • Jay

This is just what I need! Thank you!
  • Tom Nichols

great idea, but when rolling it out what prevents the cabinet from tilting against the wall?
    • Ell6158233

I made one like this 5 years ago, not this pretty tho. I only put 2 wheels , and only once in all that time have I ever had an issue about it falling. As for things getting warm, never been a problem. Most heat from frig goes up the back, not sides. And yes it frees up so much cupboard space , unbelievable. I moved and even took with me.
    • Mary Blackburn

I did this with peg board and keep all my pots and pans there.

• Jan

What's your question?I would love to see how a space like this could accommodate a broom, mop, and items like this and maybe shelves too.
    • Uncommonsensesc

I was just wondering what I'd do with my broom and mop too but I think that at the back part, I'd take part of the shelf space, leave it open and put in one of the broom/mop/dust pan holders (the kind where you slip the handle into the holder) but I'd still put the shelves at the front part. You'd have the full shelves at the top then half shelves on the bottom front part.
  • Andrea

only question. Great idea, but do you ever have trouble with the refrigerator door being hindered from opening against mobile pantry?
    • Christopher Feeny

The way this is built it will not interfere unless you open the door with the pantry pulled out.
    • Athelyn

To make sure you don't just measure refrigerator minus the door then there is always a couple of inches between frig & wall anyway push it back past door hinges
    • Diana

You could also place it on the opposite side of the refrigerator

• Alexandria

Hi its brilliant, I have seen them before but no one bothered to put instructions, I have about a foot gap so I'm going to do exactly as you have done and because I cook Currie's on a regular basis I'm going to empty two large cupboard's and put all my spices in this, then because fridge/freezer is in the other end of kitchen I can roll it over, if that will work, can't see any reason why it want, great example of how it was done as well
    • Doris Schroeder Adamy

The hinges on many fridge doors allow for the door to open without requiring more space, so it shouldn't be a problem.
    • Andrea

perfect! thanks!
  • Vic25710122

Does the heat from the fridge coming up affect the products on the shelf??
    • Gerry

I was thinking the same thing ....

• Dawn Steinike

It could affect spices, in particular.
    • Sandy

you could leave about 6-8 inches between the bottom of the frame and the first shelf open (no backing) to let air circulate
    • Sunny

yep, good idea but bad for food products. I tried this once and the heat from fridge unit actually made the plastic bottles warm to the touch. I would not store any food products this way BUT it is great hideaway for other items..
    • Scooter Down

If you clean the condenser every three months or if you have pets every month. Refrigerator won't get so warm. Most refrigerators vent the warm air out the front. This is a great idea. Thanks!
      Scooterdown Gold Canyon Arizon.
    • Shawn

My nephew and niece did this same thing about 3 years ago and nothing has ever been ruined as a result of heat coming from the refrigerator.
    • RC Leach

Just don't put anything that is not sealed tight in there, and it should be OK. When I used t be on the road a lot, I warmed some of my well sealed lunches under the hood of the car. Never had any bad effects at all.at all. at all. at all. at all. !!
    • Doug

Most of the zero clearance refrigerators of today do not need to ventilate on the back and sides, they pull in cool air at the bottom on one side and blow it over cooling coils before venting it on the other side of the refrigerator. You can actually feel the warmth coming out one side of the bottom of the refrigerator, if it is this type, when the unit is running.
  • Doris Schroeder Adamy

Before measuring for the rolling shelf, why didn't you move the fridge closer to the cabinet/countertop on the left? By eliminating that gap, you'd have a little more space to make a wider rolling shelf, and it would look neater, as well. There would still be air circulation at the side (above the countertop) and above the fridge.
    • Kga4614474

Because they didn't !!!! I say GREAT job.
      I've been wanting to do this for years !! Great way to use dead space, AND free up cabinet and counter space.
      Good job thinking ahead on paint colors as well. Let's try a little positivity people.
  • C.B.

I'm a little confused about what you did to keep the doweling in place...did you pre-drill holes to insert them into the sides? Did you cut a groove into the side so that they just set inside after being glued in place? I myself would have pre-drilled holes in the sides [& glued them as well] & inserted them as I set each shelf in place. Also, I would've had the very bottom shelf [which acts as the main support for the casters] long enough to hold the sides...over time the weight of everything would cause stress on the bottom board & I think it might get 'pushed up' into the structure. If the bottom shelf goes all the way across, it will support the weight of the side pieces better & not get 'pushed up.' Food for thought...One must also leave space for the fridge 'to breathe' ...great project otherwise!
  • Susan

About how much does this great project cost? It would work perfectly in my kitchen and my refrigerator even looks just like yours! Great idea you had here.
  • Efanem

How are the dowels attached to the side walls?
    • Wendell Cochran

I was thinking the same thing. If the dowels are cut the same length as the shelves, per the cutting guide instructions, what keeps them in place after the sides and back are glued/nailed in place?
  • Diana S

The refrigerator should have some open space all around it to circulate air when the fan runs. By sliding the shelf alongside the refrigerator, does this create issues with food items stored on shelf?
    • Kim

Not any more. The new ones can have a tight fit no problem.

• Roxy blue

You were right at one time. Around here ypu were required to have 2 inches of space on all sides. But now you can hammer it in there if you want
  • Pop32270486

what stops the shelve when you pull it out.
  • Judy Hartle

But is there any problems with the fully opening the refrigerator doors?
    • Debbie Nottingham

I love this idea, only change i'd make is put on opposite side of fridge so I could use max. wall for opening fridge. Great idea Amanda.
  • Patty Anderson

I'm building this! I have my wood, handle, might go dowel or make my own slim bars to keep the cans in. But...my question is, even though I plan on two 1 foot shelves on top, for lightweight stuff, crackers, bagged Splenda, you know, this is still gonna be a tall item that will only be held up by the fridge and freezer. (That's where I'm putting mine, in between the two...) You put your castors side by side, front and back. Good job. But do you still feel the potential of it falling over if you pull it out too far? Is this something we should just be aware of, and pull accordingly? Or does your frame work seem solid enough to stand well without fear of it falling over?
  • Patty Anderson

But wait! There's more....are those fixed castors, or swivel?

• Jeff DiMora

Should be fixed or you can run into possible problems by them spinning
    • Patty Anderson

I agree! I've cut my shelves, stained and polyed them, and ordered, received and mounted "fixed" or "rigid" castor wheels on the bottom shelf. Looks like a poor attempt at a DIY skateboard! Today I will start putting things together. Instead of dowel rods, I used yardsticks for "can control"! I'm thinking the measurements add eclectic charm.....
  • Deb Baxter

How do you keep it from being pulled out too far and falling over?
    • Jeff DiMora

I would put a string or a thin rope like 550 cord, try it off to the wall and back of panty about 6” less then the frig.
  • Cda8278875

How do you open the refrigerator,the door would hit it
  • Dawn Armstrong-Culver

This is great!, However, as well as unfortunately, I have experienced more critters that would enjoy what you have on the bottom shelf, so I would want to put my canned good on the bottom. Would this cause an imbalance?
    • Denise Stacey Mair

Canned goods are heavier and will be fine on the bottom shelf....the extra weight at the bottom will actually help with stability for a narrow / tall structure like this. Call me....organized Engineer 😉
  • Edith Gilliam

What keeps it from falling over when pulled out ?
  • Pat Brady Roman

Where I would have to put it is a baseboard heating unit, would that interfere with the food
    • Angela Corley

most foods are labeled do not expose to temps if you can sift thru the rest of the stuff to find it

• Judith Ann Barrett Cranston

I also thought about the heat from the side of the fridge. Sometimes the sides got very warm from the motor. And maybe there should be ventilation around the fridge because of that!?
  • Car19419687

How did you get the dowels installed? It looked like to me that the unit was already put together before they were installed.
    • Audrie Sumner

It would be better to drill holes the size of the dowels and install them when you put the shelves together.

• Deborah

Do all refrigerator doors open well with something right up against them?

• Sherry

That was my first thought too.

• Rose

I know my fridge door would hit against the shelf

• Mary williams

Allow for that in planning the depth of your shelves - make sure you can push it back beside the refrigerator so the door doesn't hit it when opened all the way.

• Linda McCain Morris

How do you keep the shelf from making rub marks on the wall and fridge when you move it in and out?

• Gen

You can just put felt strips on the back

• Em

you can put two strips of wood on the floor to make a track so it goes in and out straight every time

• Mary williams

You can put felt strips or dots on the front and back of the shelf unit.

• Yannis.maniatis

Does the heat produced by the refrigerator motor affect the stored items?

• Delores Snellen

why not move the refrigerator against the counter and you could have made more room for the shelf

• Kate

Air flow

• Robin

If it was my fridge you can't open the door all the way, which means the sliding meat shelf that is enclosed can't be opened.

• Linda Todd

What would you do if you don’t have refrigerator end panels or a wall?

• Marie

Seems that this too would be a dust/dirt catcher...have you seen the kind of mess your frig motor accumulates and blows around? Maybe think to put thin plexy glass sliding door over the open side?!

• Robbie Sanders

Not sure abt all fridges, but mine is totally enclosed. We pulled it out to clean, no dirt, no dust, no dog hair. If anyone was going to have dog hair, it would be me..2 Sibs.

• Heather Campbell Wachs

Fridges still need air space around them or the motors burn out quicker from the heat.....so I have been told by the appliance guys!

• Jewellmartin

I was wondering why Robbie left the three inches between the counter and the fridge. I think a little dusting is a small price to pay for so much storage. Great take on a great idea. ☺️

• Bonlou Gammon

I was just thinking the same thing, I know mine gets dirty and real dusty .

• Marie

I think even if you were to drill some small holes in the plexy glass would still deture the dust/dirt from the products stored on the sliding shelve would give air throughout and still prvent the collection of dirt and would also prevent anything from falling off when pulling out for use.

• Caroshina

Take each opportunity to access the dust from behind your refrigerator- if you can pull it out, clean the dust when you see it.

• Susan Elliott

My home is a farm, so dust is an everyday thing, literally everywhere, all the time, so this isn't any worse than anywhere else! Lol!

• Denise Wettering

No worse than wood stove i would imagine. Ive never seen much dust from. My refrigerator. I must be the lucky one!

• Mary williams

You should clean the dust etc. from the back of the fridge regularly to keep it running smoothly and not overheat. Clean shelf unit at same time.

• Rub32297198

Hi there. Great idea! But wouldn’t the food from the heat of the fridge deteriorate quicker?

• Jewellmartin

No. The side of my fridge is room temp. And several of the items I see are those we often refrigerate unnecessarily. More refrigeration available. ☺️

• Denise Wettering

I really love this idea. I have a trailer so i have no more than 2-3 inches to work with so not enough , but i could make a half size next to stove and frig to top of cubboard. Maybe i will try that i love this idea always have!

• Sootie

Feel the sides of your tridge, and if it's hot, you may need a new one. I see this concern often and fridges do not generate heat . If that was the case, there would not be cabinets next them. This pull out storage is the same thing as a cabinet. It's a wife's tale.

• Tina

Cute. It looks like this is even with the front of the refrigerator doors. Can the doors open all the way? It would seem that this would need to be even with where the door and refrigerator come together in order for the door to open completely.

• Donna Wermuth

Look at the bottom of the picture and you can see that it is not even. From the top and middle it does look that it is even.

• Tina

Now I see it! Thank you.

• Sandra

Have you ever considered old drawers? We did! Paid 1.00 per drawer and used molding for frontage...

• DJ

Sandra, would you share some photo's of yours that you made from drawers? I'm intrigued by the idea.

• Clarice

That sounds great! You should put yr idea on here or send it to me!!!

• Susy Slaughter

Yes please Sandra I need to see thist made out of drawers what kind of drawers

• Anne-Marie Feikema

Brilliant idea!

• Rebecca Helms

Wow I would love to see that!

• Kelly Rader

I’d like to see the drawer pantry too!

• Frances Blum

I would love to see the one made out of drawers also

• Candyhd84

Me too. I could use the extra storage and I believe I have just enough room next to my fridge.

• Ivon

The drawer pull-out is really simple---salvage an old drawer--paint--add slats on front of drawer or dowels inside drawer to hold items in drawer--add wheels to bottom--add handle for pull-out on front---just make sure the drawer fits between fridge and wall before starting.

• Linda West

I love this idea. I already purchased a small rolling metal shelf for this purpose.

Your plan gave me an idea to upgrade my pantry. The pantry is very deep, no sliding shelves. I have priced regular pull out shelving but that it out of my budget! I would like to adapt this to go inside either on wheels or some other slide out method. Any ideas for me?

• Iris Lillie Fields

What keeps it from tipping over if you accidentally pull it out too far? I would hate to have it tip over dumping everything, even more not falling on some one.

• Nikki

This may be a silly question

but is it safe to keep food items so close to the fridge

would they not spoil some items ?

• Stacey

Dumb question... just wondering what the width is... wondering how much space you would need?

• Bodyshopsue

A 4x board is 3 1/2” wide plus whatever “thin panel” you choose for the backing.

• ButtaPcan

Yeah true, maybe it needs 2B on the other side ?

• Carol

How do you attach it to the frig? I might have missed that part.

• Cathy sunshine

It’s on wheels it’s not attached.

• Cathy sunshine

This is a great idea. I know what my husband will be doing on his day off. Lol

• Catherine Klyne-Pearen

I am assuming 2 wheels beside each other, front and back give it stability. I think I would screw a small block to the floor so it couldn’t be rolled past the side of the fridge and tip over.

• Jacx

Wish i had space to do this. My fridge is right against the wall! Love the idea. Well done.

• Linda

What a great idea. I will be showing this to Hubby :-) Thank you for sharing

• Diane Goodman

Oh, My Gosh... That is just what I need for my kitchen. What a great idea. Do you know about how much it cost to make this mini pantry ?

• Margot

So I imagine there's still room for the door of the fridge to open?

• E

The refrigerator use the opening to discard heat from the exchanger fins in the back. Have you noticed any higher temps on your stored foodstuffs in the unit?

• Spanky

I was wondering the same thing. Noticed there were spices and heat can ruin them.

• RichandTammy Whiteside

It looks like she could eek out just enough space for the appropriate ventilation by scooching the refrigerator to the left. AJ Madison states you need approximately 1/4" on each side and 1" on the top but I'm guessing that can differ depending upon the age of the appliance.

• Lillyrose

I have seen this project done several times on this website. My question is, would it get too hot with the warm air coming from the refrigerator. Spoilage is my only concern, otherwise it is a great solution for extra slim storage space. Has anyone had a problem with this?

• Laura Palmer Peterson

So it's not attached to anything? What keeps it balanced? Could I use some kind of track, like a slide out track?

• Jeanne Martin

As long as you don't pull it all the way out it should be fine with the wall and frig supporting it. I am planning to make one soon and I'll add a "stop" on the wall or frig that will prevent it from being pulled all the way out by accident. The stop is just a command hook mounted sideways so the hook catches the back board.

• Bia

There are four castors or wheels on the bottom. two on either side. It rolls and balances between the refrigerator and the wall.

• Joy Sheffield

Mine has a lip along the bottom of each shelf and the shelves are on a key strip so they’re adjustable

• Gail Champion

My motorhome has one built in but didn't have bars to keep everything tucked in. I use small pressure curtain rods. They work very well and can be adjusted as well.

• Lora Taylor Hyatt

I have seen these several times over the years and I’ve always wanted to make one, now you have inspired me to do it thanks for the great tutorial ! Even have some other ideas running through my head to make it even better for my needs!