Quick and Easy Upcycled Christmas Decoration Light Boxes

$5

I have seen these pretty glass boxes with Christmas lights in them. But I didn't have any glass boxes on hand so I decided to experiment with some empty cd cases. I had a bunch of empty cases due to another project that used the unwanted cd's. (I made some shiny placemates with them in case you are curious :-) but that's another story.
Anyway as it turns out these light boxes where pretty simple to make. The whole project only took about an hour. Each cube takes three empty cd cases. The first step is to remove the paper and the plastic inserts from all the cases.
Assemble the boxes with clear packing tape. This step is a little tricky as the case are very wobbly until they are secured with the packing tape. You can see in the video how I use my tape holder to prop the cases up while taping them together.
Then decorate the boxes with some ribbon and insert the Christmas lights.
This short video shows the simple process.
If you like upcycling and would like received email notifications on other projects and news from the LAB, please follow the link below to subscribe to the Upcycled Design Lab email list.

• Empty cd cases
  • Packing tape
  • Christmas lights

Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

• Becky

Do you think these could be used outside maybe stacked in a large pot and some greenery?

• Jeri Hedges

How hot does all those lights get?

• Kathy Borsa

Could you possibly use colored tissue paper for the inside. I so hate to see the green wires from the lights.
    • MADI

Kathy, Fairy Lights are clear corded. I also have a couple of miniature lights with clear cords - ck. on-line.

• Kathy Kovacev

Lovely and very clever. I love your idea. I might, since I want to do this, once the box is assembled, mod podge the out side of the box and coated the whole thing in Epsom salts to give it a snowy affect. Thanks for the idea. Love it.

• Thank you. 😊